My Prom Date is a Ballerina

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by Unlucky@life, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Unlucky@life

Unlucky@life New Member

HELP!!!
    I am going to my senior prom with a wonderful girl who has been a dancer for almost her whole life. She has studied in studios across the United States and she has earned many scholarships for her dancing. I want to be able to impress her, but I do not have the time to go to a dance studio and learn how to dance as well as she can. What can I do?

2. elisedance

elisedance New Member

welcome to DF. I would say either be totally honest - 'I can't dance, but would love to learn' or, pretend you have broken your leg.

You are not going to fake it so don't even try. However, you could take this as one of the best opportunities of your life to learn to dance! If, that is, she has the patience....

3. Me

Me New Member

Welcome to the DF!

As a former ballerina, I can almost promise you she has absolutely no idea how to dance socially, at all. She may be in the same boat as you - No idea how to dance socially at all!

Why don't you ask her if she knows social dance? If she says no, maybe you two can take some lessons together before the prom? She would probably like that. :)

4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

What "Me" says is true. Solo and partner dancing are two different animals.

And welcome to df. :)

5. suburbaknght

suburbaknght Well-Known Member

If you asked her to prom and she said yes, chances are she knows you at least somewhat well in which case she probably knows you're not a dancer. We can also ascertain, from fact she said yes, that she wants to go with you anyway.

Ask her for help. She'll be flattered.

But most importantly, remember she wants to be with you. So show her a good time by being the man she said yes to. Have fun.

6. Indiana_Jay

Indiana_Jay Active Member

What you have to do is give up on the idea of impressing her with dance skills. Instead, impress her with the way you treat her, the way you smile at her, the way you listen to her and the way you care for her. Chances are very good that if she wanted to go to the prom with an impressive dancer, she wouldn't have accepted your invitation. That means you've got plenty of other stuff going for you that she likes.

By the way, when is your prom, anyway? Seems like we don't usually get prom questions here until March or April (and we always get plenty of prom questions every year).

7. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

Errr. excuse me, you have a ballerina for date at the prom, and what is your forum handle again? :rolleyes:

8. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

LOOOL, quix. Give him a couple of years to realise. :p

9. meow

meow New Member

He might change his 'name' after the Prom - something like Lucky@life?:)

10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Besides, if you're lucky, she won't be spending that much time on her feet that night. :raisebro:

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Joe: So you figure she will be doing a lot of jetee's eh?

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Uh, sure, that's exactly what I was thinking. :rolleyes:

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thought so.
    :nope:

14. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Being a ballerina and knowing how to social dance could be two different things. Have an upfront conversation with her, and ask her if she knows how to social dance like salsa, swing, rumba, and if she doesn't she if she'd be willing to take some lessons with you once a week for a few months prior to the prom. If she does, she if she will attend some lessons with you.

15. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

:cool: Exactly.

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

:doh:

17. Ria

Ria New Member

Just let her know you're willing to try. She doesn't expect you to be as good as her, but if you are sincere about dancing with her, she will love that.

18. I'm in very similar shoes to yours. I was introduced to dance by my boyfriend, who has been dancing for a good number of years now. Although I've been taking lessons for the last month and a half, I'm still very, very, *very* much a beginner. I understand what it's like to feel intimidated when your partner has more experience than you. I know I do sometimes when the guy I'm dancing with tries a move I haven't been introduced to yet!

But, what's most important (at least to me) about dance isn't being able to do impressive, flashy moves. It's about having fun, letting the music move your soul, and enjoying the connection you make with your partner.

Be yourself. That includes being honest with your date about not having a lot of dance experience. I'm willing to bet money that she isn't going to the prom with you because she expects you to be an expert dancer. She's going to the prom with you because she wants to spend that time with *you*.

So go and just have fun. As someone who was never asked to the prom, I command it! :)

19. BM

BM New Member

That makes two of us! Here, here!
    :cheers:

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Way to go WH. I think that is definitely the correct treatment! :cool:
    Oh, and hi, by the way, welcome to DF!