Moving the Head Like Egyptian or Indian Dance

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by ericacsy, May 14, 2005.

1. ericacsy

ericacsy New Member

hi everyone..

i'm sorry that my first post is a question :oops:

anyway.. i was trying to audit for this musical and it has some part of indian dance in it.. and then in the audtition requirements it says that we MUST be able to move the head sideways (you know, like in indian dance/ eygptian stuffs) ..

however i can't work out how to do it yet.. anyone has any ideas?

xoox

2. Kuriin

Kuriin New Member

Re: URGENT QUESTION :'( please help!!

Just practice isolating the head. Move the head forward and backward, then left to right. It shouldn't be all too difficult.

3. randomMysh

randomMysh New Member

Stretching the neck muscles prior to isolation exercises should help.

4. ericacsy

ericacsy New Member

i can do forward and backward

so keep practising will do? is there any special excercise that i can do?

5. Kuriin

Kuriin New Member

Neck rolls should help, also.

6. ericacsy

ericacsy New Member

:shock: actually i can do some already.. but somehow it's just not clearcut enough >_<

7. dancersdreamland

dancersdreamland New Member

WELCOME to the Dance Forums!

You're first post as a question is completely appropriate...in all honesty I think that's how most of us started in the Forums and its a great way to meet other members.

To add to others' advice, following are some stretches and isolations:

Stretches
    Forward and Back - Start by looking straight ahead. Now bend your neck forward and place your chin to your chest. (You should feel the stretch in the back of your neck.) Hold for a few seconds and return to looking straight ahead. Now bend your neck straight back and look at the celiing. (You should feel the stretch in the front on your neck...throat area.) Hold for a few seconds and return to looking straight ahead. Repeat several times.

Side Tilts - Start by looking straight ahead. Tilt your head to the right bringing your right ear to your right shoulder. (You should feel the stretch on the left side of your neck.) Hold for a few seconds and return to looking straight ahead. Tilt your head to the left brining your left ear to your left shoulder. (You should feel the stretch on the right side of your neck.) Hold for a few seconds and return to looking straight ahead. Repeat several times. NOTE: To enhance the stretch, when your ear is to your shoulder, use the same hand to LIGHTLY press your head down further.

Side Glances - Start by looking straight ahead. Turn your head to the right side and look over your right shoulder. Hold for a few seconds and return to looking straight ahead. Turn your head to the left side and look over your left shoulder. Hold for a few seconds and return to looking straight ahead. Repeat several times. NOTE: To ehnace the stretch, when you're looking over your shoulder, use the same hand to LIGHLY press your head further to the side.

Isolations
    Front to Back - Start by looking straight ahead. For reference, place your hands in front of your face. Now gently push your head forward using your neck muslces (not your hands). Be sure to keep your shoulders still and do not tilt your head up or down. Hold for a second and then pull your head back to start position by using your neck muscles. Repeat.

Side to Side - Start by looking straight ahead. For reference, place your thumbs into "thumbs up" position and hold them even with the corners of your mouth. Move your hands approximately two inches in front of your face and another two inches to each side of your mouth. Now gentley slide your head from left to right with the attempt to touch your thumbs. (Do not actually touch your thumbs.) Be sure to keep your shoulders still and do not tilt your head up or down.

I hope this helps!

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Thats a lot. Thanke ddl!

9. Ms_Sunlight

Ms_Sunlight New Member

Here's how I was told to do it:

Stand in front of a mirror. Put your hands palms together, fingers upwards, just above your head, so your arms form a vertical diamond with your head in the middle.

Now, try and keep your head level and touch your elbows with your ears.

It makes sense when you try and do it, honest!

Seriously, it's not hard. As ever, practice makes perfect.

10. naz

naz New Member

If you want to move your head sideways like egyptian, i'd imagine the best way to practice would be to TRY AND DO IT.....10000's of times. Do it slowly until you get the isolation right and then you will be able to speed it up when you get better.