Men's competition hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wyllo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I could swear that one of the mid-priced cosmetic companies just recently introduced a line of skin-care products for men which includes makeup. Not a lot, mind you. Something that is supposed to blend and even the skin tone ...

Can't remember for sure. :? I'll google it later, when I get some time.
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

isn't makup, makup.. Reall, why do men need a separate line... It's the same stuff anyway...
  3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

My coach admires my physique. She tries to improve my facial by putting something on my face. She says, "if I can just improve your facial." She insists that there shouldn't be any secret between a student and dance coach, like between a doctor and patient. I can't allow her to put make up on my face-I am a champion chauvinist pig. What's the best way for a man to learn make up discretly? What does Sephora do? Where are they located? I see make up ads from Lisa Bentley often. Does she take a male customer?
  4. lynn

lynn New Member

i know some teenage boys go through their moms' drawers just to cover up the zits on their face. But that's what make up is used for - to cover and to enhance! frankly, as long as it's not excessive (men & women alike), moderate use of makeup should be fine.
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

ANY makeup counter will put makeup on a man. they don't care as long as they feel they might get a sale. if you say "i'm a dancer and i am looking for something to even out my skin tone," i GUARANTEE they will provide you the magical fluid you seek. they'll understand instantly.

SEPHORA is unique because you can try everything yourself OR get help putting it on, choosing colors, etc. at a dept store you usually need to get a salesperson to assist/provide samples.
  6. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Actually, if I go to Junior competitions I see the mothers opening up large make up boxes and get busy putting make ups to their children. I think that most of these mothers are Russians and east Europeans.
  7. alemana

alemana New Member

the makeup on men thing is pretty much standard at this point. in latin/rhythm, it's standard to start with the fake tan for overall color, then use makeup to even out and highlight.
  8. lynn

lynn New Member

I remember seeing a figure skating comp a couple of years ago. One of the competitors (can't remember if he's russian or european) was actually sporting a lot of blush and makeup - i think my tv just has too good of resolution!
  9. Josh

Josh Active Member

I love Sephora--I buy frangrances there all the time... I feel like I'm getting high when I go inside. :D
  10. Josh

Josh Active Member

True--but:

1) Because men won't buy stuff that's labelled for women (and often, vice-versa) --so companies MUST label them as men's products or they won't sell to men
    2) People in general feel that the more personalized something is, the better it will work for them

If all the products were labelled as men's products, wouldn't you feel a little intimidated shopping for and buying them? When I shop for skin care products for example, I always hate it that there are 285 different ones for women, and only 2 for men.
  11. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I'm told it was studio fix foundaiton from Mac. Luckily, Laetitia and I have virutally identical skin tones, so she just slapped it on me.
  12. Katarzyna

I know.. it just seems silly ...
  13. Kitty

Kitty New Member

accusing Russians and Eastern Europeans of all sins again... thank you very much :evil:

most of dancing kids are Russian or Eastern European, so their mothers are as well, but somehow I don't think make up thing is specific to Russian moms. Prove it!

Maybe it is a thing of moms of danicng kids in general, has nothing to do with Russianness... just the danicng culture somehow convinces moms it is neccessary...
    Before you find a significantly large sample of non-Russian moms of dancing kids and show that they put less make up on their kids than average Russian ones, I don't believe you and get offended that Russians are accused of everything :( Such negative stereotypes that YOU are creating here!

and btw I know only of one American mom that had a dancing kid (she was also a coach herself) and she was putting very indecent make up on her daughter... (and on her students as well... scary scary lots of make up)
  14. Katarzyna

?? only 1
  15. contracheck

contracheck New Member

16. Katarzyna

I always think of asian man as having nice shiny hair... but maybe it depends where they're from..
  17. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Cambodians, Thais, Taiwanese, Singaporeans, Malaysians, Koreans, to name a few. I've been to India and they have that thick hair, too. Up in Kazakhstan & Mongolia they have thick hair as well.
  18. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I hate generalizations

my mom, for example, doesn't know anythng about make up. The only make up she has ever owned is mascara, but I haven't seen her use it ever...
  19. contracheck

contracheck New Member

You mean stereotyping? When you don't have any specific information you have to let generalization lead you to make wise decision. Generalization is better than nothing
  20. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member