Men's competition hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wyllo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. contracheck

contracheck New Member

How about Italians, Spainards, and Latinos? Don't they have thick soft curly sexy hair? Asian hairs are the worst kind. Just look at Bruice Lee's hair. They are in general coarse, stiff, straight, and ugly - much like pig hairs. How many Asian Antonio Bandera or Tom Cruise are there?

2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Geez, what are you trying to say? :shock:
    My Japanese husband has very thick and straight hair, but it is hardly llike pig's hair and it is very healthy and beautiful.
    I have Spanish blood and my hair is thick and straight. In my 20 years in the USA I had not found any decent hair gel to keep my heavy hair in place, but in this part of the world the products are more suited to my hair type. (I use men's hair gel, whichhas an even harder finish than women's)

3. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

how rude :x

4. contracheck

contracheck New Member

So what did I say? Your Japanese husband is a lucky chap.

5. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Oh? Rude? If Asian boys and girls have such nice hairs why so many of them change their hairs to look like western hairs - brown, blonde. This is particularly evident in competition.

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I googled. It's L'oreal Paris. I went to their website, but it was SO irritating that I didn't stay long. They have a whole line of men's skin care products. I think some things, like the moisturizers, are probably similar to women's products just labelled as men's. (Point taken, josh. 8) ) But some products, such as the lotions to prevent and/or soothe problems caused by shaving facial hair? I think those a pretty much specially formulated for men.

I think that there's a large area of overlap between everybody's skin types. But there are ares of unique needs, IMO. Men have some needs unique to them, the same as teens or people over 40 or people with uneven skin tones or people with acne all do.

Way to go, L'Oreal, IMHO. :D

7. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Because in their culture, where EVERONE has black hair and brown eyes, they are striving to be different, to stand out. I personally don't like when Asians color their hair, because they have such lovely, shiny, TRUE black hair to begin with- especially the women, when they grow their hair long.

8. pygmalion

I've seen similar things here, cocodrilo -- obviously Japanese people with auburn hair and blonde highlights. I find it very discordant, since I think the straight, black hair is absolutely beautiful. I can't imagine why anyone normal would want to change it.

Ballroom comps, of course, are a different world. There, everybody changes their hair, if they think it'll help them win. :lol: :lol: I know caucasian women (brunettes, I think) with hair the color of red delicious apples and natural blondes with jet-black hair. No joke. So, seeing an Asian ballroom dancer with blonde hair is pretty tame, by comparison, IMO. :wink: 8)

9. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Yeah, I've seen it! I like to look at the amazing photos(mostly Jonathan's!) in the photo album to check out the cool poses and gorgeous costumes, but that hair sometimes- GEEZ! And the make-up which is probably applied with a putty knife, but I realize it is for theatrics and is a necessary part of competition.

10. contracheck

contracheck New Member

11. pygmalion

Meaning what? 8)

12. pygmalion

And ... onward an upward. :wink: Back to men's make-up. 8) :wink:

I can understand men wearing makeup in performance settings -- dance or theater, or whatever.

But do you think makeup for men will ever really catch on? I know it's starting to become available. That L'Oreal line has all sorts of stuff -- anti-sagging lotion for men's skin, for Pete's sake. But do you think the ordinary guy will ever feel comfortable wearing cosmetics?

13. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I don't know if you mom is a Russian but I seriously beleive that Russian Moms are best moms. They have the best part of Eatern Moms and Western Moms. Thier sacrifice for their children are incredible.

14. contracheck

contracheck New Member

I went to a new barber in preparation for Empire State comp. He cut it too short, almost to the level of flat top. I faced a major disaster. I tired many gels in desperation. The one that worked for me was a cheap jar of LA Look.

15. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

I used to use LA Look gel for comp. 'do, too!

16. pygmalion

Uhh... I suspect that a whole lot of Moms, worldwide, make incredible sacrifices for their children. 8) So yeah. Russian moms rock! But then, so do a whole lot of Moms, IMO. And there are a lot of Russian Moms who've abandoned or abused their kids. Same as everywhere else on the globe.

That's the danger in race or nationality-based generalizations, IMO. Just by definition, they're both true and untrue. *shrug* :?

17. pygmalion

Yep. It's all in the right products. :D Forget about the underlying hair. Just buy the right gel. :lol: :lol:

18. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I always get my hair cut a couple weeks in advance, and then get a clean up on the neckline right before the comp. I think the fresh cut looks too fake on me, and I have a light scalp and dark hair, so letting it grow for a couple weeks lets the hair have a chance to lay right.

19. contracheck

contracheck New Member

"race or nationally-based generalizations" or not the underlying problem is more fundamental: You can't argue with women. If I say one thing they attack, I say the opposite thing they still attack. I never can win.

20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Just remember you said that!