Men's competition hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wyllo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. kimV6

kimV6 New Member

i let a female teammate do my hair for me at every comp. i always seem to mess it up when i try, and women always seem to do hair much better. a combination of some $1 cvs gel, and their hairspray usually does the trick.
  2. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

Of course if you're follicly-challenged, things are much simpler ;-) I'm bald on top so I just have the rest of it cut quite short and trimmed neatly and I'm all set. No further chemical assistance necessary.
  3. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

Men's hair products - help!

Does anyone know of some great products for hair that would help a gentleman (with hair of varying length) to keep it slicked back? My DP and I dance standard, and he has been trying to recreate the "wet, slicked back" look that Roberto Villa wears

(Pictures here: http://www.danceuniverse.co.kr/phot...r=&PHPSESSID=f1a33efcb725fc4d635b6bf07bf5d7cd)

He's tried industrial strength hair gel, but that often just keeps it down in front and then causes the ends to stick straight out the back (over the top of his head) when they dry - they don't lay flat to the head. Hairspray/wetting the hair/gel have also been tried in varying combinations, but no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated!
  4. katherinejh

katherinejh Member

Using a hairdryer to dry it flat to the head with the gel/hairspray might help.

I am not a man, however, so my advice might not help.
  5. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

Thanks katherinejh!

Great advice - although we've tried that and it just insists on coming back out to points in the back. Think Sonic the Hedgehog. :D
  6. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I will ask my partner about it today... we talked about it a few weeks ago (after world latin) and he was saying something about it being actual oil and a combination of something else that a lot of them use.

I have also heard of the hairspray until hair is wet, then blow dry, to get a shellac-ed look.
  7. waltzgirl

waltzgirl New Member

My pro, who has very curly hair, uses many coats of hairspray, blow-dried between each coat.
  8. AMeader

AMeader New Member

I've heard that gel can be used in the same way... put it all on at once and it doesn't quite do the trick... but gel it down in layers and you have a winner!
  9. Benjy

Benjy Member

So the way I do it is as such.

This requires fairly long hair to be really effective, and your hair MUST be dry.

I use a first coat of very strong hair gel mixed with got-2 b glud (or whatever it is called... it's basically hair glue and it comes in a yellow tube). I just smear them together in my hands and work it very thoroughly into my hair (all the way down to the roots, and don't miss the hairs around the ears). Then I comb it into position using a fine tooth comb. This is the hardest part, and requires at the very least two mirrors (another person helping is ideal) so you can see the back. Cowlicks usually cause splits to occur in the "helmet". I then blowdry the helmet thoroughly, being careful not to cause any splits to open.

I now apply an additional 2-4 layers of gel smoothed onto the top of the hair. I use a "wet-look" gel, but I don't think it really makes much of a difference. Between each layer of gel (which, again, is smoothed on, not combed through), I blowdry again.

Next is hairspray. Use a shiny, megahold bottle of ozone-hole causing carcinogens, the gnarliest stuff you can find (I alternate between layers of got2b glued blasting freeze spray and "freeze it: mega Freeze hairspray", with "optical brightners". The Freeze it stuff is so corrosive I actually have to get up and walk around between applications.

Anyway, each time you spray, hold the can about 2 inches from your head and goes in rows until your whole head is covered, soaking the hair through each time, and blowdry. I do 3 layers of hairspray usually, and often touch up with hairspray between rounds.

Finally, I apply a shine oil... those are easy to figure out I think

This takes about an hour
  10. latervet1

latervet1 Member

Wow- thats intense. It does my heart good to know that some of you guys are going thru as much trouble with you hair as the women.
  11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Pomade, laid on thick.
  12. HCMikeC

HCMikeC New Member

I second this. I think I'd cry if I spent an hour on my hair.
  13. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I was just thinking this. Ha. Speard the work around.
  14. jofjonesboro

jofjonesboro New Member

Taking a step back.

Before we have guys shaving their heads and painting their scalps glossy black, I think that some consideration of going to extremes for a "Valentino-look" is in order.

First, does such a look actually enhance a performance? Does the wet, slick look produce better scores in competitions? Should men with blond and light-brown hair dye it black to achieve this look? (OK, that last one is a bit silly.)

I'm aware that the har must not serve as a distraction from the dancing. Still, I've noticed that many pros simply keep their hair neatly trimmed.

Also (coming from a family with several barbers and hairdressers), I hope that the guys using some of the chemical engineering described above are washing that stuff out as soon as possible and taking care of their scalps. Otherwise, in about fifteen years, you won't have to worry about your hair anymore.

jj
  15. fire_dancer

fire_dancer New Member

Thanks so much Benjy for the fantastic, detailed steps! I'll pass them along to DP and see what he thinks - we have a showcase performance coming up on Saturday so it may be the perfect opportunity to try this method out. It certainly sounds effective!

Thank you thank you thank you!
  16. Benjy

Benjy Member

If you need more help in the future with more specific products or suggestions for different hairtypes, let me know via private message.

And yes, the hair helps in competitions, because it gives the immediate impression of being competent and put together. I would say look is one of the crucial, cannot-be-left-out steps. That being said, there are multiple looks that get the job done, and one need not dye their hair.... blond hair benefits from this treatment as well.
  17. roxie333

roxie333 New Member

While I am not a guy, I do know that for weddings, people with long hair, either guys or girls, tend to use a LOT of hairspray. With sufficient hairspray, I have seen people go outside in 60 km/h winds and not a single hair would move out of place!
  18. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to my world.... *grin*
  19. guille_bdancer

guille_bdancer New Member

too late... already shaved mine :p

We'll see how all these suggestions work for me when I let my hair grow again. I have used got2b glued or spiking glue followed with layers of hairspray ... blowdrying after each layer...
  20. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

Any recommendations for Latin and Rhythm hairstyles? Also, do you wear your hair differently in Smooth than Standard? What about if you are dancing in multiple styles on the same day? Do you change your hair between styles?