New Vogue Music

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancingdragon, May 3, 2004.

1. dancingdragon

dancingdragon New Member

Here's a cry for help going out mostly to my fellow ANZACs, but if anyone else has any suggestions please feel free to make them! Does anyone know of a good website from which to order New Vogue music online? It's really hard to come by since it's really only danced in NZ and Australia. I want to be able to practice my NV at home but it's very difficult without music!

Thanks in advance DFites! :)

2. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

Hey there dancingdragon :D

Which dances in paticular were you after music for?

Evening 3 Step and Barndance can be danced to just about any fast pop Cha Cha music.. , Uptown Girl - Bily Joel, Hey Baby - DJ Otzi etc
    Merrilyn to any slow foxtrot music....

It helps if you know the tempos for the dance music you want eg Merrilyn is 4/4 timing danced at 28-32 bpm, so you can go searching for songs that meet those requirements.

Check out http://www.dancesport.org.au/newvogue
    It has the competition dances listed with all the timing and tempos, then try a few searches on google.

HTH

3. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hey, DancingDragon. Try this this one, but which dances did you want songs for in particular? The great bit about New Vogue is it can be danced to some pretty funky, Top 40 music. Drop me a list of dances. I've got a mental list of fabulous songs (both old and new) to dance to.

4. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

5. dancingdragon

dancingdragon New Member

Thanks guys!

So far I have learnt Evening 3 step, Gypsy Tap, Tracey Leigh Waltz, Merrilyn and we're just starting Parma Waltz. So I guess I'm after marches, waltzes and slow foxtrots. I have to admit I'm a bit of traditionalist, I have tried dancing New Vogue to modern music but just don't enjoy it as much as the Old Time music. :roll: However, if you have some suggestions of music old or new that you think works well MadamSamba, I'd be open to experimenting! 8)

6. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

That just goes to show my ignorance. I thought new vogue music was the same as regular ballroom (modern or Latin) music. It isn't? :?

7. ShyDancer

ShyDancer New Member

I absolutley adore Parma Waltz dancingdragon :D Hope you enjoy learning it.
    I have to ask what you think about Gypsy Tap though, many people I have spoken to really dont like it which suprised me because its one of my favorite dances.

Here is are a couple of websites I came across that deal with New Vogue music
    http://www.superiordancingmusic.com/newreleases.htm#sequence

http://ballroomdancemusic.info/Album/LatinBallroomSequenceFavourites335.htm

You are sort of right. Some dances can be danced to regular ballroom (standard) music. The difference is the BPM.
    The NV Waltzes (Parma, Swing, Tracie Leigh etc) are danced to Viennese Waltz Rhythm...3/4 timing
    Carousel, Charmaine, Merrilyn, Excelsior Schottise are danced to Slow Foxtrot rhythms of 4/4
    Tangoette, La Bomba and Tango Terrific are Tango rhythm.... 2/4 or 4/4
    Then there are the March rhythms.. Evening 3 Step, Gypsy Tap which are 2/4 or 6/8

8. dancingdragon

dancingdragon New Member

I really like it too! I especially like the snappy left-right head movements, I think it's kind of reminiscent of tango even though it's not a tango timing. I am enjoying parma waltz so far even though we just started learning the basic pattern this week and are going to build on it next week. My favourite so far is the Tracey Leigh waltz though.

Thanks for those websites, I'll take a look - now that the boss has left for the day and it's gone all quiet! :twisted:

9. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I'm getting jealous. Maybe I'd better get in on "the plan" and head down under. :wink: :lol:

10. Barry

Barry New Member

Dancingdragon
    I have 6 cd's that suit new vogue dancing I have been playing for new vogue dancers for 36 years and have recorded 6 cd's. go to my website. www.barryscountryvogue.com.au

11. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Heya,

I've also been looking for NV music for ages - haven't been able to find much till I found this thread. Thanks guys!
    Hehe, Gypsy Tap's also one of my favourites! It's so much fun! I love merrilyn too. Evening 3-step I'm finding to be becoming a bit repetitive - but maybe I just haven't found the right music yet...
    One of the ones I'm learning at the moment, and really loving is Swing Waltz...i love the way it flows and the 'swing' in the movements (hence the name, right?)

12. reb

reb Active Member

ThisIsNotMe - we get a few more Australians and DF will be really hopping!

13. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

I know! You know what we need? A thread somewhere for all the Aussie dancers...even though there aren't many of us just yet...

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

"The Antipodean Thread?" :)

15. SwingWaltz

SwingWaltz New Member

Hey guys, I'm a New Vogue lover too. If my user name isn't obvious enough, I don't know what is. Swing Waltz is one of my favourite if not THE favourite, I won my first registered competition doing the Swing Waltz. :)

Evening 3 Step, Barn Dance, Gypsy Tap I like to use good old country music (people smack me for it as I am only 20 years old, I don't even live in the outback). Good for replacing waltzs with scatter chasses. :p

Merrilyn, Charmaine, etc I love a really slow foxtrot, especially Barclay, got to have it slow.

Waltz rhythm, my favourite song is Magic Waltz. Some songs by Enya do the work nicely too. Again if you have a Viennese song, best idea is to slow it down a bit. After all, you are doing a whole lot more than dancing natural and reverse turns.

16. mummsie

mummsie Member

Superior Dancing Music have a great range of New Vogue and other CD's. The couple who run it dance at our studio. He is always importing stuff from England and Europe. His New Vogue stuff is really good :) Mummsie

17. reb

reb Active Member

I suddenly feel like having a beer - anyone?

18. ThisIsNotMe

ThisIsNotMe New Member

Lol, 'The Antipodean Thread' - soiunds brilliant :p
    Hmm...maybe not a beer (hate the stuff)...could go for lamingtons though! :p Care to join me? All are wlecome! :D

19. reb

reb Active Member

That's why we like you so much!!

General note: If you're reading this and feel any nastiness - please take two Aussies and call me in the morning . . .

20. reb

reb Active Member

You're good!

I vaugely remember one of my friends having a world map/poster which showed Australia prominently displayed in the upper right hand corner while Great Britain peeped out from the lower left corner . . .