New Yorkers? Need suggestions!

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by tuftufwang, May 15, 2011.

1. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

Hi! I looked at the older threads regarding proam coaches in NYC and figured that there may be some new people that I can consider? I'm looking for a top professional latin instructor who does proam 'A' in NYC. Can I have a few suggestions please? I know Eugene has a studio in Brooklyn and Andrei Gavriline teaches in NJ but I don't think he does in NYC.

Would prefer someone who is a quarter-finalist at Blackpool and other major European competitions. Thanks so much!
  2. SQ_F05

SQ_F05 New Member

Hi tuftufwang, welcome to Dance-Forums!

Here are some people that I know do pro-am and teach in Manhattan:

-Deylan Terziev, he teaches at Basic Ballroom (on 35th between 8th and 9th). IMO, he can look really really good and he can also look not quite as good. For some reason, he and Boriana seem to do really well at international competitions and not as well at national competitions. Last year he was in the top 10 of the WDC World Championships.

-Werner Figar, he mostly teaches at DanceSport (on 34th between 5th and 6th). He and his old partner were 31st last year at the WDC World Championships. I like his style better now with his new partner. They haven't competed yet, but I think they look really nice together.

-Plamen Danilov, he teaches at Ballroom on Fifth (on 35th between 5th and 6th). He and his partner were 33rd this year at the WDC World Championships. Personally, I am not a fan of his dancing.

Those are the most noticeable pro-am teachers that I can think of at the moment. I don't know how much they charge, but I do know that Werner does teach some group classes at Dancesport which might help you get the most from your money......pro-am is expensive.....

Also, FYI, I don't think Eugene does pro-am.

If you need advice, try a lesson with all three and see who you like the best :)
  3. SQ_F05

SQ_F05 New Member

Sorry, minor correction, Ballroom on Fifth is officially Ballroom off Fifth and it's on 37th, not 35th.
  4. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Of the professional men listed by dancesportinfo in the top 20 in the US, also teaching out of NYC/Westchester is Nikolai Shpakov. He teaches at Basic Ballroom. Jose deCamps also does pro-am Latin, though he currently dances Rhythm.
  5. Benjy

Benjy Member

Andrei Gavriline has in the past done pro-am, as has Paul Richardson and Delyan actively does I know for sure. Gavriline teaches in Brooklyn at Dance Passion (or did) which is on 63rd st and Bay Parkway, and Paul co-owns Basic Ballroom NY on 35th st between 8th and 9th aves, where Delyan also coaches. Basic is in Manhattan
  6. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I don't think Eugen K does proam. That's what I heard from his sister last time, and I never have seen him did.
  7. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

There are a few teachers who were or are at blackpool with good results.

Paul Richardson - semi finalist

Andrew Phillips - quarter finalist (top 24)
    Andrei Gavriline - finalist
    Plamen Danilov - top 48
    Jose deCamps - top 48
    Christian Baerens - top 48 and rising star semi
    Maxim Kozhevnikov - finalist
    Deylan Terziev - quarter finalist
    Bas Van Der Zanden - quarter finalist, but not sure if he still teaches in New York

As long as I know, they all do or did proam competitions.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  8. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

Wow, thanks so much for the suggestions! This really helps!
  9. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

Yes, Andrew Phillips does lots of pro-am... his pro-am ladies all adore him. He used to coach me when I did latin (not pro-am though).
  10. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

HI everyone, thanks much to those who have replied to my questions. I now have a better idea of where I will be in NYC - Midtown. I'm sort of re-asking my questions in case anyone knows of a new Latin coach in town or advice on which studio I can go to that won't be too far to travel.

Eugene's studio in Brooklyn will hard to get to on a regular basis since I will be working full time. Any other suggestions?
  11. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

The studio that most of latin teachers and coaches teach is Basic ballroom.
    Eugene and Maria used to teach at the studio before they open their own. Also, they have visiting coaches over there as well. Also, Alan and Vibeke teach over there. One of the owners of the studio is Paul Richardson and his wife, Olga. But, the studio is kind of small and sometimes it is very crowded.

http://www.basicballroomny.com/
  12. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

In terms of instructors already mentioned, Plamen and Delyan teach at Ballroom Off Fifth, Andrew teaches at Manhattan Ballroom Dance (and I think maybe Basic Ballroom too but not sure). I have also seen Plamen sporadically at Manhattan.
  13. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Delyan also teaches out of Basic Ballroom.
  14. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Sorry, Benjy, just noticed you've already said that!
  15. tuftufwang

tuftufwang Member

This is excellent! I was just wondering where Alan and Vibeke teaches! Thank you so much for reading my mind!!