Men's Standard Apparel in Chicago

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Might Wake Up, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Might Wake Up

Might Wake Up New Member

Hi,

I'm moving up to pre-champ starting this year and definitely need a more formal outfit if I'm going to compete. A tux is on my mind, but right now it's not worth it to me to get one.

So I'm looking for just pants, shirt, bow tie, vest I'm thinking. I figure I can probably use the pants for practice once I get a tux and can probably donate my shirt and vest to the college team. Like most of you I'm sure, I'm thin as a rail and anything I buy at the store will definitely not be suitable for dancing.

Any thoughts on where I can go shopping in the chicago area for this stuff?

(As an aside, for tuxedos, the only advise I've received is using Onik and mailing measurements in...)

Thanks for the help!!

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Onik, Ron Gunn, Aleks Sinista, Lenique...
    these are some of the big names when it comes to mail ordering mens dancewear. I am sure you will have a lot of input when it comes to this.

As for buying off the rack in a clothing shop, I think that becomes harder and harder as your tastes become more attuned to tailormade dancewear.

3. Cal

Cal Active Member

Hi, Might Wake Up,
    I've got two initial leads for you:

1) Designs By Grace at 808 W. Van Buren, Chicago. Tel: 312-831-1600. website link through www.studioulala.com
    She primarily does women's costumes, but I know that she has made men's latin trousers and latin shirts. It sounds as though you want something for smooth/standard - I don't know if she's done any of that on the men's side. But, if not, she might know someone who does.

2) Show-off, Inc. 48 Congress Circle West, Roselle, IL 60172-3911. Tel: 630-894-0100. website www.showoffinc.com.
    Again, they primarily make women's costumes for ballroom. I've had Ena make several dresses for me, and loved them. I see that their website has a tiny reference to men's latin wear. Heck, they make singlets for wrestlers - maybe they'd be willing to take a shot at men's smooth/standard.

Good luck.

4. Kitty

Kitty New Member

If you will be dancing pre-champ standard, you need to get a tailsuit to look right on the floor. Sooner or later, better sooner.

Cheaper options would be:
    some cheaper brands can custom make one for about 1000USD
    or you could buy it used for way under 1000. And if you buy it from a person of similar height and built and then tailor it to your body, it might look very good on the floor.

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

There's also Russian something (Name slips my mind). They're on second floor of building on SE corner of Wacker and Michigan. If you look in windows, you can see a bunch of women's costumes in the window, think ddress is 343 or something. They should be ableto help you.

6. Cal

Cal Active Member

Might Wake Up,
    I just thought of one more:

Dance Styles Chicago - tel 847-530-0920 www.dancestyleschicago.com. I don't think they have a store, but I see them as vendors at local competitions. Their website indicates that have some men's standard/smooth items, that could get you going for starters.

7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to DF Might Wake Up!

8. contracheck

contracheck New Member

This vender sells identical products as Aida, which come from China. I know since I've purchased a few shirts.

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Note: tux != tails

10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

To the non dancer when referring to our costumes, yes.
    But most dance tailors refer to American Style jackets as Tuxes, as opposed to International Tails.

11. Might Wake Up

Might Wake Up New Member

Well, I think I've been moderately convinced that I should be going for my first set of tails rather than some mish-mash of other stuff.

Anyone on the forum selling theirs? :D I found a few classified ads on ballroomdancers dot com and some other one, but no luck with responses there so far...

I like this idea of a used suit given the savings and the fact that most I've seen listed are used very infrequently.

12. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Good thinking!
    If you are doing standard (and not smooth), i think this is the best way to go.... you will be set for a long time and will instantly look a lot better, a lot more professional on the floor.
    post here your height and size and measurements - maybe someone has a tailsuit for sale.

My partner will soon be selling his.

13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, obviously. If there aren't any tails on the coat you can't call a suit a tailsuit. :)

It's not clear which style the OP dances, and calling tails a tux is a common habit among dancers new to wearing either for competition.

14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

To be really accurate, tuxedo isn't proper name for eeither. :) Tailsuit or dinner jacket would be correct. :D

15. Might Wake Up

Might Wake Up New Member

Well, I dance strictly Standard ... so, I guess from now on I'll try to use the more accurate "tails" when I'm talking about what to wear on the floor.

@Kitty ... I'm 5'11", 155lbs. 38" chest, 31" waist. So I'll cross my fingers :D

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You are scrawny! :)

17. reb

reb Active Member

:shock:

and its worse . . . apparently I'm moving an extra 55 lbs of good living around the floor