my roadtrip blog w/dh

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by 3wishes, Sep 28, 2012.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

DH and I head out after sunrise to the Badlands National Park. Magnificent scenes, lovely cold windy weather, yep here comes the hats' gloves, jackets and brrrrrrr words of encouragement. We go off-road to Prairie Dog Town and have the most surprising things happen, no prairie dogs, its too cold, mountain rams with the tracking radio collars appear and inform us they do not like us there so we stay in car as they eat and ove down the path. IT WAS GREAT, as we were the only ones on this road. Bison heards made an appearance and what i thought was a young bison stuck on a cliffside path was a golden eagle. Talk about photo opportunities.. We are quite pleased , and with any luck the two bison that seemed interested in us gave us some good footage. DH loves the Badlands. I find them to be spooky at best. Then it happened, two gents provided morning entertainment value when thet got out of their car and decided to walk up to the two rams that were in the meadow, with their cameras ready one took the front one took the flank, and yepppp tolerance of hhing to see but i did love the vehicles and the toys as well as lunchboxes that i recognized from umans can only last so long ROFL. We stop at visitors center for a bit and hit the road for Pioneer Auto and I have to admit, it was quirky and the gent that owns it is fro Pasadena California. Elvis' motorcycle was really somet
  2. 3wishes

something. We both note the large hay stacks on the open farmlands, the dried up short corn stalks and the dried lake beds. As well the acres of sunflowers that never made it to harvest. It is omewhar reassurdring that there is still open land harvested or not, and lacking the congestion of a large city. DH decides the next time through, he will knock on the door of his South Dakota grandparental farmhouse, explain why he is there and ask to take pictures of the place. ahhhhnhhhhhhh, I say to him, it's the donut at Wall Drug Store that got ya isn't it::
    Onward to Mitchell and the Corn Palace.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I am so glad you decided to blog!
  4. 3wishes

thank you. corn palace tomorrow, we drove by on the way to dinner and discovered the only north america archaelogical dig covered by an enclosed building and open to the public. So the palace is amazing JA and we will see it in the morning. No laundry tonight¡¡¡¡¡ yes! but a rather dirty car, we were passed by a car with plates from Alaska and i took a pic of his rear plates in front of us, then we pulled into Pioneer Auto and there sits another road warrior with Hawaii plates, what an amazing thing,and yet so very normal. Hitting the road towards chicago/detroit trying to get 300 miles tomorrow on I90 and then some. Will make detroit on Saturday. Dirt, dust, minus bug deflector and one happy road warrior and one carefree wife. ciao y,all
  5. 3wishes

