Men's tail suit

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by ballroomdancertoo, Jun 5, 2006.

1. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

Anybody got any advise/comments regarding men's tail suits from England and/or Italy? Has anyone or know of anyone whose gotten suits from either of these countries and their experiences. I'm wondering how they're tailors are and what are their differences. Thanks in advance.

2. saludas

saludas New Member

Why Europe? ONIK Designs is in Los Angeles - and he is amazing...

3. DancerForLife

DancerForLife Member

My husband swears by Aleksandr Taylors in Los Angeles. He had suits made by other professional taylors, and says that Aleksandr's is the best in terms of quality, fit and durability.

4. Laura

Laura New Member

One of my old teachers -- and possibly my new one, not sure -- swears by Aleksandr's. I wanted my last partner to get his tailsuit from them, but he had a bug about getting one from Arthur Ashmore. The Ashmore tailsuit worked out fine for him, though.

5. Porfirio Landeros

Porfirio Landeros New Member

I was not happy with the Onik I owned, and also how kurt they were on the phone during the design process (maybe it was a cultural thing).

Aleksandr is definitely the place I'd go next for a full tailsuit (I wear vestsuits now-a-days).

6. 123N

123N New Member

I've got both Onik and Author Ashmore. I can't dance in Onik as it does not have rooms for movement. It was getting very tight as you increase back movement.

Author Ashmore is much better tailored. It gives a lot of room for movement and it just feels better.

7. ballroomdancertoo

I bought my tails from Ron Gunn years ago and being naive I never knew what or how it was suppose to fit. Paid a thousand for it. I had a tailor here measure me and the measurements were sent to England. does anyone know the fad for the length of the tail? Is it longer now or still the same? I asked Christopher Hawkins what he wore and he's always used Ron Gunn. I guess it's an english thing. But I thought that since the Italians are so strong in the ballroom sport that there tails were more refined better tailored now than before.

8. fluffy

fluffy New Member

I guess it's a sponsorship thing!! The main tailors in England are Brackleys, Ron Gunn and Arthur Ashmore, all have their devotees. DSI also do tail suits, the only people I know who wear them are sponsored.

A couple of friends have got Centini suits from Italy, and are veryhappy with them, they used to be considerably cheaper than the English tailors but they are catching up. Their dresses are approaching Chrisanne prices now.

As long as they get your measurements right, all the above should be able to give you nice tails :)

9. Dan C

Dan C New Member

Mine is from Brackleys and I have been very happy with it. Got it through Deirdre of London (she's actually in Florida) and it cost me about $1700.

I know the question specified tail suits, but just for additional info, many of my colleagues have purchased dinner jackets from LeNique. Nick himself is always impeccably dressed and has a great sense of style and his designs reflect that.

10. ballroomdancertoo

Thanks for all the info guys. I guess the most important thing like you said is the measurements. I saw on TV in japan they have a tailor that will check the mans fit as he is dancing with his partner. I think it was like couple thousand though. I guess you get what you pay for :(