My very very first comp HOA 2011

Discussion in 'Videos' started by Wannabee, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

My first attempt at posting a video to DF. It probably won't work, but just in case...

This was my very first comp over a year ago. I like to think I've improved since then but I thought getting it out there might help motivate me.
  2. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Missed the edit time but I just wanted to add... This is by far IMO my worst, most embarrassing dancing, size, etc. I am a little thinner now and I hope much improved dance-wise. But I'm having issues actually watching/videoing/letting others see my dancing. So I figured if I can survive this being on DF, I can survive anything (dance related that is). I welcome all comments. The positive ones and the negative ones will all help me in my dance journey. I'm very self-aware so have at it.
  3. raindance

raindance Active Member

I can see the video screen embedded in your post, with a still image from the video. But when I click to watch it, it says "This video is private". So maybe check your youtube settings for that video and make it public so we can watch it. :)
  4. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Thanks for the heads up. I went just now and changed it to public video. I may try to repost if it still doesn't work.
    raindance likes this.
  5. raindance

raindance Active Member

It works fine for me now. I watched your first set of heats and bits of the rest. I think you did a nice job! I know it is always hard for most people to watch themselves on video, but there is nothing to be embarrassed about there!
  6. kckc

kckc Active Member

looks good to me! I noticed how you especially light up on the Viennese Waltz. That dance makes me smile too.
  7. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Thanks raindance. It is incredibly difficult to watch myself dancing on video. Pro is always wanting to video this step or that technique, etc. and it's like I completely forget everything the minute he hits that record button. So I figured this was a good way to just get over myself. I don't have a good body, my dancing leaves much to be desired, but so what. I love it and I am getting better....on both counts lol. So to he** with it. Here I am in all my unglory :D

KCKC- so true about VW. I simply can't help but smile when I do that dance. It's just so fun to go flying around the room. Even more so now that I have the technique to actually fly. I have absolutely ZERO time to focus on facial expressions when I'm dancing. At this stage, I'm still having to focus too hard on technique, etc. So whatever facial expressions I do have are 100% natural, as I don't have time to think about faking a smile or the like lol
  8. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi Wannabee!

I really enjoyed watching you dance! You look lovely and I especially liked the fact that you kept a quiet frame and open topline most of the time. In smooth I always watch to see that the movement is indeed, well, "smooth" - and traveling. And I think you did a good job of that. You look graceful both in and out of closed position too! Nice job!

I enjoyed your Viennese and Waltz the most of the dances.

I think you are brave and to be commended for facing head on your unease with others watching your dancing - especially on video, which is usually not kind to our dancing. I enjoyed watching you and you have absolutely nothing you should feel you need to hide....continue to enjoy your dancing and keep up the great work on the floor Wannabee!!
  9. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Thanks latingal. I appreciate the kind words. It is a very brave thing indeed to post dancing videos, even to a place like DF where "folks" are usually very kind :)
    latingal likes this.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Wannabee, these were great to watch. You move very well, your frame looks good, your footwork looks good from what I can see, and your facial expressions are very pleasant. The one comment I could make is that you might want to watch your head positions a bit... there's a few spots where you appear to be facing directly at your partner's face while you are in frame. (I say this because I have recently realized that I am a lot worse with head position than I thought I was.)

BTW, I do not see you as a "large" woman as you describe yourself. Believe me, I've danced with much larger... and big girls can be very good and light dancers if they know how to move themselves. You appear to be about the same height and build as my DW, and I do not think of her as large at all.
    Wannabee likes this.
  11. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Wannabee, I am very impressed! Lovely dancing!
  12. Wannabee

Wannabee Active Member

Thanks cornutt. I appreciate the advice (my head and shoulders seem to have a mind of their own). And I thank you for encouraging me in the size department lol. We can all use that :)

Deb- It is nice to hear good things about one's dancing and your words were very kind. Thanks so much.