New Vogue in America

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by BlueBambue, Aug 20, 2008.

1. QPO

QPO New Member

Is the Pride of Erin and EOT dance?
  2. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

double post...stupid Firefox.
  3. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

My post, she has vanished...

I watched the video--so it's like compulsory dances in ice dance, only everyone's out there at once?

My gut says "boring" but I think I would have to actually DO it to find out if I liked it. It looks a lot like Smooth, honestly, only a little more under control, and a lot less potential for collision since everyone's doing the same thing.
  4. QPO

QPO New Member

Yes I think you have to do it and then judge it. I use to feel the same about American Smooth. You have to try it and see how intricate things are to execute.

5. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

para 1.. so is Mod.seq.. and I did NOT say it was the same as OT.. and different techn? .. how ?.. I,m curious .

para 2.. Mod seq .. here.. are 16 bar Seq, repeated twice for 32 and or 48 bars.. The 64 bar reference , was meant to be total time allocated on most social recordings.
  6. QPO

QPO New Member

I don't know enough about it to express the differences correctly. Its interpretation that challenges such conversations. Its good you are both passionate about your dancing.
  7. BlueBambue

BlueBambue New Member

More info:

Neither of the instructors are Australian, but they are being unoficially helped out by an Australian. The istructors are coming from a backround in international standard, so the technique they are teaching is based on that. This past month they taught the gypsy dance and one other one.

The reason they started teaching new vouge is because they visited Australia in December and were impressed by the mass amounts of people socially dancing the same thing at the same time.
  8. tangotime

I,m always open to learning something new .

had a conversation with the leading Seq. teacher in the UK... she told me that when NV first came out it was virtually the same.. then an OZ couple came and demmed, and at the end of every seq, dance they spliced in a Waltz ?..( it wasnt the Ritchies )

She then went on to say, that changes in format were made ( she was not sure what ) other than that, she had no more info.
  9. mummsie

mummsie Member

Hi Tangotime, I have done both EOT and am currently doing very well in the NV area. The waltzes in the EOT are a lot slower with the old time waltz at the end where the movements are very precise with the ballet foot positions - fifth position rear and then a funnly little swivel and then the closing steps which don't move a lot acros the floor - not sure what they are called because I haven't done it for several years. In the New Vogue are basically 4 bars of viennese ast the end of the sequence so it has much more flow. The tangoes are similar although the only ones I can recall off the top of my head are the Tango Solaire and the Camelia Tango. You can use the same music for the tangos and the saunters (foxtrots) but the waltzes are competely different timing. The marches are also slightly different timing and are much more compact than the NV marches. - mummsie :)
  10. mummsie

mummsie Member

I think this dance is both EOT and NV - there are many slight variations of this dance depending on where you live. There are even differnces between the states on this one. :) - mummsie
  11. hustleNflow

hustleNflow New Member

New Vogue has always been something I have been curious about...if my memory is correct, they feature it on the "Samba to Slow Fox" documentary on the special features of my Strictly Ballroom DVD...granted, it's probably at least a 20-year-old documentary, but it still shows a good sample of New Vogue. The names of the dances themselves are certainly interesting :lol:
  12. tangotime

Thanks... now you have got my curiosity ...VW... . I wonder why
  13. mummsie

mummsie Member

have no idea although a lot of the dances when done socially have old time waltz at the end with a balance step on the first bar. Quite offputting actually. - mummsie
  14. tangotime

It just clicked with me !!!!!!!!..... had to go back many moons in memory... just remembered, there were a couple of OT dances, that ended the normal sequence with 4 bars of VW .( Barn dance was one )

Ya know, I never questioned it until now
  15. QPO

QPO New Member

I had also not thought about it, but a lot of the NV dances, like Lucille , Tracey Leigh, Swing & Twilight Waltz's have a VW style ending. NV has it place in dancing like any other style, it has its difficulties in execution, but in gneral it is such a great way of making people move their way into dancing. Some of the simple dances can be learned in 30 minutes, then comes the practice in making it look great :)
  16. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

That's one of the things I love about NV - I can usually be led through most of them no problems and can get an idea of whether I like it, then I can go to my dance partner and say 'lets learn it!'
    I tend to learn it even faster with him as he almost never forgets dance steps.
  17. kayak

kayak Active Member

How is NV different from the Round Dancing done all over the US and Canada? The video looked about the same.
  18. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

That's my cue (as it were)...

Disclaimer: I round dance, and I do ballroom, but I do not do New Vogue.

But based on the videos I've seen of NV, it has a shorter sequence than most round dances. Also, many round dances are choreographed very specifically to the song in question. Many are mixed rhythm, making use of a wide variety of music that's not strictly of one rhythm or another. Rumbas with a foxtrot break, foxtrots with a jive break.

Tempos vary widely in round dancing. It's not unusual to find waltzes at tempos that would make ballroom dancers look like they're scurrying about the floor.

But round dancing is near and dear to my heart. It was my first exposure to partner dancing, and acted as my gateway drug to ballroom.
  19. QPO

QPO New Member

I have never seen round dancing executed so if I find it on you tube I will comment. :)
  20. tangotime

I had the pleasure(?) of teaching a group of Round dance teachers several yrs back ( in the States ).

They had recd scripts of Gold level Intern. standard that had been placed into a " round " format .

As I recall, they were more interested in " steps " than techn. I did about 2 months work . Like most group activities, the emphasis seemed to be more casual .