Men's competition hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wyllo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

pierre pierre pierre :artsy: (still swooning) need there be any others?

2. itorres

itorres New Member

I have the same hairdo, too... :)
    But you can see some hair on top if you're reasonably close.. :lol:

Have people suggested you shave it all off?
    Couple of guys and a girl did so to me. The primary reason was not dancing, but that allegedly it would make me look younger and supposedly girls thought it was sexy.
    Girls any thoughts, so we know? :wink:

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

shave it off :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. kdogg

kdogg New Member

Umm...I wonder what kind of Asians she's talking about. Asia is a big continent.

5. Josh

Josh Active Member

I have short hair and do not do ballroom competition, but if you want a less slicked-back look while still keeping it in place, a wax might do the trick. I use Aveda's Control Paste -- it's very thick, but not "gluey."

Also, something to be said about all this and hair is that you should use a product and hair cut/style that will fit YOU, not someone else. If you are not comfortable with your hair (or clothes, etc.) it can be difficult to perform at whatever you're doing, be it ballroom dancing or playing basketball. I would hope that judges would grade more on the performance than the hair, so make sure you feel comfortable enough to perform well.

6. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

Pierre not only had the "natural", but he also rocked the mustache. He was a true rebel in the world of standard ballroom.

7. alemana

alemana New Member

bwahahah

"what is the stuff in a jar that i saw a male competitor putting on his face before he danced? when he saw me he hid it behind his back!"

PEOPLE!!!

it's MAKEUP. most likely FOUNDATION.

i'm not laughing because men wearing makeup is funny, i'm laughing because it's hysterial that this wouldn't be plainly obvious - all the clues are there. to the grand mystery!

all but one of the male pro's in my world wear it at every comp. some more than others - some just foundation and a little powder, some all that plus some eyeliner, some just some color (blush), some are wearing all that and more.

let the freakout begin!

8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Of course man wear makup... :) They sould do it every day, their features get som much nicer.. (joking)

9. alemana

alemana New Member

totally. when i saw my coach after he danced at a recent comp, all bronzed and plucked and made up, i was like DELISH, you look fab.

10. wyllo

wyllo New Member

Yep, the world would be a much more distracting place if men paid a little more attention to their appearance. :lol:

11. lynn

lynn New Member

hmm, that's a good business idea, anyone interested in patent that?? but seriously, that's why male skin care lines having been selling so well these couple of years!

12. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I finally started putting "something" on my face, because i was sick of it looking like on the videos that I had a gotee or beard when I had just shaved. I looked like I had a Homer Simpson muzzle.

13. alemana

alemana New Member

yeah, i've seen it used very well to minimize that.

14. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I finally started putting "something" on my face, because i was sick of it looking like on the videos that I had a gotee or beard when I had just shaved. I looked like I had a Homer Simpson muzzle.[/quote]

Do you mind sharing what you use? My partner has the same problem. Does regular foundation work to cover that up or do you need something thicker?

15. kdogg

kdogg New Member

I don't like putting stuff on my face. Except during winter when my skin gets dry I put some lotion.

16. alemana

alemana New Member

if i had a partner who wanted to find foundation that worked, i would try out my own on him first (if skin tones were similar) to get an idea of color correctness and level of coverage. if he wanted more coverage, i'd take him to Sephora or whatever and ask them to recommend a fuller-coverage foundation.

i see this *all* the time in sephora - guys trying out stuff. in new york at least, it is pretty standard.

17. Josh

Josh Active Member

... I think a little more time in the gym and healthy eating is the answer here wyllo, not necessarily makeup :D . (picturing a really fat guy drinking beer and watching football on a sunday, then reaching down to get his makup to powder his face)

18. wyllo

wyllo New Member

:lol: Yes, I was thinking more along the lines of paying attention to appearance/hygiene as opposed to rouge and powder puffs.

19. alemana

alemana New Member

the male pro's i know are incredibly health conscious and obsessed with grooming... they're already starting out with a much more highly evolved self-care regimen than most men.

they use makeup in performance for the same reason everybody uses makeup on the stage. to make their features visible from a distance and occasionally to cover something undesirable up.

20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I don't either