my roadtrip blog w/dh

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by 3wishes, Sep 28, 2012.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

So fixed tire before we even got out of driveway. Leave just before sunrise after double checking everything. We both note the traffic headed out of town yet we are happy to be part of that. Stop at stepdads and drop off medicine and hit the road. I grab my pillow and it does not take long to pretend to sleep but just having eyes closed and not moving or thinking about things seems to be the call for the morning. Watch the sunrise over Las Vegas and it is glorious. The drive through Mesquit and Cedar City is happily quiet with smooth music playing. The hills of Provo Utah are turning red and green getting ready for fall, very pretty and wham, back into traffic. We both note the building of a HOV lane and smile. Staying in Lehigh Utah tonight, on the road tomorrow to Jackson Wy. We check out a book given to me at open house called Roadhouse Food, rats, no diners, drive in or dives listed in driving range so dh and i head out to local Olive Garden, glass of wine, mussels, clams, shrimp later, back to hotel, dh urges me to work out with him, really? i am so enjoying the black tie cake sans the work out but maybe the jacuzzi has my name on it? 600 miles today.....and so it begins.

2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I have a fairly comprehensive knowledge of diners n dives on the highways of the US, so feel free to PM me if you run out of recommendations in your book. I may not be able to help, but I do remember some "don't miss" places

3. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

I couldn't get over the reference to Roadhouse Food and rats...

4. 3wishes

thanks ja and anyone else with suggestions. It must have been leaving the rat race behind that caught up with both of us, we slept in, at least 630 a.m. Utah time was sleeping in for us. i heard tiny voices squealing with delight on the other side of the door to our room. IT made me laugh as the parents tried to reign them in. The drive through 15 north to 30 to 34 to 89 was magnificent it was the town of Henry thatmade me stop. Well worn buildings out of wood that the test of time has all but cuased them to collapse to the ground. Hills of harvested hay, brown dirt and isolated ranches dot the scenery out of Ogden and throughout south Idaho. Spectacular colors of aspens ch
    changing into firey reds, golden light greens, brillant orange leaves somewhar covering up where fires have swept into the landscape that the highway divides. The pine trees stand tall above the aspens as if to say, "i am the big brother and you may be colorful but you will never be my height" The Snake River meanders through next to the highway and we spy several row boats, a few brave fisherman and some kayaks. Hmmmm a bit to frosty in that water for my taste, although i spent large portions fishing and hunting with my step-father here. The memories take over and flash quickly by, DH and i exchange stories, about his family farm roots in south dakota and my outdoors upbringing when i
    was young. We pull over to take pictues of the colors of the mountains, have lunch and discover a most weepin willow. Eventually making it to Jackson Hole WY and exploring the town square.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

making me miss my grandbaby...it's really not a bad trip :)

6. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Yayyy, go 3wishes and Mr. 3wishes!

Am totally envious...except for the part about Jackson Hole. You're about two months too early. ;)

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great day, 3w. :cool: Just curious. Are you staying at hotels or B&Bs? Do you have a pre-planned number of miles to travel per day or are you playing it by ear?

8. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ogden!!!

I miss going out to Ogden every year. The Timbermine, the Prairie Schooner, Rooster's, The Greenery Restaurant with their Mormon Muffins. The drive through the canyon to get up to the plateau, hiking, the dinosaur park...sigh.

And then there is The Peery Hotel in SLC.

I'm getting all nostalgic. Maybe I should take a trip out there, just for fun this time.

9. 3wishes

hey! i am still here! We had a few days of no internet access in Yellowstone so lets catch up now that we are in Cody Wy. Jackson Hole, amazing weather, brisk mornings fell in love with the town square, eatery on rooftops, antler archways, AND a shop called CoCoMores. OH MY!!!! it is owned and run by one of two chocolatiers in america and that biscotti with the hot chocolate was exceptional, directly across from the Wort Hotel. This would be an easy town for me to come back too, plus all the recreation and outdoor scenary, kudos to the Best Western the Lodge, a bit pricey but oh myyyy the shower the room the indoor pool and jacuzzi, work out room, way good. Then on to Yellowstone National Park, I so remember this and 20 years later it is just as marvelous' Lake Yellowstone is a true gem, as DH reminds me of all the great things about this national treasure during the drive to the Old Faithful Inn located close to Old FAithful geyser. ok, here is where itngets iffy, if a person is looking for modern, big roomy, loaded rooms, well, cough, look elsewhere. The Inn was built in the early 1900s and remains that way. We started laughing after coming from the Lodge where every whime was taken care of. so we went to front to complain about the child running all over the ceiling above us, really got toasted by a far too hot small room, decided to open the window top and limited bottom turn off thermostate and try to sleep, the touring, hiking, picture takingnwas worth it but surprise surprise we took an early morning walka watched a grizzley bear 40 yards from the car on the lake shore when two tourists asked if they could jump into my car if he starts runnung. uhhhh. saw bison, lots of great stuff, drove to cody this morning yet caught lotts of scenes

10. 3wishes

sorry i am using dear husbands tablet and i hate the keyboard.

