Most useful/least useful club dances

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, May 9, 2004.

1. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

2. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

did you have fun there tonight? you would have met 'the babe' (the moniker ascribed by dancepoet in a different thread) then if TACAD was doing introductions. i like jerry jordan. you'd never guess that he wrote the lindy syllabus for AMDS. plus he shares my penchant for unusual music choices for songs. i wish he'd stayed in LA county.
  3. Caldakid

Caldakid New Member

how do you do the southside heel toe?

does anybody know what I am talking about.
  4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Hmm... in my area, there's quite a few people who can do at least a bolero basic respectably well. At the larger city socials, it's seldom a problem to find a bolero partner. Is this unusual?
  5. Beginning Hip Hop classes will help you get rhythm and coordination
  6. Beginning hip hop classes will help you gain rhythm and coordination.
  7. Schatz

Schatz New Member

I vote SALSA !
  8. etp777

etp777 Active Member

For most or least? :)
  9. Schatz

Schatz New Member

Easiest to move to - favorite of the ladies!

Strictly subjective, of course.....

OTOH, you can find a merengue in darn near anything - gotta love that 2 count.
  10. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Yeah, merengue is very popular here on base exactly for that reason. Girl over on helpdesk was complaining that she couldn't find anyone to learn salsa with.
  11. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

As you leap to her rescue.
  12. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Possibly tonight. :) Went by last week, but didn't see her. Also, didn't find salsa night (least, hope not, was all bachata/cumbia/merengue). Need to walk around the building a bit more tonight to see if there's more dancing somewhere else in there, and see if I can find her.
  13. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

You give me reason for hope if I should be mobilized. Question: is the Navy Customs Battalion there or are they at another base? That seems to be the most likely way I'd get called up.
  14. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Not a lot of Navy here, considering we're X (not sure how far) inland and in the desert. :) Some navy staff here though. Believe most navy besides the few here are stationed at Kuwait naval Base (Marines too, one of roommates at CRC was former marine who had been stationed there). Another likely posting for navy here in this theater is in Djibouti over on eastern eedge of Africa. Station is operated by different branches in rotation, currently run by the Navy, and I think they're talking about new Africom being out that way. We had a guy from our shop go out there for a month and is heading back this way now. But here and at Ali (Air Force/Army base farther north) there was definitely dancing, so don't despair.
  15. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Looks like no salsa tonight, and didn't see her over at the latin dancing, so I won't be able to rescue her again tonight. ;)
  16. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

This is an interesting thread. I would separate social and club dancing, but I sorta have the same question as the OP, with a twist. :) The question is which dance would you start a complete beginner off with? I don't by any means think I'm qualified to teach but I have a friend who doesn't have the funds to take lessons or an opening to fit dance into her class schedule so she's asked me to teach her and I'm gonna try my best. Correct me if I'm wrong, but East Coast Swing seems like the best jumping off point...and Swing is what I am most familiar with, having taken a class in it quite a few times. I think I have a good grasp on the basics at least, and I'm guessing that's all she's looking for at this point. But East Coast before West Coast?

After Swing if she wants to continue I think I'd next go to Latin and then finally Ballroom. This way the personal space is being gradually decreased her personal space, as I know a lot of girls are bothered by this when they first start)...but I've only had one class each for those so I wouldn't feel at all competent teaching either of 'em. Any tips or whatever? I've borrowed one of my friends notebooks so I can learn the girls footwork at least.
  17. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Single-time east coast swing/jitterbug.
  18. LCbaseball22

LCbaseball22 Member

Ugh, I hate single time swing...triple time is so much easier to keep on rhythm to. Plus, single time is for old people who can no longer move fast enough for triple time. As my instructor likes to call it- "geriatric swing", lol.

BTW, I've noticed they don't do WCS on DWTS, is that cause it's too hard to teach quickly or what? It's not as easy as girl just mirrors the guy...
  19. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

Single time swing is a great dance for beginners. They usually find the turns interesting, it's highly adaptable to different types of music, works in crowded spaces, suits different tempos, and isn't terribly difficult. I don't consider it the best choice for clubs (tie between WCS and hustle) but it's certainly the best option for complete beginners.

As for WCS on DWTS, they tried it one season and the results, predictably, weren't great. While WCS can look fantastic, it's not one of the most difficult dances to choreograph to appeal to non-dancers. Some couples can do it (Jordan and Tatiana come to the forefront of my mind) but most choreography to most people looks like, "She's moving one way, she's moving the other way, she's turning."
  20. bia

bia Active Member

And WCS is a dance that most of the DWTS pros have had less experience with. Better to keep the show focused on the ballroom styles, if you're just hiring ballroom pros.