Music suggestions for exercising?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Peaches, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Anyone who's been around here a while knows me well enough to know that I loathe exercising. Which means that anyone who's been around here a while knows me well enough to know that the chickens have come home to roost, as it were. For those who are comparatively new: I LOATHE exercising. And I'm now fat. So there you have it.

Have taken up exercising. Am bored out of my [expletive deleted] skull. However, I've found that it's marginally better if I know a particular video where I can just turn the sound off and play my own music with my iPod. (Use #253 for a bra: iPod holder!) However, I've only got a limited number of songs that seem to work well for exercising. (See: loathing, exercising--avoidance thereof.)

Suggestions?

I rediscovered "Sunchyme" by Dario G. This was a song used in spinning class I took years ago, and actually liked; it makes me really wish I was was out biking, or even running. (Gasp you should!)

What do you all like?
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that lying on the couch while eating bonbons is a no? Just kidding. What kind of exercise are you doing? Walking? Running? Yoga? Stretching? Depends on the type/pace of exercise for me. :cool:
  3. Peaches

Heh...that's what got me to this point in the first place!

Erm...I just kind of throw on whatever video I kind of feel like dealing with that day. P90 and 30 Day Shred, mostly. (Yes, I know they're supposed to be used as a program, but I get to freakin' bored. I figure any movement is better than none. Let's not burst my bubble on this just yet.) If you listen to the video that I posted, I gets going around 2min in, and that's a pretty good pace for me.

I also like "Painkiller" by Freestylers.

4. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I download Armin Van Buuren's A State of Trance podcasts. I'm with you on how dull exercising is, and I need uptempo and loud to keep me going.

Also, after an exercise session, I spend a bit of time watching a DVIDA DVD and practicing a step or two, which is a treat compared to the exercise.
  5. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Gabrielle Roth's Waves music..
    or Mad Professor: Kunta Kinte or Your Rights,my Rights
    or Jun Miyake's soundtrack from Pina eg the Here and After
    Balanescu Quartet: Model or The Robots...
    bajo Fondo: 'Pa bailar' Julietta Vinegar version (sp that's not quite right)
    Chloe Goodchild; There is some Kiss, or Gayatri Mantra

if my kid is around we dance to the Rough Guide to World Music for Children
  6. not a direct answer, but several of the exercise rooms i have used have dvd players in the stairsteppers, elliptical machines, etc. i burn dvds of tv shows (project runway, dance moms, biggest loser... you know thec genre) and exercise while i watch the shows. if i want to cheat, i ff through the commercials ;)
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Judas Priest?
  8. Peaches

Can't. Need the DVD player.
  9. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Florence and the Machine - Dog Days and Shake It Out are particularly obvious examples, but you can't go too wrong with her.
  10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I usually tap my WCS tracks, especially the pop and R&b songs...
  11. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

if you like Painkiller you might like this ;)

12. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Techno! Daft Punk, Fat Boy Slim, Moby
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Iron Maiden!
  14. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Diablo Swing Orchestra is pretty cool.
  15. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I agree that uptempo is key. I remember back when I belonged to this one gym, I walked in one time and they were playing Christmas music. I am here to report that "Silver Bells" is not a good song to run to.

I like 80s/90s hip-hop, R+B, and pop, stuff like
    -Salt n' Pepa "Push It," "Shake Your Thang"
    -Young MC, "Bust a Move"
    -C+C Music Factory, "Everybody Dance Now"
    -Naughty By Nature, "OPP"
    -The Time, "Jungle Love"
    -Michael Jackson, "Smooth Criminal."

My new fancy treadmill allows me to play YouTube videos while I jog, which can be a nice distraction. I believe I have now watched all of "Epic Rap Battles of History." They were funny and helped motivate me to stay on longer so I could watch more. I imagine you could do the same thing with an I-Pad or other tablet.
    chachachacat likes this.