New England Dancesport Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dlliba10, Aug 8, 2012.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Who else is going? It'll probably be the first competition of the academic year for my Smooth and Rhythm partners and me, probably Gold/Novice Smooth and hopefully Prechamp/Champ Rhythm if my partners and I can get our butts into gear!

2. ballroomlady

ballroomlady New Member

Looking forward to meeting you dlliba!

3. ballroomlady

ballroomlady New Member

The dates are 28, 29, 30 September 2012.
    Registration and Ticket Sales are open
    It's a dot org url beginning with nedancesport

4. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

We're thinking about going to compete Pre-Champ/Champ Standard.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What's the entry fee? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the website.

6. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I don't see it on the website either, but the entry form on o2cm reads:

I'm not going to the comp, so I didn't actually click through to see what it would actually charge, but I assume that note is accurate. :)

7. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

I'm pretty sure that's accurate...and the reason I won't be going. Way too expensive for a first year comp in my opinion.

8. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Really? Includes dinner and ballroom entry...

9. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

:grin:
    We are planning on this one as well

10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I didn't realize it includes dinner and a workshop entry! My partner and I were wondering why it seemed so expensive.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

But then it looks like you pay $20 per entry on top of that.

12. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Yeah, $105 to do two events is way too much for me. Ballroom entry is expected at a non-NDCA comp. I don't really consider that a perk.

13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Huh, what's even crappier is you're paying $20 per event, but you get 2 dances for Bronze, 3 for Silver, 4 for Gold, 3 for Novice, 4 for Pre-champ, and 5 for Champ (4 for Champ Smooth of course). Obviously Champ is going to include them all, but shouldn't half as many dances get some sort of entry fee break? And Newcomer is $5 per dance, with 3 dances offered per style (except Latin with just 2), so that's a maximum of $15 per event. And Newcomer Intl Foxtrot :confused: Really?!?

14. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Definitely on the more expensive side for a USADance comp. The fact that the entry fees include dinner tells me that the organizers have a more social perspective. There are plenty of amateur couples in the Boston area alone to make this a successful comp. The problem is they are used to paying a lot less money for unlimited entries. Another issue is that the vast majority do not have a USA Dance membership so that's another cost on top of the high entry fees. Not sure the organizers thought this through.

15. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

We decided not to go after all. I couldn't find a flight schedule that worked for us, and the registration fees are high. We have a competition in our home town the following weekend anyway that's also a NQE.

16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

And that one is cheaper only by virtue of not having to fly. ;)

17. Dancer29

Dancer29 New Member

Hi there dancers
    Just checking to see who is going to the MA based NQE?

18. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

... true unfortunately

19. Dancer29

Dancer29 New Member

Not sure if I agree

Folks, not sure if I agree re:registration fees
    For as long as I can remember, we were flying and driving all over the country to qualify. Now we have an event that is in our home state. As for the rates, I would say that it's right in line with other USA Dance comps. If I recall, some of the NY based comps charge over 100 for junior competitors for multi dance events..... And, no one offered dinner for that rate....
    I'd say try a new venue and keep an open mind....

20. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

Might be more agreeable if adult competitors were not *forced* into dinner and workshop they may not want. Is that part of the reason why the under-19 price is $40 vs. $85 for adults? It would be nice to have another option that includes only NQE events and none of the "fringe" stuff.