Most useful/least useful club dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 9, 2004.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

It looks like there are a bunch of variations, dragon3085. There's a hustle info page somewhere in another thread, where two different authors give two different views on the proper way to do it -- one thinks rock or coaster step is okay; one says a rock step is never okay, only coaster. Neither author mentions a tap step. (I like the tap step or a point to the side and hold, whenever possible. It gives me a "pose" moment. :oops: :lol: When not possible, I use a coaster step. )

And I have a bunch of hustle videos -- Billy Fajardo and Katie Marlowe are the newest ones. They're all over the map with variations. And I have some older videos by Roberto Pagan. The only thing that stays the same is that everything changes constantly. I think it's just a matter of picking what feels comfortable for you, then doing it in a way that you don't injure your partner LOL. (Same goes for the arm wraps in hustle, btw. Just don't hurt anybody! :lol: :lol: )

2. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

I guess it's with Hustle as with swing in general, there's more than one right way.

Personally I like to put some variations into it.

3. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Yes, most of the "replies" were really dumb and the quality deteriorated rapidly from there. But the very last one -- I'm pretty sure -- went into an analysis of the different advantages and disadvantages that men and women generally have as beginners and then as they progress (the skinny: women tend to have the advantage as rank beginners, but then it evens out after a few months with men more likely to stick it out in the long run). But that last line about the Hustle did get me to literally laugh out loud, which is a great rarity.

The real Orange County as opposed to the fake one on Fox. It's not all beaches and rich kids in Newport Beach. How much of my home town of Santa Ana (sometimes AKA "Tijuana del Norte") and the old colonias (now barrios embedded in cities) have they shown? Probably none, since, as I understand, they don't even film in Orange County. If you don't know at least a little Spanish, you won't be able to read most of the signs in some parts of the county. And I won't even start to get into Little Saigon. The real OC is a lot more diverse than the electronic one.

The time I was talking about was the beginning of this year. Atomic Ballroom is one of the things that has changed since then; that's where I finish my Friday nights with Lindy. I don't know of any Lindy open dancing at Avant Garde, but that's where I've been going for lessons every Sunday for over a year. Tia Juana's on Wednesday has always been difficult for me to make, but then they expanded it to Monday nights as well; only I had just started a college class that night (finals next week, so here I come).

Does danscenedance do Lindy? Hustle and WCS, I know, and Salsa too. Don't know about ballroomisback; I'll have to check it out. SunDance in Placentia is where I'm doing the non-Lindy dancing at present.

ADDENDUM:
    ballroomisback is way out of the way, being in Huntington Beach. And they don't say what kind of swing they offer. Though the overall mix of offerings does look good.

4. Hank

Hank Member

I pick west coast swing. It can be danced to a wide variety of music styles and tempos, and it allows an infinite number of footwork variations, syncopations, and improvisations to keep it interesting.

Years ago, I would have picked east coast swing. Like west coast swing, it can be danced to a variety of music, so opportunities to use it are widely available. But, it does not provide the variation that west coast swing does, so because I danced it so much for so many years, I eventually got bored with it.

Salsa is a fun dance, and I'll do it for an hour, but I find the music monotonous. The music has so many accents on so many beats that every beat sounds virtually the same. There is also little variation from song to song. I quickly tire of listening to it.

5. johnnywalker

johnnywalker New Member

The two dances I would think to be the most versatile are Cha Cha and Swing; at least that's what I seem to 'hear' when watching or listening to many of the songs on MTV, radio stations etc. I think Hip Hop would also be in there somewhere. I really like Salsa but unless I specifically visit a Salsa club the chances of the music being played is not as great.

The dance I have yet to see performed at clubs is the Polka. I've asked around but no-one seems to be able to demonstrate it for me. :D

6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Two least useful dances, even worse then samba, are paso doble and bolero. Beautiful dances, don't get me wrong there, but these are dances that you are least likely to see, even in social ballroom settings.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. That's interesting, Sagitta. Maybe it depends on where you're dancing or who the DJ is. Here, especially in clubs, quite a few slow love songs get played each night. The dancers either do NC2S or bolero. The non-dancers do the grope and sway. :lol: I guess it just depends. *shrug*

8. Sakura

Sakura New Member

I *really* wanna take some Hustle lessons now! :D :lol: Everyone makes it sound so interesting!

