MP-3 Players

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by mamboqueen, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Bob

Bob New Member

well, we may have to do the paces in the same direction :D :p
  2. tj

tj New Member

Umm... maybe 4,000 songs or so?

(and medleys? Yuck!) :wink:
  3. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

Speaking about MP3 player, could someone here give me a lecture about how it actually works?? When people say MP3 player, in my head I'm always picturing a pretty big size box (kind of like a stereo system), until one day a friend of mine started going everywhere with this tiny thing clipped on her belt, and when I asked what that was she said "oh, MP3 player" I felt like I lived in the 18th century :? . I seriously thought MP3 player would be much bigger than that?? Can you choose what kind of music you want to play? Dance music?? :oops: (please don't laugh!)
  4. tj

tj New Member

Yup - think of it as a next generation Walkman. Just no tapes/cassettes - you download music onto it. Some can play radio, too, but the majority use music from your CD collection that you ripped to your hard drive or that you downloaded to your computer from a website or something.
  5. Bob

Bob New Member

Mp3 is mearly a file compression. It is a sibling of the MPEG compression that is used for so many video clips on the net.

Songs, when compressed in mp3 format, take a few hundred K, rather than megs (for instance if the song is in a .wav format).

The reason everything is an mp3 now, is because it is currently the smallest file size, with the highest quality.

Any sound can be an mp3, including any song.

The mp3 players are nothing more than tiny computer processors. These computers have one fuction, to play an mp3 sound.

I don't like the mp3 players with huge capacity, because they tend to have hard disk drives (HDD), and I can't go running with them because they lock up. (HDD's don't like to be bounced)

So I like the $39, 30 song mp3 player. Then I listen to the same X number of songs for my whole run. It isn't much of a problem for me, since I can switch the songs easily.

Please read the required chapters, and remember that there will be a quiz on friday. :shock:
  6. Pacion

Pacion New Member

rotfl!!! :lol:
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

LOL! Reminds me of my CD changer. Having a changer was the hottest new technology when I bought mine. I was SO excited. And, from then to now, the only times I've used the changer have been when I had dinner parties. Other than that, it's been one CD at a time. I coulda saved myself three hundred bucks and gone for the base model. :lol: :lol:

I'm thinking about the iPod, though. I'll probably wait six months and see if the price comes down a bit (after they recoup the R&D costs a little more ... I hope.)
  8. Bob

Bob New Member

sorry, but the ipod has been around for a while. The price is fixed I believe :?

I did hear about a way to boost the power of the FW transmitter (so that you can play the mp3's through the car sterio... pretty cool). Once you boost the power, you can transmit to other cars.

I want to make a silent mp3 so that when somebody is "bumpin" next to me at a traffic light, I can block that station with silence. As a public service, you know... cause thats the kind of guy that I am.
  9. pygmalion

Bummer. It's like Playstation or Nintendo. They only drop the price when the technology is about to be replaced. :( Otherwise, buy it anywhere, because the price is the same. :x I wonder if the FTC notices these things. :roll:
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Fixed it for ya.
  11. pygmalion

:lol: :lol: I could use one of those, when it's available. Thanks.
  12. Patapouf

Patapouf New Member

woooo! Thanks for the education!! :oops: Now it sounds like something I should have!!! :D
  13. Pat

Pat New Member

I don't quite agree - it all depends on what you want to use it for.
    I have a Rio Fuse which is puny by today's standards: 128MB (~2 CDs worth of music). But that's all I need for dance practise or the gym. Plus it's small, light, and uses standard AAA batteries.
  14. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

revisiting this...

Motardmom - Did you get yours???

I'm still quite on the line here because about 1/2 say ipod and the other 1/2 say something else.

Are they all pretty easy to dance/exercise with??
  15. new-ish

new-ish New Member

I have a Frontier Labs NEX II that I have had for a couple of years.

It costs about $120 without the memory card. The thing I like about it is that it uses Compact Flash cards and is powered by AA batteries. In terms of size, it is slightly thicker than an IPOD, but shorter.

A 1 GB CF card costs about $80 and I have about 20 CD's on mine (at 128kbps) The AA batteries are nice because you can change them easily. The CF card acts like a hard drive when you plug it into your computer and you just copy-paste your MP3 files to it.
  16. motardmom

motardmom New Member

I have mine and I quite enjoy it. I was just listening to The Hobbit a couple hours ago in the doctor's office waiting room. After I got done there, I went to the store and bought the rest of the Lord of the Rings series and the first 4 vols. of Harry Potter to upload to my computer, convert to MP3, and upload to my Zen Micro. It was hard to get used to the feel of the touch pad, but I've adjusted to it now and it's no problem. I'm not entirely happy with the operating system, but I really haven't played with it as much as I could have, I'm sure I just haven't totally figured it out. And besides, I'm being a man about it and I haven't read the instruction manual yet. :wink: :lol: I also think that I wouldn't be entirely happy with the OS unless it totally read my mind and automatically played the music I wanted to hear w/o me having to tell it what to play. :roll: I am very impressed with the sound quality (this is my first experience with *any* MP3 player). It came with its own MP3 software for my computer, but I find it is easier to just upload from Windows Media Player. I really like the size, it's tiny. It's the size of a credit card, and around an inch thick. It fits in my pocket ok, but I wish it had a loop on top that I could somehow hang it around my neck. I don't jog with it so I don't know if jarring it would cause it to skip, and I haven't danced with it yet. (For shame, I know.)

Any specific questions? Not sure I can answer them, but I'll try.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

18. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

No one is making this easy for me!! Ack!

When I'm confronted with too many choices, I freeze and can't make one! Unless, of course, I'm in front of the dessert tray.

I do need something that I can affix to myself so I can run/exercise/dance.

So, here are my requirements:

Excellent sound quality
    Ease of use
    Don't need more than 100 songs, but a nice "filing" system would help
    Would prefer something that isn't going to double its price in batteries
    Portability for exercise/dance
    Under $200 would be nice.

Okay. Everyone, one last time please....just a recommendation, you don't need to go over everything you already typed before.

Thanks. Sorry to be such a pain. I promise I won't make any posts when I go to replace my car!
  19. pygmalion

LOL! You're hilarious! :lol: Good luck deciding. 8)
  20. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Don't worry about the batteries is what I say., Just get rechargeable batteries and a battery recharger. I am slowly switching to all rchargeable batteries at home. It just makes more sense. :)