NDCA Syllabus

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Here is the complete video list of the NDCA Syllabi.
    International includes Bronze, Silver, and Gold.
    American Style videos only go to Bronze. The Silver is in production.
  2. letsdance101

letsdance101 Member

This is fabulous

Thank you so much for sharing this!!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Active Member

I'm surprised that Peabody ended up in the rhythm section, since the one NDCA comp I've attended had it on smooth day (and, as progressive dance vaguely reminiscent of foxtrot, it seems like it fits better in smooth to me). Was that a mistake, or is it actually classified as rhythm?

Regardless, awesome video resource!
  4. Larinda McRaven

Would you like me to move it to smooth?
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. Larinda McRaven

Or perhaps I move all the club dances to one playlist and out of the rhythm playlist?
  6. Larinda McRaven

Club dance playlist now created to include peabody, hustle, wcs, merengue, and samba.
    billman and Bailamosdance like this.
  7. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

What a great resource! Looking forward to seeing the silver rhythm!
  8. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Member

Thanks Larinda! Can't wait to see the silver American!
  9. bcjm

bcjm New Member

Great reference. Is NDCA the American branch of ISTD? Are the Syllabi danced the same way between the two organizations?
  10. Larinda McRaven

The NDCA is the National Dancer Council of America, it is the governing body for professional dancesport in America. ISTD, or rather the USISTD, is one of the member organizations within the NDCA.

The two syllabi are similar but not identical. However, a spin turn is still a spin turn and danced the same regardless of which syllabus you are reading from.
  11. bcjm

bcjm New Member

The Sliding Door in Rumba is very different than what I have learned. I am just curious. Can once dance that way in a syllabus dance competition?
  12. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

The outside change looks a lot like a reverse corte in bronze int'l waltz ;) (accidental repeat I think).
  13. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Interesting that, THE most popular " club " dance, salsa, is not included, but, 4 dances one never hears/sees in a "club ", are.
  14. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

+ 1
  15. Larinda McRaven

oops
  16. bluslu

bluslu Member

Larinda,

Do you know if there is anywhere that compares the NDCA syllabus and the USA dance syllabus? As a collegiate dancer, it's my impression that I should be following the USA Dance syllabus but the USA Dance syllabus doesn't really provide names of things allowed, it more defines specifics to rhythm (you can add shadow, you may add syncopation, these types of things) and not specific moves. Knowing actual moves would be awesome and I know NDCA seems to provide more specifics. Or is there something similar as what you just posted available for the USA Dance syllabus?

This is awesome, though I wish I had had time to watch it BEFORE leaving for this weekends competition. Thanks!
  17. Larinda McRaven

18. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

There is a website called ballroomdancers.com that also contains syllabus for all 4 styles and all levels of dance. Does anyone know what specific syllabus they are using for their American style dances? I've found it quite useful.
  19. TwoRightFeet

TwoRightFeet Active Member

I believe they made up their own syllabus. If you want to know for sure, you can post a question on their message board and Jonathan Atkinson will most likely give you an answer.
    debmc likes this.
  20. Larinda McRaven

Johnathan just makes his own, with the help of the featured dancers.
    debmc likes this.