My partner is famous :) Sunday NY Times Metro Section

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by Katarzyna, Jun 26, 2005.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

How is your partnership going now?
    Are you guys getting your routines down pretty good?

2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

It's moving right along.. We were pretty comfortable with the material we had, but just recently extended all of the routines. Previously we were dancing once around the floor in almost all the dances and had to repeat. The new material will see the floor during NJ Classic shortly. I hope it will be comfortable by Nationals :)

Overall, I think its a great partnership. Things are definitely improving. Hoping to come to Altanta one of those days for a comp. Could be really nice.

3. Katarzyna

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Woohoo! Scared of you, girl! (Slang for I'm really impressed. :wink: ) And he said nice stuff about you two. Opposite sides of the same coin. Nice. :D

5. Katarzyna

:) It was nice
    :lol:

6. alemana

alemana New Member

link produced a 404

then i had to register to see the page

mind putting some of the copy here? or pm me with it?

7. Katarzyna

Amateurs, professionals hit dance floor here this weekend

By JOHN KESSLER
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Published on: 10/13/05
    Amateurs seeking glory on the floor of a ballroom dance competition can follow two paths. They can team up and pit their moves against other amateur couples. Or they can partner with professional dance instructors who know all the right steps.

Both kinds of competition will be represented this weekend in Atlanta at simultaneous dance competitions. The Southeastern Regional Amateur DanceSport Championships take place Friday and Saturday at the Georgia World Congress Center. More than 200 dancers from 30 states and Great Britain will go cha-cha for cha- cha in this amateur contest, a qualifying match toward the USA Dance nationals.

Meanwhile, the Hotlanta Dance Challenge is taking place in a ballroom at the Westin Peachtree Plaza through Saturday. More than 500 dancers from throughout the country will pair up in mostly pro-am teams — in most situations, instructors with their students. It also will feature a small number of all-amateur and all-professional teams.

As viewers of the ABC television reality show "Dancing With the Stars" have learned, a good dance instructor can make any willing amateur look pretty swift on the floor.

Instructor Andrew Zemlyanko of Unique Dancing, which operates from a Miami Circle studio, travels "on a monthly basis" with his students around the country to lead them in both Latin dances, such as the rhumba and cha-cha, and standard dances, such as the waltz and fox trot. Students pay his travel expenses.

This month he doesn't have to go far. Zemlyanko will compete with 17-year-old Atlantan Julia Schiff at the Hotlanta Dance Challenge, while his partner, Olga Kormanovskaya, will have Julia's 16-year-old brother, Daniel, put his Latin dance moves on her.

How did two high school kids get into competitive pro-am dancing?

Their mother, Patty, laughs. "It all started at Sea Island during our summer vacation. There was a teacher [at the Cloister], and my husband I stopped in for lessons." The kids became interested, and the teacher encouraged them to continue their lessons in Atlanta. Now they travel to pro-am competitions and keep their mother busy as they continue growing into larger and larger costumes.

At the Georgia World Congress Center, New Yorkers Alex Spencer, 28, and Katarzyna Herink, 23, compete as an amateur couple. It is a homecoming for Spencer, who grew up in Powder Springs. He works as an artist's model and bartender to make ends meet, but his life is ballroom. He and Herink thought it might be easier to qualify for the next level here rather than in New York, where competition is tougher.

The two met on dancepartner.com, which links would-be amateur teams. They began working together five months ago and train five or six days a week.

"We fit together. We have the same ideas in our heads," he said. "We are two flip-sides of a coin — perfectly matched."

As they spin around the floor, they might bump into Julia and Daniel Schiff, who will rush over from Hotlanta to dance together as an amateur couple.

Imagine that: actually paying to dance with your sister.

Staff writer Tucker McQueen contributed to this article.

8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

The link's still working fine for me, btw, Kat. 8)

9. Katarzyna

It worked for me too..

10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

seems so.

11. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Yowza! ;) :D

12. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Did you succeed in selling the dress :?:

13. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

:shock: Wow, eight days seems rather short. How did the two of you manage this :?:

14. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

If you both know what you are doing and don't feel that full heavily rehearsed routines are necessary for what you are entering, it's no big deal... many people have done it. I really recommend this as a good way to get a new partnership off to a positive start - it results in the feeling of knowing what your partner will do when it counts, and the usefull fiction that you have already experienced the worst that can happen.

15. Katarzyna

Not yet, but decided I will probably sell my new ones first. I started to appreciate the blue one again.. Watched a video and decided I really like the dress. Unless I get a good price, I don't think I want to sell it yet.

16. Katarzyna

Well, if you dance man's old routines, he already knows how to lead them.. If you forget a bit, you can just follow..

Plus it was a small insignificant event... decided to go ahead and just do it..