More Support for Men Learning How to Dance

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Pass It On, May 6, 2003.

1. danceguy

danceguy New Member

TJ - I didn't mean that switching partners was soul-less...it was the energy that the particular folks gave off. It could be dancing with one partner or 10 partners...I've seen partner switching that was very very beautiful. :)

Keep in mind this is only my opinion...and perhaps I tried to get my point across a bit too much. I didn't mean to offend you if that's the case.

SG
  2. PunkDancer

PunkDancer New Member

This is true. At my studio I pay half price then the girls.
  3. tj

tj New Member

No problem, SG. It's why I wanted you to clarify your statement.
  4. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Interestingly, a local ballroom that teaches Salsa offers discounts for new female students and for couples (so as to not upset the lead/follow balance), while we stags (unaccompanied males) must pay full price even from the start. This speaks to me of there having been way more guys than girls when the policy was put into place.

Most of the students there are Latino (I'm one of the few hueros (ie, fair-complexion type) there) -- he even teaches the classes bilingually -- , so maybe it's a still a cultural thing in that social dancing is much more a part of Latino culture and there's much less of a stigma on guys dancing. It almost seems ironic, considering how important machismo is in Latino culture.

---------------------
    Mexican by marriage.
    It's harder for my wife; she's Irish by marriage.
  5. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I don't know why, but for the last few months, most of my classes have been almost all men with only one or two women! This is more a case with intermediate and up classes...the intro and beginning classes tend to be a little more balanced as couples tend to come together.
  6. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Wow! Just noticed at the time of this post that the number of views to posts views on this topic is approx 36 to 1! I suppose do to the nature of this topic this shouldn't be surprising.
  7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

And which studio is that? That's the studio I want to go too!!!
  8. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I have seen it suggested in discussion that while women progress much faster than men do in the beginning, the men then surpass the women and many women start to drop out when they find that they actually have to work hard to progress. Whether that's a factor in what you observe, I couldn't say.

Or would it be because the men need to continue in class to learn the new moves while the women are out in the venues just following those new moves?
  9. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

It's more a matter or what the follow thinks than people watching, isn't it? Getting spinned 20 times and then passed off to someone else for more spinning is certainly not my idea of fun, but as long as the girl enjoys that sort of thing and the guys are doing it because they know she likes it, not just because they think it's fun, that's fine. Again, the love-making analogy fits here I suppose.
  10. tj

tj New Member

Yup - believe me when I tell you that we're not only paying attention to the other two guys, but the follow, too. In fact, the primary focus is on her, not the two guys. We won't do this with just anyone either.

There are some follows out there that absolutely kick knat - they'll handle anything you can think of, and while you're panting, trying to catch your breath because the song is so darn fast and long... meanwhile, she's like "Ho hum, is that all you've got? (in a playful manner of course)", so you need to pass her off to your buddy while you take a breather.
  11. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .......been there, done that (perhaps minus the multi-spinning :oops: )!

I love being passed around amongst friends......
  12. tj

tj New Member

It's also something that gets done for both "Birthday Dances" and "Farewell Dances".

Hey SC, on a related note: When I had my "Farewell Dance" in Seattle a few weeks ago, Gustavo put on a killer song - it was great except it was soooo long! He even joined me and we were dancing shines together. You would've enjoyed it.
  13. salsachinita

salsachinita New Member

:D I wish I was there! He's the man 8) !
  14. tanzsegler

tanzsegler New Member

What an article, wow,.! One sided that it is.

What about the converse side? Women who can dance

are also better in bed.

Everything in the article seemed to be the same when describing women as well. Except of course the beer and football.
  15. Sagitta

I don't like beer or football, but I know plenty ladies who do. :?
  16. cocodrilo

cocodrilo New Member

Like ME!!! :D
  17. danceguy

danceguy New Member

:doh:

Honestly, I think there needs to be more support for women dancing...at least in my area. There are enough leads to sink a battleship! :headwall:
  18. Sagitta

Right!!

It's not that we want more men SG, or anyway, not me. I simply want support for me.
  19. amrimi

amrimi New Member

Where do you live? Sounds like a fun place to move to.
  20. dancin_feet

dancin_feet New Member

I don't know about the correlation of men who dance and their bedroom skills. Then again, I've only ever gone out with non-dancers! :wink: