Modern mambo songs

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by greek dancer1983, Nov 3, 2012.

1. greek dancer1983

greek dancer1983 New Member

Searching for a modern mambo song to dance.

I would prefer the song not to be too quite and classical (need something modern) but also not to be too quick because I am dancing only 1 year now (1 hour per week).

Please suggest some! Thank you in advance!

2. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi greek dancer, welcome to DF !! Mambo is a historic form of salsa. So you better should move this thread into the salsa subforum.

Only one piece actually crosses my mind:

But speaking frankly it´s closer to swing and pop, than to mambo, despite the name and Prado´s classical tamplate.

3. asdepique

asdepique Member

All the places where I dance, they never use the original mambo music, the tempo is too fast. Many jive musics are suitable for modern/slower mambo.
    Tu Vuò Fa' L'americano by Gigi Mambo
    If You Wanna Be Happy by Dr. Victor
    Ilarie by Buttoms
    Jack is back by The Clan
    Mambo Tequila by Azucar Moreno
    Mariana Mambo by Chayanne
    Pincha by Barrio Latino
    La Traviesa by Missiego
    Hafanana by Eli Goulart

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Not remotely true.

There are literally thousands of slower songs. It depends upon the style of music one chooses . IF its Guaguanco, then yes, it tends to be up tempo. However, there are numerous Montunos that are mid range, and slow .Even some Charangas will work .

Bailamosdance likes this.
  5. tangotime

Theres a re mix of La Bamba that might work. I have it in my library.. will check out lable and speed and get back to you .By the way, why are you looking for this type of music ?

6. greek dancer1983

Hi greek dancer, welcome to DF !! Mambo is a historic form of salsa. So you better should move this thread into the salsa subforum.

Only one piece actually crosses my mind:

But speaking frankly it´s closer to swing and pop, than to mambo, despite the name.

Thank you for your answer!

7. greek dancer1983

Thank you opendoor, asdepique and tangotime for your answers. They are really helpful. I am looking for this type of music because in our dance classroom we want to make a dance event and we are searching for Mambo songs to dance but not the classical and ordinary songs. We will choose one song so as to dance it only as Mambo and one song so as to dance it as Mambo and Samba combination.

If you have more suggestions especially for Mambo-Samba combination, I am looking forward to hearing them!

8. tangotime

Ive got some in my library,as i said, but it will take me a short time to listen to some , and give you some suggestions .

9. opendoor

Hi greek dancer, perhaps I understood you wrong? Do you mean the dance style or the music style of mambo and samba respectively? Either of them does exist. So there would be a lot of combinations. It was yet possible to combine a music style with a not related dance style, though it wasn´t that sophisticated?

10. tangotime

The suggestion of mambo #5 is a good one but.. by Danza Latina. And also, by " modern" do you mean pop songs ?

There are a lot of sambas, but again.. pop style ?

11. greek dancer1983

Dear Opendoor,
    I was not so clear, I am interested in songs which can be danced with some steps on mambo and some steps on samba, so the dance style is what interests me.

Dear tangotime,
    Yes, pop songs which can be danced as mambo and samba would be the best solution. Mambo #5 is very known and not very interesting by a crowd to see it because it is too familiar.
    For example the song of Azerbaijan on Eurovision of 2009 (3rd winner) can be danced at the first half as mambo and then make it samba.
    Such type of music would be good, and I think that the speed of the music of Azerbaijan's song is good or a bit slower would be better for dancing it by beginners.
    Thank you in advance for your answers!

12. asdepique

asdepique Member

These 2 songs can be danced in mambo and samba
    Mambo Italiano by Club des Bélugas
    El Zancudo by La Sospechosa

13. tangotime

I guess you and I have different standards on what constitutes " Mambo ".

I know its for a routine/ show, but why do you think that, people will NOT get excited ,by the more indigenous rhythms ?. I think you should listen to some of the new contempory Salsa for e.g. that would get most peoples interest. Just a suggestion .

14. opendoor

Sorry greek dancer, I have to pass! That is by no means my approach or my philosophy. For me it should completely be the other way round: the music has to inspire us. Azerbaijan has got nothing to do with mambo or samba, at all. Neither there is any suitable rhythm change around half in it. All the best and please give a little report later on, on what finally came out.

:) cheers

15. opendoor

@ greek dancer: There also is a hint of Zouk and Raï in it (to meet the common listening habits, anyway). And because Zouk and Samba belong together by their origin, I would recommend to pick a zouk piece in your position.

16. greek dancer1983

Dear asdepique,
    thank you for your 2 suggestions, I will think of them.

Dear tangotime,
    people are dancing indigenous rhythms during lessons and during the latin parties so this is the reason we want to make something little different. We do like it and of course classic music of latin is many levels better than the music I am talking about (e.g. Azerbaijan 2009 eurovision song). There is no questioning about the quality and timelessness of indigenous rhythms.

When you say contempory Salsa, what do you mean? Can you name some of these songs? But, I really would like to know if there are some pop songs that can be danced as Mambo and Samba. (for example something of Jennifer Lopez, Ricky Martin etc.)

17. greek dancer1983

Thank you opendoor for the zouk suggestion.

18. opendoor

You must not ask: Salsa is 2/4, Mambo 4/4 So decide for your own and you will find out, that you can take almost every song you like (2/4 or 4/4 assumed). But as said above, I find this approach rather unschooled.

19. tangotime

Sorry ...I dont listen to "pop" music in the sense that you mean. However, I do listen to Pop music( as in popular ) in the spanish language ( and, occasionally in english ), which just happens to have all the correct instrumentation .

A question.. are the people in the show, beginners ? salsa dancers? or.. non dancers learning ?.

Heres some contempory salsa..

Eddie Montalvo.. Amor En Serio.. just released..salsa med tempo

Faith Rivera.. Azuquita.... Samba..

Faith Rivera... Buscame un Doctor.. in english.. salsa

20. greek dancer1983

Tangotime,

you insulted me with your comment about non-dancers. Personally talking I am making some efforts to have a general idea about latin dance. Surely, Latin dance and music is a philisophy which someone needs years and devote time to learn.

Thank you for your suggestions of contempory salsa. In youtube I do find the "Amor En Serio". Although I didn't find the other two songs of Faith Rivera.

OK, I admit that as concerning POP we have a different view. Do you know any POP songs that you listen, which can be danced as Mambo or as Samba or as Salsa?