Modern mambo songs

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by greek dancer1983, Nov 3, 2012.

1. greek dancer1983

greek dancer1983 New Member

Opendoor,
    thank you for your time.
    opendoor likes this.
  2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

I think you mis-understood my expression " non " dancer, as I thought .. for some reason (?), I had it in my head that this was for a group routine:oops:.. so, no offence meant .

And, I do not listen to any kind of "pop" music .

The songs you cannot find are on the CD " When Worlds Collide ".. LA Carpool..
  3. SpiritBoy

SpiritBoy New Member

How about "I Love Salsa" by N'Klabe - it is modern and recognizable.
  4. greek dancer1983

I listened to the song you suggested SpiritBoy and it is very good, I like it a lot! Thank you for your suggestion. This song is Salsa dancing and it's name shows it. I don't know to dance salsa at all, only Mambo, European tango, Rumba, Samba, some more european and some traditional Greek dances. The song I am looking for should be danced as Mambo. Probably my group (I am not a teacher, I am a member of the group) will dance mambo with the song "Mambo tequila".
  5. Easy

Easy Active Member

Can't think of one offhand, but there are plenty of songs you can mix samba, salsa, cha cha, rumba, mambo, etc. no matter what anybody says. It's about musicality, not competition rules or what's written in encyclopedias about this or that dance and what makes it authentic or not.

It's not modern, but a song that comes to mind that I like to mambo to is Cherry Cherry by Neil Diamond. Most others would swing to it, but I feel a playful mambo. I don't feel samba in it, but its a fun song.

If I hear any good mambo/samba songs, I'll be back ;)

Oops. Didn't mean the quote, but I also wanted to say I don't think Tango meant any offense. He was just trying to understand what your situation was. Non-dancers do exist lol
  6. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi greek dancer, only one little question in between: What is mambo dancing for you, anyway? I could not help you and you perhaps did not understand me, because we have different opinions on what mambo actually is. For me salsa is mambo and vice versa. (Ok, there are little subtle differences, but as a long-time dancer I can condone and fuse them, although I think I am able to keep those sub-styles apart, well.)

So finally I am really interested in what are you actually dancing and labeling mambo.

all the best then
    od
  7. greek dancer1983

Dear Easy,
    thank you for your proposal! Cherry Cherry is a good song and playfull, I like it! I will suggest this song to my group. As I understand my group wants a song with more groove (if it is the right word), more furious song, something which will be not delicate, something with much fuss. I personally like to dance the more harmonic songs, but it is what the team chooses. I think the Cherry Cherry is what I like most. I will wait for your suggestions no matter if they have fuss or they are more harmonic, because I like the style of your suggestions!
    As concerning dangotime, he explained that there was no offense at his post and thus I understood what he meant. You know it is the differences in our languages that makes that, although we speak English we sometimes misunderstand English either because we cannot understand it well or either because we make a direct translation to our language.

Dear Opendoor,
    I found a video in youtube. Something like the video is what I dance as Mambo. As concerning Salsa I don't know it at all and so it is hazardous to express any opinion about Salsa at all.
    ww.youtube.com/ watch?v=aeu30QZUV68

As concerning the above link I mentioned, please consider 3xw at the start and please delete the space between "/" and "watch". I made that because I have not the right yet to post a link.
  8. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Thank you greek dancer, now I can imagine, what you meant. Sarolta and Tamas call it ballroom mambo, I would call it ballroomized mambo classico with a pinch of salsa puertorriqueña in it (only concerning the step timing). The hold is stiff and the leading clumpy, but actually it is a defused sort of salsa. Salsa is an umbrella term, no specific style. You should dance this style to any sort of modern salsa music. Traditional mambo music would not fit that well.

success so far
    od

@ tangotime: is the shown style also the style you teach?