men's make up

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Dec 21, 2013.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

I know there are make up for men. What is the concept of putting make up on. Is it like stage make up? What do you use if any and why?
    DrDance likes this.
  2. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Active Member

It's true. I'm not making this up.
    DrDance likes this.
  3. ballroomdancertoo

hahahahaha
    DrDance likes this.
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Usually the guys here just tan/bronzer/foundation. I haven't seen any with eye makeup yet.
    DrDance likes this.
  5. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Saw a guy with eye make up at last comp and he pulled it off very well. But that is likely the exception rather than the rule.
  6. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Active Member

I thought that you WIPED it off, not "pulled" it off. Sounds painful.
    DrDance likes this.
  7. DrDance

DrDance New Member

Hello All! Looks like there's another Doctor Dance in town! Silly usernames!
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

rut...roh....we may have to look at changing that to avoid confusion...which would likely involve the new guy.....will get back to you on that
    DrDance likes this.
  9. DrDance

DrDance New Member

Whatever it takes SWEET CHEEKS. You're the BOSS!
  10. fascination

actually, I am not the boss...just a worker bee...but I do have a share of the vote :)...as to the sweet cheeks...well...thanks?
    ajiboyet and DrDance like this.
  11. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

Well this got awkward fast
    Dr Dance, ajiboyet, Lioness and 2 others like this.
  12. fascination

so....let's just stick to the topic
    DrDance and Dr Dance like this.
  13. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

I have chronic allergies that give me dark circles under my eyes, so I use some concealer that matched my fake tanned skin pretty well. My coach wore a crapload of something on his face for a recent showcase, but I'm not sure I could tell you whether it was bronzer or foundation. It looked kind of garish up close, but looked really good from far away.
  14. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

I use Lella Milano's foundation from their "Fabulous Cosmetic" range. It works a treat: gives a nice matte look, shimmers a little, stays on well with perspiration and doesn't stain clothing (washes/dusts off). Don't need much at all either, I just use it to accentuate my genetic tan. :p
  15. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Active Member

Sounds good to me!! Although I have never used make up, I do believe that there is a place for it. Competitors who wish to improve their appearance to the judges may want to consider using make up for men to give them an edge. Make up can also be used to hide bruises or unsightly blemishes that may distract the judge's view from the performance.
    DrDance likes this.
  16. ballroomdancertoo

stupid question but where do you go to get knowledge of putting on basic makeup for men. i have shiny forehead and i perspire a lot. any suggestions? Dont want to go to a department store for this kind of thing.
    DrDance likes this.
  17. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Sometimes, guys just really want to look pretty, okay? (I know I do. Only all the time.)

But honestly, guys would probably wear makeup to enhance features. The ballroom aesthetic doesn't call for going as hog wild with makeup as girls are expected to, but makeup can help in certain areas. Tanner is a kind of makeup that helps avoid getting washed out by harsh lights. Eyeliner can draw attention to your focus and gaze.

The best place to go would probably be Youtube tutorials. Makeup is makeup -- even a video aimed at girls on how to apply foundation or powder could probably help with that.
    DrDance likes this.
  18. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Do take care, if you use tanner/bronzer on your face, to darken the lips with tinted balm or something. Otherwise you have a tan face and pale lips. Weeeeird.... :eek:
    DrDance likes this.
  19. DrDoug

DrDoug Active Member

I went to a MAC store and was fortunate enough to find a more mature assistant. I explained what I needed, she picked out some products and showed me how to apply them. Painless.

(Probably some kind of powder for the shiny forehead, btw.)
  20. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

The most I would suggest for the average guy - and I would very much suggest it - is foundation and bronzer. If you're blonde, do your eyebrows (draw them in, not pluck them out). I can see some very light eyeliner being appropriate, if you can pull it off... but get a 2nd and 3rd and 4th opinion first. You're going for Capt. Kirk's good side, not his bad side.