Well, whew, we're here in Aims Iowa. Across from Iowa University. Who knew this town/city was so big? I didn't. Then again coming across the small town America and the back roads, one tends to adjust.
    I'm delightfully tickled pink that I'm on a real keyboard, at a real desk, with a "real" monitor and hard drive in the business center of the Best Western at University Drive.
    We were informed that had this been a "football" weekend there would not have been one room available - YIKES - we forgot about football season.
    We are so excited to be off-season for travel that schools and their sports do actually take precedence with hotels. lol. sigh.
    Started this morning by heading out to the Corn Palace. Cute, artsy, historical, thanks JA. Took plenty of pictures.
    Continued to the Historic Native American Enclosed dig up the street. Now THAT had me totally enthralled. I love the digs, the finds, the history and the carbon dating that went back to A.D. 945. We were lucky enough to get a personal tour.
    Rolled out onto I-90 Eastbound - spoke about South Dakota a bit more with DH and WAIT, STOP THE CAR, TURN AROUND,,,did you see that? No? DH? STOP...go back.
    ON the side of a building, big as daylight, was P_________ Sheet Metal and ......
    I ran out of the car snapped several pics. I just know, know, know, this is his cousin. Come on,,,how many Norwegians stayed in So. Dakota with that last name. DH was pretty darn pleased with that one...he is going to call the sheet metal supplier..as the irony of what DH does and what this place does....are almost exactly alike.
    Lots of farmlands were passed today, we noticed rolling hills with red leaves, the colors of Autumn burning with orange, pinks, browns, and brilliant green leaves. A few prairie dogs made their escape in front of our wheels a few times,,,I have to admit they look like furry puppies with short short legs...lol. We pull over for a few breaks and switch the driving when we hit Minnesota. AHHHHHH the wind. Yes, WIND,,,chilly cold WIND.
    wonderful. )-: that make the sunny day...just a joke and the "stay in the car" routine sound very inviting. The speed limits of the last few Interstates is fast - no wonder we are making great time, this would never happen in Los Angeles. DH warns me, "you might go as fast as traffic but you'll be the one with the ticket because of the Calif. plates" Where's his sense of humor? We finish our day out pacing several big rigs on the I-35 south into and through Iowa as we are skirting a storm and trying to avoid Chicago in order to get to Detroit. There is a semi-truck on my back end and reminds me - not everyone is crazy just in Los Angeles. Ahhhh shades of traffic horror memories of the not so distant past (like last week past). Give me those back roads again and small towns...geeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. DH has decided that Iowa has the absolute best rest stops..he's amazed. Really? not the trees, the hills, the open road....the rest stops? WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL lol. We check into hotel, dash for the laundry room, order room delivery service and start planning out tomorrow. I really scratch my head on this, planning each day out...when really.....there is no schedule, no time limit, and it's just looking at a map isn't it? lol. IT's a guy thing,,,,like never asking for directions when they know and you know they are lost. HA! (I hope to find some other things to do besides the museum in Detroit - I think I'm getting museum-ed out). snicker wink wink.
    Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Trying to get to Detroit without dealing with Chicago? Good luck with that.

Glad you liked the Corn Palace.
  7. 3wishes

Headed out, watched young ladies coming in from their rodeo last night, and preparing this morning, how can one miss the spurs? the hay dragged across the carpet on the bottom of boots? the mud on the tire of suvs? ahhhh, shades of my cow pony chubby.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  8. 3wishes

Well, goodbye lovely Aimes Iowa. Hello, I-80. We stopped at the most marvelous place to stretch our legs. And of course, found a most welcomed chocolate anything shop. The 7 villages of Amana.
    Established as a German settlement for religious freedom in the 1700's. The buildings are still there, it's a wonderful walking town, with wine tastings (it was much too early for me to do any wine tasting but I was truly tempted), artists, a quilting fabrics/patterns shop. Although 5 miles north of I-80 - I was amazed at the photos that presented themselves as we did our morning stroll. Ran into a few people who live there and work in the Visitor Center - wonderful tales of years ago. We found a fudge shop that has the smoothest fudge - soooo worth every bite. Drove the balance of the driving path as the main village has most of the shops, historical buildings and walk-abouts. Quite the fun morning as we left Iowa. Made it into New Buffalo Indiana for this evening - and headed out to the Henry Ford Museum tomorrow. Made plans with DH for me to fly out of Nashville to Austin near end of trip, calls from DD indicate she's moving to Round Rock TX - (thank GOD she's doing this while we are on the road), and that we, dear parents, actually have a room in her home that I need to paint and buy furniture for. YIPPEEEE sings the heart - no more air mattress. AND we get to be there for our grandbabies birthday(s)party (yes, these are the twins - so a 2 for 1 deal on that day). I can't wait,,this is fun...but that will be just as fun! Let's see,,,how can I spoil them with things from the trip...? FUDGE that's right..FUDGE....lots ...of...FUDGE at their birthday party. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Grandma's get to do that even on vacation.
  9. pygmalion

Wow. You're covering a lot of ground really fast. I thought this was a five-week road trip You're gonna run out of road, before five weeks is up, it seems.
  10. 3wishes

ahhhh lol pyg, what i consider the "real" trip begins today with the ford museum. Then, than goodness, i purchased a new sony camera with high definition and a lense that extends to 200mm. The memory card card will hold up to 3500 pictures, the down side of the high definition is that the amount of video time is reduced to 12minutes for every 20 minutes of battery. I put down a pretty penny on this camera specific to the high definition i wanted in the color of the pictures. There better be lots of color alongs the roads when i get to my families cities cause i am a true shutterbug renewed!!!!!
  11. pygmalion

