Men's competition hair

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wyllo, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Arthanis

Arthanis New Member

In cosmetics store ask for any oil based hair shine product , they usually come in small bottles with or without a spray nozzle. I currently use a cheap (almost noname :D )local product and it does the job alright.
    I cup one palm and pour out half an ounce into it , spread it over both palms and apply in 2-3 light slick back motions over my head. I do this after my gel and spray are dry.
  2. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

I myself don't need to worry about hair products!!!
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Bwahahaha!
  4. Mshefi_107

Mshefi_107 New Member

I've actually done that before, the dying it black coz my natural hair is brown... But if I use La Pebra's it usually holds pretty well, and gives it some shine. My coach has suggested baby oil for the shine, but I'm yet to try it. As for @Benjy, I'm not sure I'm going to punish my hair in the same way, but I'll try the blow-drying between layered applications of gel.

Are we all in consensus that a longer neck line is achieved by trimming the hair up the neck, even as far as level with the ear-lobes?

Can I throw a spanner in the works? I see we've been going on about Asian vs white hair, and the best way to style it and hold it, but what about black hair? Seriously, the curls and afro is untidy, and I dislike men to go clean shaven on their heads. Also, in Zulu and Xhosa culture, men DO NOT braid their hair, so cornrows are way out. Personally, I think a brush cut with neatly trimmed edges looks neatest, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?
  5. Mshefi_107

Mshefi_107 New Member

Johnson's Baby Oil?
  6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Try Argon oil. (also known as Moroccan oil) You get the shine without the oily feeling in your hair. Argon oil is a 'dry' oil, so it shouldn't feel heavy or greasy.
  7. Foxytrot

Foxytrot New Member

Guys have it so easy.. I wish all I had to take to comps is a suit, bronzer & some hair spray.
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

We *do* have it easy, but that's understating what's required for our hair.
  9. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Still easier than women's hair. :p

However, it is entertaining to see men obsessing over getting their hair perfect.
  10. JudeMorrigan

Absolutely no arguments there! Just sayin' that we do have some hoops to jump through. :)
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I can probably do ten guy's hair in the time it takes me to do one girl's hair.
    Ailuene likes this.
  12. JudeMorrigan

Which is why I've agreed twice that guys have it relatively easy. All I was saying is that most guys require more than "some hairspray" to get their hair into comp shape. It wasn't a suggestion that it's comparable to what the ladies have do. Honest.
  13. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

That's so true though. DP's hair is so much harder for me to do than my own, if only because his is so stubbornly curly at the ends. Not anywhere else mind you, just at the ends where we actually try to get it to lay flat. :p It's really the only thing I've met so far that my Got2B Freeze Spray hasn't immediately glued down.
  14. Sania

Sania Active Member

It suits him though! Kind of like a cool vintage look, if you know what I mean...
    Ailuene likes this.
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I agree! I have a friend who has some really thick hair that likes to fluff up. I have yet to figure out what will tame it properly. I'm thinking mousse might be the answer, but haven't tried it yet. It just takes too much gel to use that and it's so gross to work with.
    Ailuene likes this.
  16. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

This is true. But my life is just made substantially easier by him cutting it. :p
  17. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Flat iron it into submission.
    Ailuene likes this.
  18. Ailuene

Ailuene Active Member

Haaaahahahaha I'm pretty sure he's not going to let me anywhere near his head with something hot. :D
    dbk likes this.
  19. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

Hair spray never worked that well for me, but mousse was great!
  20. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Pshhhh, wimp! :)
    Ailuene likes this.