Most useful/least useful club dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 9, 2004.

1. Sakura

Sakura New Member

:D This is interesting; we seem to have opinions all over the board! It seems that most people seem to be favoring Salsa and varying kinds of Swing! Cool. 8)

Kudos to Spitfire for going with my opinion on Cha Cha! =^___^=

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  2. Pacion

Pacion New Member

The least useful dance :roll: can I say grinding :shock: :lol:

I know it is very popular amongst teenages today, but "back in my day" when I called it "rent-a-tile" :lol: it would literally be painful! One or both of my hips would start to stiffen up due to the minute minuscule movement, to the music of the time, which was sloooow (think Air Supply :lol: if you remember them, or Lionel Richie's Three Times a Lady :lol: ) Oh, and because I didn't care for all those clinches, I would suddenly go to the Ladies to avoid those songs :lol:
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: You crack me up!

If I had to pick one dance and dance step from my arsenal, it would probably be a box step in rumba. You can dance a whole slow song using that one step, and, to make it even sweeter, you can adapt the box step to other dances or add turns and arm styling to that dance. Plus, you can fake a rumba (American style!) basic box to almost any slow song out there. It'll take ten minutes, and enable you to dance to any slow song, which is pretty significant.

I doubt we'll come up with a consensus. I just think it's interesting to hear everyone's perspectives and reasons.

Also, this thread is going into the club dancing index, so new people don't have to keep asking. :roll: :wink: :lol:
  4. Pacion

Pacion New Member

If my imagery is working properly, a box step has more movement than the "rent-a-tile" :oops: :lol:

"Rent-a-tile" = two feet planted approximately 1.5-2 feet widths apart and you and your partner are just "swaying in the breeze" :roll: :roll: and the hands (usually his!) are roaming all over your back ... which, is great if you like the guy, but not so great if you don't like the guy :oops: :lol:
  5. pygmalion

Yes, it does. Another reason why it's useful. It's not too intrusive, so you can dance that step with your SO or with a perfect stranger, and still feel comfortable. 8)
  6. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i recall your expressing that sentiment previously.

and vehemently. :)

which is the reason why i took a couple of classes in hustle recently. i wouldn't want to dance it all night, but it beats sitting down all night.

and now that i'm back in edit mode, yes, a basic box step would work. you can also throw in underarm turns and non LOD type moves. you could also be doing waltz to the relatively small segment of popular songs written in 3/4. and while potentially leading to a grind, slow pivot turns would be useful too.
  7. jdavidb

jdavidb New Member

I love Hustle. I mean, I really really love it. I wish it was in the top 10 of most popular things people learn. Hustle can be done to heavy metal, disco, pop, all kinds of rockish stuff. And I love the hell outta funk. Hustle is great for funk.

Hustle also doesn't have to be minimalist. There is an advanced realm to Hustle too.

Least Useful: polka
  8. pygmalion

I've developed the theory that I need to learn hustle with someone who can actually do it. :shock: :lol: Hustle might turn into one of my favorite dances. ECS did -- after 2 years of pathological hatred. But that was when I found a good teacher who could actually dance swing (thanks MD). Maybe, if I can find a good hustle teacher, I could learn to enjoy it.
  9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

About a month ago on rec.arts.dance, a woman made derogatory comments about men's inability to dance, to which one man gave a very thoughtful analysis of the subject, ending with the statement that God gave us the Hustle in order to get even with those women who have such attitude problems (only not worded as nicely).

I started learning Hustle and Country Two-Step and Nightclub Two-Step and returning to West Coast Swing because those are the three principal dances at the local venue that was most available to me. I love ECS/Lindy, but my access had been very limited at that time, though the situation has changed since then.

So, the best dance to learn depends first and foremost on what venues are available to you.

If we were to assume that venues for all dances are available, I would vote for WCS, even though I love ECS/Lindy more -- now after starting Friday night off with H, C2S, N2S, and WCS, I invariably finish it off with Lindy (and now branching out more into Balboa). But I find that the selection of music that we can dance Lindy and Balboa to is more restricted than the selection for WCS.

Though my ulterior motive for learning some Hustle was to learn some moves that could be applied to Salsa when I return it in another year or two (when my schedule frees up on the nights it's taught).
  10. pygmalion

I honestly don't think I have attitude problems. I dance anything and everything with anybody, including newbies and very experienced dancers. I even dance hustle. I just don't enjoy it most of the time, because people who don't know how to manage their own weight try to pull my arms out of the sockets when they rock step. Oddly enough, I don't enjoy that. :tongue: :lol:
  11. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

I've known for a long time that you don't have attitude problems. But that guy's comment about Hustle being a way to get even evoked an immediate and very rare LOL from me, because with all those turns "we" do (actually, that the women do) we've noticed the women often complaining about getting dizzy. It's almost as good as Country Two-Step in that regard.

I'll examine that issue of the rock step in the next class (in a couple of weeks). In the meantime, could it be that you are over-extending your arm and that keeping the arm bent more would allow it to absorb the shock instead of your shoulder? Just a thought.
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I love giving my opinion, and commenting, so...there are many versions of polka. There is brazillian polka, forro, then there is lousiana polka, called zydeco. If you know how to polka you can do a variety of dances at different tenpo. Then there is scottische, very similar...

I love the idea of just teaching some basics with stepping to the music. So, box step, a couple arm turns, sweetheart...
  13. Sakura

Sakura New Member

Really?! :shock: I can't imagine why you wouldn't enjoy that! :D :roll: *grins* Hopefully you can find a teacher to remedy that soon!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:
  14. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i saw the thread but lost interest before this response. i should go try to find it.

in the 'real' oc (whatever that means)? how about atomic ballroom? or avant garde, or danscenedance or ballroomisback? or are we speaking about years ago?
  15. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

you just haven't danced with a good hustle dancer yet. i've seen a lot of hustle dancers tap in place of the rock step so it's possible to dance hustle w/o getting 'yanked' on '1'.
  16. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I had a teacher once show me a little trick to short circuit that type of arm pulling in hustle. Basically, when I take a rock step I step almost in place, without putting any weight into the step, then I immediately start to push little forward. The movement happens very fast. I'm still maintaining tension to follow the lead. One thing to watch for, is that type of movement can speed up the dance, dramatically.
  17. pygmalion

To be perfectly honest, yes, I think much of my hustle experience has been with bad hustle dancers. *shrug* I don't feel I'm missing much by skipping the hustles. I can always freestyle through them. I love freestyling, and I'm very good at it. So hustle? Eh. If I find someone good to dance with, fine. If not, I'm okay with that, too. :)
  18. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

I stick with Salsa, but if I didn't live in San Antonio or another city that was primarily latin in culture I might have to change that.
  19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Hustle is one of my favorite dances. Maybe it's because disco was popular when I was growing up. Maybe it's fast and fun. And maybe it's because I remember seeing students from my former sister-in-law's studio dance hustle at her & my brother's wedding reception. They were really good, and a couple of them got on Dance Fever.

I still enjoying doing the "Y-M-C-A" to the Village People (if that song would have been placed in competiton, my teacher & I would have done it). Or striking a John Travolta pose. Or doing that dance move Uma Thurman did during Pulp Fiction. Now I'm feeling silly. :lol:

Ok, time to crank up my Disco Fever cd on my computer. 8)
  20. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

According to my mentor in all things Hustle that tap step is really the proper way to do the hustle, it just tends to be hard for beginners to learn. My other mentor in all things WCS tells that really a Tap in WCS as well but once again beginners usually learn as a full rock for simplicity's sake.