Men's competition hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wyllo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. guille_bdancer

guille_bdancer New Member

Men's Hair

Going back to makeup on the guys... 4voo and studio5 also sell makeup for guys, powder and liquid bronzers/tanners and if someone doesn't feel comfortable (for whatever reason) going somewhere or wants to de discreet about it (according to what someone wrote... forgot who) these companies sell online also... although I would sugest trying out anything before buying (which implies going somewhere... I'm contradicting myself... I know.. :? )
  2. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Re: Men's Hair

Most definitely one should try out make-up before purchasing. The color may not be flattering to your complexion, you may not care for the texture or the fragrance of the product or you may even have an allergic reaction to it.
  3. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Very wise - I'll try to remember it. Thanks. I have tendency of doing things at the last minute and foget something. I forgot to take shoes and wallet once. I had to borrow money from my coach at the door. Last time I forgt my suspenders.
  4. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

If you love your mum, she's the best mum in the whole world, wherever she's from. That's how it works.
  5. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Products & Proceedures for Gentleman Hair

Previously I use Hair Gel or Hair Spray or a combination of both. However I can't seem to get the "full" look, yet neat and sleek that professional ballroom dancers get.

I bought some hair mousse today to try, but it doesn't seem to hold very well. I heard you have to blow dry after styling with mousse so it holds, is that what I'm missing?

Also, would you like to share information about products and step by step procedures you do your hair for competition?
  6. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

How long is your hair?

With short hair, I find mousse works fine without any special drying, as long as you use plenty of it. The trick is to get the look exactly right before it sets, since you won't be able to adjust it afterwards without having to redo it.

I suspect hair styling skills matter as much or more than the specific products used.
  7. dancerman

dancerman Active Member

Where did you buy the mousse and what brand? I use it because I keep my hair pretty short and like some lift to the top. I don't like to say I spike it because that always makes me think of someone with a Mohawk!
    The CVS and Walmart quality doesn't do anything for me so I buy from the place that styles my hair. I actually use the same thing the person who styles my hair uses. Since I don't use that much it isn't that costly.
    What I like is that if it loses control after a while, wetting my hair seems to bring it back. I never blow dry it, because my hair is short. In fact I don't even own a dryer anymore.
    The brand I am using right now is energel by MATRIX MEN. It's a flexible styling gel but I know it comes in different types.
    Hope that helps
  8. Yuan Ren

Yuan Ren New Member

Ballroom Haircut for Guys

I searched the forum, but didn't see any topic on this, so here it is.

Which hair salon do you go to?

What do you say to your hair stylist? (0 on the back and side, keep the top long? show them a picture of mirko?)

What do you do with your hair? (Gel all the way? Comb and Spray?)

What product/brand do you use? (Gel? Spray?)
  9. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Personally, I choose to keep mine different from most guys. Keep it rather short even on top, and run it forward, not back. just put gel on my hand and mess it up. Hate looking like everyone else.
  10. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

It's actually a good idea to print out a nice neat top pro guy's photo to show the hair stylist. A friend of mine did so, a picture is better than a thousand of words.

Yes you could tell them front long and back short. That's what my pro dancer friends said.
  11. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Some pro guy told me that at 32nd street between 5th Ave & Madison (near the old address of BOF), there is a hair salon where some top pros go there, the prices is outrageous but they say it's good. I've never been there myself though.
  12. Yuan Ren

Yuan Ren New Member

Thanks, Standarddancer. I will try it this week and see how it goes.

If people know any good pro hair pictures, please pm me with the link.

13. Chiron

Chiron New Member

If you have lighter hair (i.e. not black) you may want to stay away from 0 and 1 right before the competition. Blond or light brown hair doesn't look as good that short IMO. However in between a 1 and 2 and you're good to go (at least I am).
  14. Josh

Josh Active Member

lol, that's exactly what I did--showed her a picture of Mirko. It's actually very long on top (comes down to tip of my nose when I comb straight down) but I comb it straight back. Wax to begin with when it's damp, comb back, then hairspray, comb again, then hairspray again. Prive is the product I use.
  15. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Men's Standard Hair

I apologize if there is a thread on this already (can't imagine there wouldn't be), but I couldn't find one. Any information on how to get that "first-day-of-school-little-kid-in-the-1950's" hair that most of the Standard dancers seem to have? Is it as simple as Brylcreem or is there another set of modern hair products/procedures commonly used?
  16. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

I do smooth which allows a bit more leeway but the principles are the same. I use Redken's Grip Tight, but my hair is very short and heavy so it doesn't take much to keep it in place. Do what the women do: find a picture of someone with the hair you want, go to a stylist, and ask him or her to make your hair look like the picture. Find out what products you need to style it on your own and learn to use them before the comp. Then do what everyone should do: next time your hair looks the way you want it do, whether it's that day or two weeks later, take a picture of yourself for future records.
  17. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

No need to go that far, IMO.

I use Dep hair gel... the blue one which I believe is 'super-hold'. On that a very hi-level Am dancer at our studio was asked the same question. He answered with hair gel, (of any brand btw) but the key in his opinion was to top that off with hair-spray... YES on top of the gel.
  18. After the Gel....

Hair Spray - lots of Hair Spray

I know people here can attest to massive amounts I use. But then again, my hair won't move if I sleep on it for a few days. <-- Probably don't need to go that far.
  19. vcolfari

vcolfari Member

Thank you for the suggestions. Would a heavy wax followed by hair spray do the trick or is gel really my best bet?
  20. I find wax is usually too thick and tough to work with. I played with it a bit today and had some decent results though.

I suggest buying a few different products and playing around until you/he finds a style that works and is easy to replicate.