Sakura Kitty :kitty:

9. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

too bad you don't live up my way; lindygroove is a five minute drive from my house on thursdays - although i have to admit lindygroove doesn't appeal to everybody.

what about disneyland on saturdays?

wow. i don't think there is much of anything else near you.

i think they have wcs every 2nd saturday.

yeah i think they have wcs every 3rd saturday. probably not lindy. haven't been down there yet - o prefer primarily ballroom venues, plus, wcs dancers tend to eat their young compared to other types of swing dancers...

they're pretty much ballroom only, actually. great floor.

10. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

paso doble much less frequent than bolero at the places i frequent. i've seen paso doble exactly once - at a venue that was pretty much entirely international style dancers.

11. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

Roger that! :wink:

To the westies of the world; you have given me a new indoctrination. 8)

12. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it seems to be mostly WCS here, which I'm doing through Sundance to round out my experience. Though then it's off for Lindy afterwards on both WCS nights to round out the evening.

Disneyland does have some good bands. My in-laws have been going there for many years. One bummer is that you have to get the highest-priced annual pass, because all the other passes have almost every Saturday as black-out days.

Another thing I've been advised -- and my in-laws have confirmed this -- is that it's mainly couples there, so a "single" dancer like me would pretty much be SOL (short on luck). I'll have to see how things develop.

I've run across LindyGroove on the Web, but being an aging working stiff I have to be more careful about weeknights. What is it about LindyGroove that does and doesn't appeal to people?

To question is the answer.

No, really. We can't start learning until we start asking the questions.

13. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

it's a pretty friendly crowd, great floor, i like that they let you & ten guests in free for your birthday (five must be newcomers to LG though) and include a birthday cake, dancers of all skill levels. the lindy they lean towards is more wcs-ish than they want to admit & the tunes are often tunes that i find myself wishing i could do a foxtrot to instead (ironically, at some ballroom venues i find myself wishing i could find someone to do lindy when they play certain foxtrot tunes). but since i actually prefer wcs to lindy it works for me. the hardcore faster tempo lindy dancers aren't so crazy about it though.

14. bren

bren New Member

i like swing

15. leftfeetnyc

leftfeetnyc New Member

West Coast Swing, all the way!

And the sprinkler, lawnmower, and shopping cart of course!!!

16. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Most useful:
    <BS>
    Samba, because once you show it off once, everybody around you is hooked and wants to learn it
    </BS>

I'll say Hustle, if only because it's a bit more adaptable than Swing. I don't know West Coast Swing, so no opinion there.

Least useful:
    Paso Doble. Useless in a social context.

17. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

The music is what dictates the dance! :!:
    So, I'd say swing is the most versatile to more of "popular music," from many eras, up to the present. And yes, you get to choose among West Coast Swing and East Coast Swing, triple single or double time, Lindy, Lindy Hop and whatever other variations of swing I may be omitting.
    However, Purr, is Hustle really Swing? What do y'all say?

18. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

WCS, hands down. Can be danced to anything with a passable 4/4 beat, from elevator music to hip hop. Does not require lots of room (I once danced it on a 2'X2' box at a club 8) ). Allows for lots of play from both the leader and even the *gasp* follower! Fun stuff.

Hustle would probably come into a close second. Pygmalion--what you're describing is not hustle, it's just painful. I know exactly what you mean. I know a lot of people, even otherwise pretty good dancers, who dance hustle that way. Needless to say, I avoid them like the plague for hustle, sometimes even telling them that hustle is the one dance I will not dance with them, and why. Mean, I know, but gets the point across and keeps my joints safe. :twisted: When done well, hustle is very very very smooth. And a lot slower than a lot of people think, i.e. Darude's Sandstorm is NOT a good hustle song unless you slow it down a lot.

Two step gets third place.

Least useful: Paso. Who ever plays that at a social??
    I disagree that bolero is useless in social settings, I think it's great for the clutch'n'sway songs. Provided, of course, that you have a bolero-dancing partner handy. :roll:

19. Stiletto One

Stiletto One New Member

Well, if they know Nightclub Two-Step, it's not terribly hard to retrain them for Bolero...right? Bueller?

20. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Um...depends on what your definition of bolero is. The rise and fall combined with the hip movement is not what I'd throw at someone in a social setting, yet it's what makes bolero what it is, IMHO.