New Vogue in America

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by BlueBambue, Aug 20, 2008.

1. BlueBambue

BlueBambue New Member

My studio has started a new vouge class. They advertise that they are the first such classes in the US. I was wondering what people thought about new vouge having made the jump across the ocean, whether you think it will catch on, etc.

I personally have no opinion on the matter, but thought other people might be interested.

The studio's name is Impulse Ballroom (in Bellevue, WA)
  2. mummsie

mummsie Member

Very interesting. What dances are they teaching? Are the teachers Australian? Would be interesting to see if they are using the correct technique :) - mummsie
  3. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

What exactly is the difference between New Vogue and American?
  4. mummsie

mummsie Member

5. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

This is just the most wonderful news! I’ve always hoped New Vogue would find its way overseas, because it really is the loveliest way to dance, and so very beautiful to watch when done well.
  6. mummsie

mummsie Member

I should also mention that there are 14 different New Vogue competition dances and hundreds that are done socially. They seem to invent a new one every week.

They are broken into styles - Waltz there is the Lucille Waltz, the Tracie Leigh Waltz, The Twilight Waltz and the Swing Waltz
    Tangos - there are 3 - the Tangoette, Tango Terrific and the La Bomba
    Foxtrots - there are 5 - Merrilyn Schotische, Charmaine, Barclay Blues, Carousel and the Excelsior Schotische
    March time - Evening Three Step and Gypsy Tap.

Normally beginners have the Tracie Leigh, Charmaine or Merrilyn and the Evening Three Step or Tangoette. As you move up through the grades the dances become a little more intricate although they do through curly ones at you sometimes. For example in our up and coming South Pacific Championships in our Open event we have the Gypsy Tap which is normally a lower level dance. - mummsie
  7. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

The 14 competition ones are enough – there’s little to no point in learning the rest, since they’re generally not as nice to dance, and rarely worth dancing.

New Vogue does wonders for both ballroom and latin technique, so I recommend all you Americans sign up for the classes. Assuming they teach the correct technique.
  8. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

*Cringe* New Vogue technique reminds me of sore ankle and muscle.

But it sure would be interesting hearing the New Vogue they do over the northern hemisphere. :D
  9. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

P.S I heard that they might include some New Vogue at Blackpool. Maybe not as part of the formal championship but something like a sideshow. :rolleyes:
  10. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Not even close.. 2 very good friends of mine in Phoenix , were teaching it back in the 70/80s(?) They, like me , were from the UK (and it was, and still is called Modern sequence in the UK ) .

Its a hybrid version of Old Time dancing, which is still taught here. There are even world champs held.

Special music in Mod. Seq. is required for each dance, as they are all choro. to 64 bars .
  11. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

It would be a great start if it could be a demonstration event at Blackpool. What starts as a demonstration even could turn into a regular part of competition once other nations cotton on to it.
  12. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Its antecedent, Old Time, has been competing in B/Pool since 1951..
  13. QPO

QPO New Member

This is not true there are plenty of other New Vogue Dances which are just as nice. But for comp purposes I agree there should only be so many. Black Night Tango is a good one as is New Bridge Tango, Alpha Waltz is very popular, Woodside Waltz is very popular. But there are some obscure ones that I just won't touch!

14. QPO

QPO New Member

I hope that it does take off in the US and It would be interesting to know if the teachers are from Australia! Go New Vogue :)
  15. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

New Vogue is fun, I hope it spreads lots throughout America.

Agree with you QPO about the Newbridge, Black (k)night, Alpha, and Woodside.
    Haven't fully learnt the Black (K)night yet, but what I've got so far is fun.
  16. WaltzElf

WaltzElf New Member

Ok, this needs correcting, because I keep seeing you mention this every time New Vogue comes up, and it is incorrect.

New Vogue is not the same as old time or modern sequence. They share similar roots this is true, but the reality is New Vogue is made up of different dances (in championship), requires different technique (there's far less ballet positions and movements used), and is taught differently. There are no world championships for New Vogue style at this stage, and Old Time teachers are quite different to New Vogue teachers in this country.

Essentially what happened was a number of Australians saw Old Time, saw a different direction to take it in, and took it that way. What we have now is New Vogue.

You could be an Old Time or modern sequence champion, come down here and find it very difficult to win our New Vogue championships! From an audience perspective I can promise you, and Old Time competition looks very different to a New Vogue competition.

New Vogue is also not danced in 64 bar choreography. It's in 24 or 32 bar sequences.
  17. BlueBambue

BlueBambue New Member

I don't really have much more information because the classes overlap with something else I have going on. I know at least one of the teachers is not Australian, I have never met the other one.

I shall ask my instructor if he has any more info when I see him on Saturday.
  18. Kitty

Kitty New Member

thanks for the video!!! so much talk about new vogue style here, and i never had any idea of what it looks like

just a few questions about the video:

are these couples competing aggainst each others, or are they teammates. like in a formation?

also, who choreographed all the movements in the routine?
  19. mummsie

mummsie Member

English Old Time is completly different to Australian New Vogue. Some of the patterns are similar but the music and dances are a lot different. I have done English Old Time here in Australia - only have my Oscar (highest) medal left to do. EOT has a lot of ballet foot positions which New Vogue doesn't have. Actually EOT is very hard to do correctly. At the South Pacifics being held in Sydney in four weeks they actually have a couple of EOT events which I am looking forward to watching. I love the Gaynesborough Glide - my personal favourite. :) - mummsie
  20. mummsie

mummsie Member

Hi Killy,

These couples are competing against each other the same as regular competition :) All the steps are as per the New Vogue syllabus - there are 2 technique books which are used. - mummsie :)