NDCA Syllabus

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Feb 25, 2014.

1. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I see. Alot of the patterns show up in other syllabus so I thought it was based on something official. If they have a pattern in their American syllabus silver, and it doesn't break any of the NDCA rules regarding what's allowed or not allowed, can I use that pattern?
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

What I have been informed is that it is more important to not break the restrictions than it is to follow the syllabus list to a T.
    Dancing Irishman and debmc like this.
  3. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Thanks!
  4. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Thank goodness! I was really worried that the new syllabi might hurt attendance from the franchises at NDCA comps by forcing them to abandon their syllabi entirely (which would be weird, since both major franchises I know of are NDCA members in some capacity). No idea if the actual impact would be much, but this still makes my barefooted hippie "we should all be friends because we love dance!" side happy.
  5. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I was referred to an excellent explanation of how their syllabus was developed on ballroom dancers .com, and yes, it is an acceptable syllabus for NDCA. It is a very well organized and structured system, I like it!
    Hedwaite likes this.
  6. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I am trying to figure this out... Is a back wisk (sp) in American an allowable silver figure? How about a contra check? A pro was told that in silver a couple could not begin a routine side by side and had to be facing.
    Are there any other position restrictions?

Also I just find open silver a strange category! My understanding is that you are dancing open material with no restrictions, at a silver level.. Wierd!
  7. Larinda McRaven

Silver Restrictions:
    No entrances allowed; partners must start in a closed or open facing hold.

Single or double hand hold in facing and shadow positions may not comprise more than 50% of a routine.

Partners may not completely separate for more than 1 measure.

Shadow work restricted to 8 measures

No dips or drops below the waist level. No knee drops, sit drops, or floor slashes, Sitting Hens, Horse & Cart, Pot Stirrers, Hinges, Left Whisks, X-Lines, Eros Lines, Throwaway Oversways, Tandem Position

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  8. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Member

In the bronze syllabus restrictions it says 'no spirals'...Does it mean spiral turns in rhythm, spiral steps in smooth, or both? Are there restrictions on swivels in rhythm in bronze?

thanks!
  9. Larinda McRaven

It means spiral turns... not the spiral pattern.

I don't see anything that mentions swivel restrictions....
    In bronze cha cha and swing there are swivel patterns.

Attached Files:

10. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Member

I watched the video and they are different from the swivels we do in rumba, mambo and merengue, and didn't see any swivel patterns in those dances in the videos, so that is why I asked. I noticed some with swivels in the silver syllabus though.

Thank you for the clarification. I would assume the spiral pattern in smooth would be restricted in Bronze as they usually include continuity steps, but its good to know it means the spiral turns in rhythm :)
  11. Larinda McRaven

Can't really say about your swivels then.... your teacher should probably call one of the people that put the syllabus together... just to ask questions.
    I have them on speed dial ;)
  12. Spookisgirl

Spookisgirl Member

I will suggest it to him :) Thanks!
  13. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

Thanks SO much for the info, Larinda.
  14. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Does this mean the silver rhythm syllabus videos are on the NDCA site? I could only find the bronze.
  15. Larinda McRaven

no. The written silver syllabus only came into existence in January. It will take at least a year before for the videos are produced. Everything is all done on a volunteer basis.
    debmc likes this.
  16. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Thanks Larinda
  17. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

oh dear, does that mean my awesome Bobby Gene Suto and Ernesto Diaz syllabus videos are no longer useful? :eek: :D
  18. Larinda McRaven

in an NDCA competition they are.... for your own learning and dancing they are still great.
  19. novemberecho

novemberecho Member

apologies if there's somewhere more appropriate for this question, I could not find a discussion specific to learning open choreography...

I've just started learning open standard. I'm wondering if there are published guidelines, even informal, for open technique?
    I primarily used the USISTD Ballroom Technique (grey book) since I started learning dance, supplemented with NDCA videos and websites like DanceCentral(.info), BallroomDancers, etc. (I've been taking private lessons weekly for years also; don't want to give the impression I'm learning to dance from a book).
    I know there are countless variations in the ways open figures may be modified; does this preclude any written technical guidelines?

Just curious. In the past as I've been practicing on my own, I've always been able to refer to the book to answer technical-type questions; seems now I may have to just wait until my next lesson?
    I'll ask my coach this question too, but would love any feedback you guys might have.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It's Open--anything goes. Within the character of the dance, obviously. But the syllabus technique can be used as a basis for many of the open figures...you just need to determine which figures apply.
    novemberecho and Bailamosdance like this.