Ah. I didn't realize this was also going to be a visiting people trip. I thought it was strictly a seeing places trip. That makes sense. :cool:
  12. 3wishes

well, its both, i just suddenly had a brain bubble explosion to actually drive the first two weeks with dh instead of meeting him in new england. So, today, received coded msgs from ballroom sisters wondering if i have thrown DH out of the car yet, wink wink. It was a great fast drive to Dearborn MI. I had no idea what to expect at The Henry Ford but DH was like a kid at Christmas. I even had to laugh with childhood wonder when i saw the oscar mayer weinermobile, i remember this thing driving through our twon. There is no way on earth we could have viewed the Museum in the day hours we had today so we are going back tomorrow. I was thrilled to see the bus that Rosa Parks sat in, the airplanes, the vehicles. DH had so much visual noise going on in his eyeballs to the brain he didnt know which way to turn first. He heard me laughing so much that he had to see the display i was at, toys we gave our kids when they were little were on display, 8 track tapes and tape players, televisions from the 60s with those crazy commercials and bits of classic tv series' geeezzzzz louise. DH has one word for this venue Spectacular. Tommorrow we haead back to view the rest , the hall of frame, the greenfield village and then collapse. I am so glad that his wish to see this for the last two years has come true and the fear of any disappointment he might have never transpired. It is rather fun to watch him become a little kid again. Now, to go workout, hopefully when this trip is done, I will still fit iinto my ballroom clothes,,,,, ohhh the mere thought.
  13. pygmalion

The wienermobile! Oh my gosh! It would be worth it just to see that. I had a wienermobile toy as a kid. Big sister bought it for me (she worked at Oscar Meyer at the time.) So cool!
  14. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

3w....wish I had thought to see if we could meet up...new buffalo is about 25 -35 miles east of us...we had a family engagement today, but I would have happily cut it short...enjoy new buff
  15. 3wishes

I thought about you too Fascination. I knew you were nearby New Buffalo - etc. etc. Maybe Oregon then? LOL.
    Today, after KNOWING there was no way on this green earth that we were going to make it through all of The Henry Ford, we went back. YES, you read that right, WE WENT BACK. Got there when they opened, and this time truly strolled through the Airplanes, Locomotives (WOW, there is one that is so huge I cannot find a word to begin to describe it but I did take a photograph), "A place in time" where we died laughing as we both remembered things from our childhood and our children's childhood (called GS #1 to wish him happy birthday and informed him that mommies toys were in a museum, he screamed "MOM YOU ARE REALLY OLD HUH they have your toys in a museum?" We had a truly good laugh hearing DD grab the phone from GS#1. LUNCH,,,much needed. And out the doors - walking to the Greenfield Village. AHHHH DH was right on the money. Loved Greenfield Village. Realized that Thomas Edison was a genius in many other ways and T.E. reminds me of our best friends who advise the solar car race across America. WOWEEEE. Loved the walking, the inside/outside touring of the buildings, the history, the photographs I captured with all the leaves turning. I was mesmerized at the Glass Pull shop. True artist(s) at work. All the magnificent old cars dooling around the Village, the horse drawn carriages and the steam train. For the first time since leaving home, my feet actually were begging for a rest. There was so much to see!!! and no crowds, no traffic, blue skies, some clouds - perfect!!!! I would come back to Greenfield Village - it's definitely "me"....I loved all the pumpkins sprinkled throughout the streets, working farm parcels and the historic homes. We have no idea where tomorrow will take us or how far, I just know we are headed east to Rhode Island. My feet are happy right now, resting, not in sneakers, and planning on watching the full blown DWTS segment tonight. And if anyone ever says "you can see The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village" in one day....they are lying. Spectacular. ahhhhhhh.
  16. 3wishes

