More Support for Men Learning How to Dance

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Pass It On, May 6, 2003.

1. squirrel

squirrel New Member

I have dated dancers... and the only thing I can say iro their "bedroom performances" is that they make love the same way they dance... not in the sense of skills but in the sense of way of treating a woman, of enjoying themselves... those with a strong lead are the same in bed... the playful ones are interesting :wink: :lol: ... the boring leads - ouch!

2. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

on the wall of one of the engineering buildings at my alma mater, some one (presumably a male) once wrote:

"engineers do it with precision"

someone (presumably female) subsequently added:

"the last thing you need is precision"

3. Addicted2Salsa

Addicted2Salsa New Member

I am very curious about this.

In Melbourne I think that we have more girls than guys.

I find it interesting that in some places there are more guys than girls. As a guy I know that it is harder for guys to follow their desire to learn dancing (especially partner dancing) because of peer pressure or fear to be ridiculed. In that sense I admire girls for their courage to go and learn things that they like, e.g. dancing! :)

But from what danceguy said and a friend of mine, it seems that some places have more guys than girls.

Would anyone know what are the factors that could lead to a situation where there's more guys than girls?

Is it the competitive side of salsa being so strong in that region that guys get into it more than girls? Or is it because the guys in these regions are more opened to dancing? (No disrespect to the girls, I'm only saying this to help you guys understand my question)

Thnx for replying :p

4. hopelessly_addicted

hopelessly_addicted New Member

where in melbourne is there more leads than followers??? Also, if you could gimme the venue names, I may be able to provide reasons for melbourne-specifically.

5. hopelessly_addicted

That's an interesting concept that there's that peer pressure that you say guys feel. I'm gonna ask around leads that I know if they feel it as well! :p I know that girls don't particularly feel that pressure at all - ie my courage to start dancing salsa may have something to do initially with trying out an unknown territory, but has nothing to do with the peer pressure...

6. Addicted2Salsa

I was referring to danceguy's post, and and was wondering why and where there are more guys than girls in salsa :)

Obivously, in Melbourne as in most parts of the world (from what i've been told), there are more girls than guys.

7. Addicted2Salsa

Yep, it is.
    I find it a bit strange but it is a fact that many guys find it a bit hard to dance because of peer pressure.....

8. hopelessly_addicted

just recently, i asked 2 guy friends whether their friends/workmates know that they dance. 1 said that they do, the other said that he'd tell if anyone would ask. Neither thought that they'd be teased if others know about it.. I guess it's kinda different for different people..

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I agree that traditional gender-role expectations have loosened up a lot. I think there's still pressure for men to distance themselves from dancing, but perhaps not as strong as it used to be. Not sure. :?

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Very true. I'm a dancer and proud to be one. :wink: :)

11. tacad

tacad New Member

Most people think it's cool that I dance. If I tell them I'm going swing dancing
    or to one of tsb's salsa parties they think it's really cool. 8)

12. sanityhaven

sanityhaven New Member

I think that most guys believe other guys will tease them about dancing. When in reality, I think that most guys secretly want to dance and think its cool when some other guy tries it.

13. pygmalion

Hey. If only guys (in general) had any idea what women (in general) think about men who dance ... they'd all sign up for lessons immediately. :lol: :lol:

14. Throwaway Overshare

Throwaway Overshare New Member

But when they do sign up for lessons, they soon learn that it's mostly the women who can't dance who hold this view strongly enough to be influenced by it.

15. pygmalion

Beg to differ with you, brother. :roll: :wink: :lol: You're right, IMO. There isn't a one-to-one relationship between a man's dance abilities and other relationship-related abilities.

But still, men who dance have a few dance-related aptitudes that appeal to me. Healthier/better-maintained bodies, in the aggregate. Ability and willingness to dance with me (something a lot of non-dancing women also value). Enough humility to try something new (dancing) even if he feels silly doing it. (This translates into other relationship areas as well, IMO.) Willingness to be led or back-led by a woman when the situation demands it. (Priceless! IMO)

Oh yeah. 8) A guy with experience in partner dance can be a very good thing. :wink: :lol:

Just my opinion. :lol:

16. Throwaway Overshare

Throwaway Overshare New Member

Would you like to go dancing?

17. sanityhaven

sanityhaven New Member

So what pray tell is would that be? Enquiring minds want to know. :wink:

18. pygmalion

*giggle* Uhh... What is this thread about, anyway? :roll: :lol:

19. sanityhaven

sanityhaven New Member

since when did that matter? :lol:

20. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: Definitely. there's nothing quite like dancing with a man who knows how ... to dance. :lol: :lol: