my roadtrip blog w/dh

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by 3wishes, Sep 28, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Good night, 3w. :)

2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

i forgot how much fun the baseball hall of fame can be. Did an all day thing, strolled the main street, loved the brisk air and got some amazing shots with my camera. Hooking up with DH relatives in Rhode Island and searching for ancestry roots. Should be fun:

3. 3wishes

ok' so here is a question, what is up with the road signs for rest stops and such and there is a big question mark as a sign at the bottom? we have now viewed this in several routes in mostly new york as we went to cooperstown and now as we drive to west warwick rhode island.

4. raindance

raindance Active Member

Perhaps it means that there is an information booth (with local maps/brochures, etc) available at that location? Just a guess.

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Got it in one.

6. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

Ok, good. Glad we setteled that because I was thinking "maybe it's a rest stop or maybe it isn't, maybe it will cost you $20 to find out", stuff like that. Info is much better than what's behind stall #1 tangent I was going down lol

GGinrhinestones likes this.
  7. 3wishes

now that is funny- really wondered why anyone would put a ? aat the bottom of rest stop sign, or, rest stp, food, hotels sign i mean along one route understandable, but several, all in and near Cooperstown, Take Me Out To The Balllllllll Game. lol. We are so surprised to see the lack of fall colors as we took 90e to 95s and then 95n. There is still alot of green. Boy, did we surprise DH 93 year old aunt. She is the one with the family history that no one knows. We took her outside in the spring air and warm sun and listened. She found several pics for DH of his mother at a young age which no one knew existed. The drive has been so worth it. DH has not missed a day without a wrong turn, he is pretty darn consistent that way lol. DD called DH on the side, asked if i left him yet! Why do our kids have no faith in their parents ability to get along in a moving cage on wheels for five weeks hahaha. I think they bet against each other. Now we have discovered a library and a church we have to get to as they have some facts and pictures of husbands family ancestors. I love hunts like this you never know where it will lead you

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  8. 3wishes

so, now that we are on the left coast, 4,000 miles later, here are some quirky lessons learned (sans motorhome we use to have)
    1. Any state, outside of California, has better rest stops than California.
    2. If you assume every multi story hotel has an elevator...wrong.
    3. Not all museums are alike, some are actually, not boring.
    4. Pullin off the beaten path can lead to the most memorable experiences.
    5. If drivers in California actually obeyed the traffic signs we may havee less wrecks and get to points afar quicker, I am still astounded that several states had speed limits of 80, we were doing a quick clip.
    6. Just because your car weather gauge reads 52, it will feel like 27 in a good wind.
    7. Don't let the adult kids know how much fun and carefree days your having, they might want to join up with you!
    8. and finally, as i wwatch DH sleeping at 4;30 p.m. now, let them sleep, sheer enjoyment can be exhuasting after a beautiful drive.

9. 3wishes

up and working out.
    some sort of normal, i could actually run for a mile. yea.
    dh and head off to the public library, got lots of help tracking his family.
    found his mothers high school year book!
    yipppeeee
    her senior picture literally jumps off the page right at him.
    dh discovers things about his mom he never knew and never discussed, her love for all sports, her high achievement tests, the jitterbug dancer she was, the fact shenplayed basketball and baseball. his mouth drops open.
    i snap as many pics of the pages and information as i can.
    i see he is happy, stunned, but really happy.
    head back to aunts residence, out for lunch with her on the water. it was great, the river, the trees, the stories.
    cannot find information on his grandfather, but decide to find cemetary of grandmother. did i mention he makes wrong turns?
    with 93 year old aunt in front seat, dh talks to her about not getting lost this time he will use on-star. i have paper map in hand in back seat.she loves technology.hendials up guidance system, askes for address, they reply with directions. uhhhh, honey, why are we so far north? i think we r going wrong way, as i look at map.

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. 3wishes

yes, even with on-star, we ended up in the middle of a forest, not at the address and the aunt was laughing all the way back, as was i, i could not help it, and dh started laughing as well. well, at least we are in the same city and not a different state.
    dropped aunt off, head back, with dh asking me,,,,,do you have that paper map? rofl......until tomorrow in new london, signing off for now from west warwick rhode island.....map at the ready. 3wishes.

GGinrhinestones and j_alexandra like this.
  11. 3wishes

no rest for the road warriors.
    call from dd goes like this
    ring ring, dh answers it, "yes dd, why do you always call when we are eating dinner, regardless of where we are, what we are doing, for years and years?"
    dd answers with laughter
    dh askes, yes what do you want?
    dd to dh "since your in Rhoode Island, can you pick up Boston Red Sox sheets for GS#1?"
    dh to dd _ ahhhhhh RED SOX!!!!! RED SOX dodger blue is true
    me to my brain , ahhhhhh here we go.
    DD, dad we moved intonthis house and didnt ask for any help you should be proud of me, so Rhode Island doesnt have a MLB team, just take a look their team should be boston red sox and GS could really use new bedsheets,,,,
    THATS IT
    I take phone out of Dh hand and say the treaded first, middle and last name stentence with the finish of Find a catalog, place an order, use your own DD money and give it to him for Xmas
    Rebuttal by DD to me: OH, mom, hi, dad didnt say you were sitting there.
    lol.
    sorry to df-ers reading this, i still do not have a good read on tapping this screen. i reallyy do know how to spell.

12. 3wishes

this morning was so perfecr, spring was in the air,sunny day and no colors of leaves like there was in Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, Michigan, and Cooperstown NY. Yet, it was a lovely morning. Headed off to the Nautilus Submarine and sub base museum in Groton Ct. The water at the base was so still you could call it glass, perfecr water skiing glass. The flags were flying full out on mast, DH is transported in time to his 4 years of service on a fast attack submarine. We watch some veterans of other submarines gather for a ceremony and, as if on cue, a number of sail boats come by. It is beautiful here and i find that my camera is magically snapping pictures. The museum is cool, the gift shop is a true friend to me this day as dear husband turns 60 tomorrow. I ask the clerk to make the purchase of items in hiding as dh is in the shop with me. I even find a submarine cookie cutter, great for veterans day. I get dh a first in silent service coin. Drive to South plainfield NJ. I have not missed this traffice, and the tunnels, the cars, the trucks, and these crazy "jug handle" left turn circles. My cousin comes to get us on a rescue mission and take us to hisnhome. We meet Speedy, a rescue grey hound who obviouly runs the house, he is adorable. Wine, dinner, Italian stories, stories of our ancestors, who was who, how are we related, the OH MYYYY s ensue. We laugh for hours and i thnks them for not takingnus out, Ilove staying in and after 18 days on the road staying in is a good thing. The guys talk, the girls talk, desert, tea and fond farewells. My cousin askes me if i like the vases on his hutch, which i noticed them when i walked in, they are beautiful and from the 1800s. He informs me that they belonged to our great grandmother,s the woman who i found that got us here, literally. I am stunned that there are any articles from her home as the house fire destroyed most of the home in 1913. I am thankful and overwhlemed, these are not regular everyday flower vases, these are antiques', hw wraps my choice of the two, carefully boxes it and hands it to dh, saying, if you break this on your 3000 mile journey home, i think you better just keep driving cause she will not be happy. Tomorrow, Denville. And for all you DF lurkers on the blog, please join me in wishing my road warrior/touring dearest husband a happy 60th birthday Sunday the 14th, HUGS DH! n, and be careful with that vase lol.

j_alexandra likes this.
  13. pygmalion

I am loving your trip, 3w. I applaud the generosity of your cousin. Those vases are precious, and he parted with one. Wow.

Happy birthday to your dear, DH.

Have a wonderful day tomorrow. I know you will. *hugs*

14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

um. Denville? Like, y'know, striking distance? more or less 45 minutes?

Just sayin'.

15. pygmalion

Ya know. There's nothing quite like an old-fashioned map. When I moved to FL, it was before mapquest and GPS were available (or at least, before I knew they existed.) When I got to town, the first thing I did was buy a few good maps of the area, spread them out on the livingroom floor, and get myself oriented. I had a basic idea of where I was, no matter where I was in the metro area, in a matter of a few weeks. I've been in DFW for years now and still (except for my own neighborhood) don't know my butt from a hand basket, unless I mapquest directions first. There's a lot to be said for a good old-fashioned map.

16. 3wishes

Denville, specifically Shawger Road. I love the lake, three adult swans and baby. The colors of the trees and how they turned brillant, bursting with colors and reflections into the calm still water. The homes decorated for Halloween, with the skinney streets, the people walking their kids, the hellos and goodbyes and the oh by the way this is my "neice" and her husband. The gaterhing of family on the fly, once they found out I got here with DH, the stories, as remembered as best they could, the kids and second cousins all out-doing themselves with band, drums, competitions, Irish Dancing and of course, football. The pounding of feet up and down creeking stairs, the black bear, YES ANOTHER BEAR, in the backyard, and the big yellow lab who barks like mad at you in the front yard but doesn't leave his boundries. The Aunts, the Uncles, the maps, the photos, the where did you go? what did you see? oh myyyyyy, let's sit and and and and and. It was so good, to feel grounded, in my roots (not my hair - pun - not bun lol). To see DH laugh as well as the road, the touring and the "I'm anti-social" thing melts away. The questions asked about our youth and the responses we give. Old albums come out and we find pictures of me and my little brother (at 4 months of age) that the Aunts simple give to me. Such a treasure, I almost cried, pictures of my great, great mother and great grandfather from Germany. My mother had a house fire in 1975 and it destroyed all our young baby and toddler pictures. I found some of mine later and restored them but never knew anyone had any of my brother and he's never been able to show his kids. This will be such a great Christmas Present....digital here we come. One last walk, we meet a grandpa pushing his 2 month old granddaughter,, sleeping, to the lake. Talk begins and I find he use to fish on my Uncles Charter Boat out of Belmar - frequently, It's a small world isn't it? Now in Belmar and Forked River - to see new little ones that have arrived and cousins that are fun and never normal it seems. Then on to Keyser West Virgina. Lovely.

17. 3wishes

And, most notable on those 1957 pictures in black and white, my mother's unique handwriting, describing "my beautiful baby boy", "my silly daughter"....ahhhh I miss her, thanks mom, for the note on the photos we never could find, I can feel you on my shoulder. And so does your son.

Wannabee and j_alexandra like this.
  18. 3wishes

Ok, soooooooo, heading from Neptune to Forked River,
    it's pretty much a given, we've witnessed and experienced,
    THAT - any road construction speed limit will be ignored.
    For example, lots of road construction - signs indicating "45 miles per hour or triple the fine"
    well, where we live, they mean it, out here at least on our drive, it's a permission slip to
    do 85 in the zone.
    Normal...on the parkway...just as fast, forget blinkers, yeah, those things that indicate
    where your moving your car into what lane...no such luck,,,so what does my uncle do?
    He's gonna teach that young whippersnapper a thing or two....and slow down to
    10 miles an hour once we get to Marina and blocks the lane so the "young whippersnapper who is goni too fast for his own good slows down".....
    I die a thousand deaths, close my eyes, say a quick prayer and pretend I don't know him.
    Gotta love it.
    Welcome home.

19. 3wishes

At my older cousins home. Forked River, talk, talk talk, and laughter, loud laughter, louder laughter
    as "cars" muscle cars, motorcycles are discussed. His wife and I catch up with each other.
    I miss motorcycle riding I decided. He brings out a picture of my motorcylce when all of us rode as youngsters because our parents thought gasoline was too pricey. The parental theory we decided was, they only had one gallon gas tanks...the cost was minimal and only one person could sit on the seat,,,there wouldn't be a boyfriend or girlfriend on there as well.
    We howl with laughter, as we see our adult children and their children...and the comments, the snarky joking attacks on Irish/German ancestry....our mothers as sisters....the boats the fishing.
    We discover while in the Marina, once we were off the boats (charter fishing vessels we worked for our Uncle) - we never ate fish again,,,
    Discovered alot of likes/dislikes/similar things - now that we had time to just "stand still" for a moment.
    Drove back up to Middletown - music playing, remember when's, discussion on work-outs- and them possibly coming to California with their motorcycles and meeting us on Hwy 1 for a coastal ride.
    Walking the neighborhoods with the little girls who are adorable - see houses on pillars - to protect a little frog that no one has seen since they built the homes in order to protect the frog. Start laughing yet again.
    The boats are coming in, the sun is going down, the camera comes out...and YET the cousin drags out his 1974 photo album of his restored muscle cars - and the circle of life is nearly complete - when my DH challenges my cousin with a challenge coin and Naval submarine vs Carrier "puke" theory...HEEERRRREEEEEE WE GO FOLKS - it's long into the night before sleep demands a stop to everything. The girls are bathed, baby bottles put away, the new 5 month old is in my arms as she giggles one last time.....ahhhhh thoughts of my own grandchildren - 8 days away from seeing them...start invading my brain waves. I share a story with the little ones of the Popcorn Park for Animals that we visited before we came and saw them, the Camel, the lion, the geese, the dogs, the little phonys that were there and all the turtle at this tiny Popcorn Park that does good things for exotic and domestic animals in need. They loved hearing about the Camel. Life is short...treasure every moment, every sunset, every sunrise.

20. 3wishes

trying to type while on the road is nearly impossible with dh hittin every bump in the road, literally. geezzzzzzzz.
    headed out from neptune to lancaster county, PA. Let me just say this, while in Denville the guys all pulled out their maps, calculated this, that, and the gettysberg visitor center, then i was informed we were going to these places, how did i feel about it? not happy, i reminded dh that my sister who is in west virginia , is waiting for us, and we went to amish country while in OSB, as well, I had been to gettysberg several times, and i truky did not want to do any shopping. I wanted to see my sister for the day, the reply was and i quote" well, we havent been to lancaster county in a long time and we are going to go because thats what i want to do" Needless tonsay when the 90 minute trip turned into three hours because he again took a wrong route, i kept silent. We saw wonderful farmland, i photographed bridges, lunch was a welcome relief and dh asked why didnt i want to shop? HUH? i have stuff from lancaster county, i have quilts, i have fabric,,and i did inform you that i did notnwant to travel here. DH looked at me and, said this "all you had to do was tell me you did not want to come here" OMG! Are you deaf? Are you single task focused? IS the road a mere blur and the white lines have fried your brain? this is a joke right? i though i was pretty clear. So onward to gettysberg. I remembered alot about this place. I have to say that the visitor center is great. MUch better than before. I watched the hours tic by and realized i would not make my sisters house in west virginia after dh insisted on seeing every exhibit at the museum . Poor sis, somehow all of our time is now cut down to just the morning tomorrow. DH suddenly has a brain bubble and no matter how many times he offers to be nice he knows i am steamed and if he hitched to nashvulle, at this point in time i would not mind. Funny how they bend over backwarss when they know your upset. The rain starts falling, and tomorrow will be early up, two hours to sisters house in Keyser West Virginia, at least we will have the morning. somehow. sigh..