New England Dancesport Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dlliba10, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Hmmm...I don't know of any USA Dance comps in the NY area that are over 100 for Junior competitors....or even adult competitors for that matter.
  2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think one of the issues regarding the cost is this area, Boston, is already over saturated with competitions. 5 NDCA events, and at least 6 Collegiate events that I get asked to judge, and I am sure several more that I can't think if because I don't judge them.

I can understand WHY USADance would want to tap this market... however it is really a market that doesn't NEED another circuit.

The college kids and juniors from right here, that need NQE points, are already doing MAC. The rest of them... don't. And that is enough reason to dismiss a comp that has higher fees, they simply don't NEED it when there are cheaper options every few weeks around here to pick from.

The price, and the lack of a la carte options, coupled with a lack of "need" of points inside yet another circuit, are the main drawbacks that I am hearing about regularly from the couples I see.
  3. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Price is definitely an issue, but my Smooth partner and I at least are doing it to help qualify for a free entry at Nationals (competing in 4 NQEs in the same events = a free entry). We did Summer Sizzler, we are going to do MAC and Mid-Atlantics, and NE Dancesport just happened to be the most convenient for us location-wise.
  4. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Boston area hotels are also very expensive.As this is a new event with no occupany record then I imagine that the food and beverage minimum could be fairly high.This would explain the dinner included in the price.

Chris
  5. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

The comp's up in Danvers, which opens up non city based hotels as an option, which are significantly cheaper than in Boston proper. Southern NH accommodations become a reasonable distance away (~30 minutes' drive) at that point as well.

What I've heard from some couples is that even though the reg fee is high, overall it's still cheaper than hiking to NYC for MAC and they'd rather spend their dance budget on lessons, than NY travel and lodging. Maybe the nedancesport people are bargaining on that.

But given the organizers were looking to make the comp collegiate/student friendly, they seem to have less than succeeded on the entry fee metric.
  6. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

Well, folks, this IS ballroom, and more often than not, it is an expensive profession and hobby. :) Jeez-louise, it's discussed all over Dance-Forums how expensive it is. The decision to go is ultimately up to the participant, regardless of their respective budgets [there's always a way to make it and spread the cost].

It's local comp so why not support it; if memory serves, this is MASSABDA's first comp in a long time and it is a local qualifier for Nationals in LOS ANGELES in April. If folks want to discuss expense, what about that event? The hotel is LA Live, which is $300+ per room a night. Plus a near $500 round trip flight!

BTW, for Nationals in LA, it appears the main hotel, LA Live, and other cheaper alternatives nearby have been blocked off for that weekend.
  7. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Actually the hotel cost of Nationals in LA is $199 plus tax and fees per night.
  8. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

USA Dance has a block of rooms at the LA Live, but by no means are they sold out at this point. If anyone has tried to reserve a room and were told by the hotel that the rooms were sold out, please let me know ASAP and I'll contact the hotel and find out what problem is. FYI, the cost for the LA Live rooms for Nationals is $199.00 plus tax. Fairly cheap for LA if you ask me :)
  9. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

Well, that's the probably the block rate the hotel is giving to the competition. It's regularly priced at around $300. So much for semantics.

If this block rate, which is cheap for LA, does not dissuade folks from going to Nationals, why does the cost of this local comp prevent potential participants from going then? Go ahead and support the NE Dancesport Championships! :)
  10. Casayoto

Casayoto Member

Because it's not Nationals...
  11. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Because as previously stated, the majority of couples this comp is banking on are not going to nationals and have cheaper options.
  12. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

How do we know which couples this comp is "banking on"? Can you say who they are?
  13. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Im not attending the New England event this year as i learned about it after my year was planned But id go to boston in the fall before you would EVER get me in NYC in the winter!! of course im from AZ so...

USA dance is VERY inexpensive compared to the NDCA

no worse than we from the west flying to baltimore
  14. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

I still do not understand what are the registration options for people who cannot attend Friday workshops because they would have to work and leave for the comp late Friday night, also what if one does not plan to have dinner Saturday night because he has different plans for the night, or actually my be dancing that night. I do not think dinner is an option for many of use before we dance. Also, in the schedule, it says Adult finals are in the evening, this does not include any senior events, right? I have emailed my questions to the event registar, but did not get any responses yet, may be someone here can help me with the answers. Thank you
  15. jerseydancer

What if one does not want the dinner, and cannot participate in a workshop, feels like paying for stuff that are not going to be used. Why no options just for registration and events fees, minus the dinner, and workshop. I do not understand what was the thinking behind this.
  16. Jane Rexroad

Jane Rexroad New Member

Arrangements will be made for those dancing on Saturday evening to have dinner after their event.

17. Jane Rexroad

Jane Rexroad New Member

We regret we are unable to offer a la carte options this year.

Chris hit the nail on the head with his post.

This event has no history to negotiate with the venue. Fees are based on costs of running the comp - and the fees themselves only begin to defray the costs. I can assure you no one is realizing any profit and MASSabda/USA Dance Chapter 3002 will continue to work dilligently to secure event sponsors and donations for this year's NQE and moving forward.

Not certain the news has reached everyone yet - due to a generous donation from an event sponsor, we can now offer a student discount for registration fee. Info on our website.

18. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Thank you, Jane, for clarifying.
  19. jerseydancer

Thank you very much for all clarifications.
  20. Waltz7

Waltz7 New Member

Jerseydancer, I am the Registrar for this competition. I apologize that you did not receive a response to an email you sent. However, I have answered every email I received, so perhaps you had the incorrect email address. I'd be more than happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you have. Feel free to private message me on Dance Forums if you have any further questions, or if I can be of any assistance at all.

Thanks and have a great day.
    Denise