Not cool BBC!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by SDsalsaguy, Sep 30, 2012.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Ok, so the good news is that Iveta Lukousiute is going to be on Strictly Come Dancing for up to four weeks, starting Oct 5, 2012, and here's the article announcing it. Here's the bad news: images #1 & #3 in that article are my images (heck, I even have a signed model release), and yet somehow the BBC has seen fit to mark them with their copyright notice! From what little I've found out so far, US copyright law doesn't apply to the UK, so the only actionable items would be use and profit here in the US.

Seriously though, Iveta's a friend and I'm happy to let her use the images. What I'm ticked at is that the BBC is making use of them without (a) the basic courtesy of giving me credit as the photographer, and (b) claiming my work as their own. Not cool BBC, not cool at all. :(
    Larinda McRaven likes this.
  2. SDsalsaguy

Just emailed the editorial account for MailOnline to let them know about the attribution of my image to the BBC's copyright... guess I'll keep my fingers crossed (and at least it will be interesting to see how they respond).
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Best wishes for a good outcome. It shouldn't bother them to at least give you photo credit -- but I've often felt that the British press is more like the Wild West than the American press; they get away with stuff we'd never do, but then, they also have more slander/libel lawsuits than we do.

And on a completely different note, the new software capitalized Wild West for me. I have mixed feelings.
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Not cool at all, SD. I hope you have a good outcome, as well. From what I hear, enforcing copyright internationally can be quite tricky. I don't know if copyrights automatically apply outside the country in which they are acquired. I know that patents don't. Here's hoping that the BBC folks will do the right thing of their own accord. You deserve credit and visibility for your work.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

they do not...though there are some international governing bodies that may offer some relief....best approach is a friendly request
  6. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Ouch! Not cool! I hope that BBC does the right thing. If they do not seem to be cooperating making it news in the US and elsewhere with the subsequent publicity might get them to change their mind...
  7. SDsalsaguy

Talked to Iveta last night and she's going to let them know that the image should be credited to me. She's actually in the air flying over right now, so for the moment I'll wait and seen what comes of that (if anything).
    Sagitta likes this.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think that is a wise approach
  9. SDsalsaguy

Happy to report that I just got an email back from the editorial manger of MailOnline and the images are now appropriately credited. :)
  10. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

11. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Very cool. :) Gotta say, though. TTIUWP. *grin*
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps BBC thought Iveta owned the images, since they clearly didn't get them from you. Was there any identifying information in the files you gave her?
  13. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

It is great that the images are properly attributed. Congrats!
  14. SDsalsaguy

Yes they got the images from Iveta, but she gave the a lot to choose from (not only mine). They could have asked her about these specific images once they chose them, and, even more so, my (c) is embedded in the images' metadata. That said, its all sorted out now.
  15. SDsalsaguy

Now I'm getting pissed off! :mad:

Two more articles using my images:

From Huffington Post, again credited to BBC.

And, in the most absurd one yet, from The Sun, with no credit... but when you mouse over the image it says "Copyright 2012 News Group Newspapers Ltd and/or its licensors. No use without permission." Sorry, but that is utter and complete B$!
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Go get 'em!
  17. SDsalsaguy

To their credit, the Huffington Post people responded almost immediately after I submitted a correction using the button at the bottom of the article. Unfortunately the person contacting me claims that the change can't be made until the morning, but I appreciate her responsiveness. Note to others - using the correction button got me a very fast response, whereas the email I'd sent first has not. Lesson? Use the correction button if/when available!
  18. SDsalsaguy

Complaints now lodged with the Press Complaints Commission in the UK regarding The Sun (where copyright is claimed by News Group Newspapers Ltd). Also lodged a general complaint via the BBC website about distribution of the images to news sources without due credit.
  19. frotes

frotes Member

I hope it works out the way the previous ones have. You deserve the credit!
  20. SDsalsaguy

Thanks frotes. There's a real difference between the first two articles the one in The Sun. I get that the BBC was trying to put together a press package for Iveta on the fly, as she was an 11th hour fill in, but once they chose which images to use they should have asked her who to credit. That's then on the BBC that they sent out the image sans credit, and the presses trying to do the right thing marked (c) BBC. In the case of the article in The Sun, however, News Group Newspapers Ltd is actually claiming the (c). Since they have to know they weren't the photographers, that outright lie seems like an extreme violation of journalistic ethics.

Also, just in case anyone was wondering, I have CCd Iveta wherever possible, and also let he know via email and FB, that (a) aside from informing the BBC people she does not need to be distracted by this, and (b) I am just keeping her in the loop so she does not get surprised if it comes up at any point.