11. 3wishes

ok, so now for more. We are staying at DHs preferred hotel chain of Best Western. There is really no mileage set as much as it is destination. We just changed our plan from rapid city to Wall Drug Store in So, Dakota tomorrow. With warnings from DH that it is going to be a rough ride, hmmm curvy turns and potential nasty weather. That said! We have had great weather so far, we have had entertaining values of Tourists who actually walked off trail at Yellowstone to see the Old Faithful Geyser up close, as dh and i were yelling at them to get back, really? you may not understand english but i am sure yiu understand fear right? We have experienced Yellowstone Visitor Centers closing and closed after we got there, leaving Mammoth Springs to the north open and only Old Faithful open. A true disadvantage for those traveling off-season yet a great advantage to not compete with those on summer holiday. The Snow Lodge at Old Faithful is a more moden hotel and the only venue to do laundry, interesting as many people lugged their duds across the parking lot along with us. We laughed along the way hoping thw howling we heard would stay in the forest, yikes. The herd of bison was hanging out between Mammoth Springs and the Roosevelt Lodge where we had to turn around because ghe road was closed.....for the season, arrghhhhh. DH starts apologizing for not checking further on reservations, roads,, closures and other things. hmmmmmm but I cheer dh up with the great photos, the unexplained geyers that erupt, the mule deer, the bison, the hey he is a great map person, hours to figure driving, tour guide, mileage calculator, price for hotels and gasoline and learning how to go with the flow with a very spontaneous wife riding along hahahaha.

12. j_alexandra

Are you planning to see the Corn Palace? As long as you're driving around South Dakota, you might as well take every opportunity for civilization you can. Towns are few and far between, and not all of them have much to offer, but the Corn Palace was just special. Not far off I-90, and worth the drivearound.

13. 3wishes

corn palace? he mentioned Pioneer Village in Neb. i think and we are headed to Detroit to see the Henry Ford Museum'''hints tips and tricks for best roads and such are greatly appreciated, especially by me i hate short cuts

14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are having a lot of fun.:)

15. j_alexandra

Pioneer Village is a Project, and I never bothered, even if I had oodles of time; it's far off the highway and a made-for-tourists event. The Corn Palace is an "as long as we're driving I-90, let's go look at the Corn Palace" event. No big deal, but kinda cool. Like the Kool-Aid museum.

I used to like stopping in small town museums, where they display the Underwear and Diaries of the Forebears, etc. My favorite was the one that had the town undertaker's office, complete; that one also had a stuffed two-headed calf in the basement, iirc. And there's one in Colorado that had an entire room full of framed examples of grass.

16. j_alexandra

my bad; kool aid museum is now a display in the Hastings museum, which is not on your roadway.

17. 3wishes

dh laughs but will defend the Pioneer Village until the end saying you do not know what your missing! The Corn Palace it is, almost to Wall now going through Spearfish and it is raining but driving is good. Stopping in Cody Wy led to exploring a wonderful museum of the man Buffalo Bill Cody. It is well thought out, greatly invested in and very good. I do not care for museums yet this one was exceptional. Modern and addressing everything from the ground of Yellowstone to the native americans to plants and art inclusive of everything about william cody. Simply great. The town is small enough and large enough, we walked the main street and ate at the original Irma Hotel/Saloon with the original cherry wood bar that bill cody had built for the hotel saloon in honor of his only surviving daughter Irma. Fascinating truenlife story, We hit the road early expecting snow, instead got showers fog and ice warnings on my console. We did not go north through Sheridan instead we went south through ten sleep. Lo and behold what the heck are those flashing signs? Road closed when flashing turn around and go back' so far, so good, please silent prayer do not flash. I am reminded of the song America the Beautiful Amber waves of grain as we go through the basin and see the various crops, the farmers, the ranches the streams.

18. j_alexandra

I heart the drive from Cody to Sheridan. Beautiful country. And yes, the Irma is v cool. Enjoy! But watch that weather!

19. 3wishes

the colors are brillant, the signfs of Welcome hunters and Thank you firefighters mix together in an array of gratefulness only threatened small towns truly appreciate. I snap a few pictures while some workers in a small town thank my dear husband for his military service through handshakes. The man who would not be told what to do when he was in the military is now graciously accepting the kudos of many in a spontaneous action of friendshipnafter viewing his hat. Smiles abound when he announces our roadtrip and the ladies give me a wink or two. Adios is said and we leave again. This magificent spacious land of Wyoming and into South Dakota on I90. I spy my first Wall Drug store sign and laugh. Something flys over our windshield and we have no idea what is it? we will find out later the wind ripped my bug defector clean off the front of the car. OH MYYYY. DH continuesntoncheck gas, mileage, hours' costs' roads it really does seem to be his thing. MEmories start invading as we both see the farmlands, knowing his grandparentshome that they built when they came from Norway is 200 miles north dh starts reciting his childhood as the youngest of four and how he always got pushed out of the haystacks by sibilings and cousins but his grandmother would take pity on him and give him first choice of the homemade donuts. Those memories, this drive, no matter how odd things may happen, seem to always bring us home again to "those" years. Wall drug store and then the corn palace wooo hoooo

20. 3wishes

Wall drug store is definately still there and it was very brisk with chilly cold wind. wowwee, We raced into the cafe for the free coffee and donut, thanks to DH ball cap as a veteran. AND the donut was way yummy, I haven't had one in almost a year. DH shared stories with other veterans while we sat and i got the evil eye stare from a senior store clerk as i browsed through the sandles. REALLY? I am the only one here...arrgghhhhh until she came over and plainly stated that the shoe i liked was sold out and walked away. Well, actually, stormed away would be more like it, DH smirkes at me as he notes that i am restaining myself from saying something to this elderly lady. RESTAIN. We literally ran across the street and had dinner then quickly back to hotel room to watvh the debates. WOW kudos to DH for getting into his work out clothes, headed back out into the cold air and over to the exercise room. NOOOOPE not me, i like travel without inviting a cold. DH comes back, sweaty, lovin the work out room, realizes he forgot his book and other items, heads back out to the cold air, comes back with stuff, forgets something else,,,OH MYYYY. lol. Reading and writing out ntes of thanks is the evening after the debate.'