New to the Forum! What tango song never seems to get our of your head? Why do you think that?

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by ecoutertango, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ecoutertango

ecoutertango New Member

Hi everyone, I'm a tango lover and musician. Just found this forum and started reading what a lot of you have to say about the many elements in Dance and Tango. It's so much fun to hear what you have to say. So I decided to take part!
    As I mention in my title, Im wondering what is everyone's current favorite tune in the tango genre? What do you think makes it so catchy? Why do you like it so much? And if possible share a recording of it that you love.

I want to say my favorites are Adios Nonino - Piazzolla and Volver by Carlos Gardel.

Looking forward yo hearing what your favorites are!
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hi ecouter! Welcome. :)
  3. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I always have a tune of some sort going in my head, but it's often just the most recent thing I've heard on the radio. However, I do have a default tune that is a tango and it's there whenever anything else is not. Trouble is, it's easily recognizable, but I don't know the name of it.
  4. ecoutertango

ecoutertango New Member

HI! glad to be here! thanks!
  5. ecoutertango

ecoutertango New Member

i know the feeling sometimes. theres an app that can recongize tunes. for the smartphones. Shazam is what i think its called.
  6. LKSO

LKSO Active Member

"Poema" sung by Roberto Maida and conducted by Francisco Canaro. It's simple, elegant, and has a contrasting firm section that can be used creatively in the dance.
  7. Yogur griego

Yogur griego Member

Que falta que me haces. The versions by Anibal Troilo & Roberto Rufino (havent found this one on youtube) and by Osvaldo Pugliese & Jorge Maciel.

9:30

The lyrics are fascinating, I know them by heart. Especially the way Rufino puts drama in his voice ''gaaaanas de encontraaaaarte'' is horrifying in a way.
  8. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I occasionally move from one song to another, but here is one I've been playing too much lately.

Cuando Tallan los Recuerdos (When carving the memories)
    by Miguel Calo

9. newbie

newbie Active Member

It changes all the time. At the moment it could be Tomo y obligo, the Geczy rendering. I like its vintage flavour, and the moments when the violin starts to play.
  10. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I share your enthusiasm for Piazzolla's Adios Nonino, but of course, for listening and not dancing. It was written as a musical tribute to his recently deceased father, and while much Piazzolla can be danced to, even though not originally composed or arranged for dancing, this is one of those pieces, which by convention, is usually not danced.

Gardel, I can't stand. It's probably my loss, but I just don't hear in his singing anything that I find attractive or engaging. It doesn't help that his untimely death came just at the start of electrical recording, and the sound quality of much of what we have (and it's quite a lot) is, frankly, dreadful.

Two Piazzolla songs I like very much are his well known Libertango, and Oblivion. Both can be very danceable in the right arrangements, in the right company and usually late at night. Both use the 3:3:2 rhythmic grouping (in very different ways) and they are great tango music, whether you dance to them or not.

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

masochism tango:eek:
    bordertangoman likes this.
  12. UKDancer

Tom Lehrer?
  13. Mr 4 styles

youbetchya!!!!
  14. UKDancer

For the curious:

VU styling, here, methinks.
  15. Mr 4 styles

thanks UK!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

To listen to? One of my favorites is still Estaban Morgado - Morena.

Also, Piazzolla - Oblivion is a favorite.
  17. sixela

sixela Active Member

Fumando espero. Never went out of my since a beautiful live rendition by Dana van Oeteren at Herman Teirlinck for a project.

I'm a non-smoker, but still, I could imagine me shouting "Yes!" at her saying "Dame el humo de tu boca..." (fortunately, my then future wife was at my side).
  18. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

True, but, we can dance our emotions to the music as we hear it, without conventional thoughts and opinions. The deepest experience I have EVER had dancing tango was to this music with my wife. My own father had recently passed away, and co-incidentally, I was reading Piazzola's memoirs at exactly the point where his father died.

I will always push the boundaries of this dance.
    Yogur griego and sixela like this.
  19. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

In my dancing I find the best dances when I and my partner are able to go "over the edge", as I call it. I can only go there when she will go along with me. It's where the map stops and only shows illustrations of dragons.
  20. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

Boris Kovac & LaDaABa Orchest "Tango Apocalypso"