OH, next major stop, The Baseball Hall of Fame (I was there in 92 and I'm quite excited to go back).
    Wannabee likes this.
  17. kckc

kckc Active Member

I'm a bit late to the party, but as a native Nebraskan, I have to go with your husband here- the rest stops in Iowa (and Nebraska and Missouri) are great :)
  18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Seriously. I do not recall good rest areas in Missouri, except the couple that were rebuilt. Iowa had a few splendid ones; Nebraska, no recollection.
  19. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I'm enjoying your blog 3wishes. Keep 'em coming :)
  20. 3wishes

Hi Wannabee. Loved your video, will send PM, when my brain decides to lodge back into my head and settle between my ears. LOL.
    Took off this morning from Dearborn MI, soooo long wonderfully awesome fantastic The Henry Ford. The pictures you provided, Mr. Ford by your vision of history, are truly wonderful. DH and I decided to "but_" drive it - as he calls it. Going for broke. The map and suggestion was to go into Canada and drop south into U.S.A. and head to Cooperstown - Baseball Hall of Fame. Instead we went south, through Cleveland (hugs and kisses nephew - good luck with the opening of your modeling studio) and fond farewell to Ohio as well. GEEZZZZ really? there is some serious road construction going on for miles in what seems to be every state possible - becoming more and more the farther east we go. DH announces "I see cones,,,,lots...of....cones...bhawwwwww" so not funny. hmpgh! I read, read read - sleep - read....read some more. Stop for lunch, weather is goregous, perfect, reminds me of home. Oh, that place, that place where my oven is, my garden, my closet, MY OWN BEDROOM...lol. DH askes if I'm homesick, well, response comes...yes and no. Back on the road...the two land highway opens up and the majestic colors of fall show themselves, on the hills and the valleys and along the road. It reminds me of Thanksgiving and the way the colors would decorate the dinner table or the welcome door. DH decides the landscape looks like pumpkin pie spice, very yummy. I rib him, literally, it's yummy until you have to shovel snow...silent smile looking at the beauty before us. DH makes a wrong turn,,,,oh,,,did I tell you?,,,,he makes a wrong turn about 4 times a day and within 100 feet realizes it and turns around, yep, every day, including wrong turns out of the hotel rooms. It's hysterical at times as he becomes lost in a hotel. So, this begs the question, how does he keep me on post when we are at a competition but he cannot get out of the parking lot without help? hmmmmmmmmmm, a lot he is very familar with...hmmmmmm...no help from the peanut gallery out there in DF land. shhhhhhhh. DH receives call from older sister who moved to Birmingham AL - "are you driving here? when are you getting here? Has DW offered you for a sacrifice yet? " ahhhh dear SIL - you know me well,,,praise you and your humor. As he talks to his sister, DH gets off fwy, we have now been driving for oh 9 hours - he exits for Cooperstown, he wants a picture of the Soccer Hall of Fame to send to his other sister (who is a soccer fan in a major way) and I tell him, miles into the turn off - there was no soccer hall of fame dear at the interchange. DH looks? looks again - at me...I'm sorry dear, are you deaf? there is no soccor hall of fame we are on the wrong road AGAIN! He smiles,,,he says,,,,"enjoy the scenary - we'll get there sometime this evening"...ok...that was not even funny this time. I show DH map,,,point with finger, instruct him...to TURN RIGHT....500 yards (imitation of On-Star directional service which he feels is cheating if we use it on this trip), granted the region is lovely, the farms and houses are...spacious meaning there is land between the neighbors, they have definately decorated for the Halloween evening, but now I'm tired, looked at more trees than I could count, and that bathtub has my name all OVER it,,,well, including the pool here at the Best Western (pretty nice place, no wonder my nephews loved this place when they were in the Little League World Series). I spy some pinball machines,,,hmmmm, hmmmm.....maybe later. DWTS result show is almost on and my eyelids are slowy dropping! Touring tomorrow, thank goodness we got here today.