NYC salsa dancing ON 1?!

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by Chamorita, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Chamorita

Chamorita New Member

Hi all,

I am going to New York Mar. 27 - Apr. 1 to see some friends and what I'm wondering is -- is there ANY place where people go and dance on 1? I know New York is basically on 2 (and I love the attitude toward it there - during my 4-hour workshop with Rodney Lopez that I took in January, people were dancing on 1 and he said, "That's not... wrong... but that's not what we DO here." *knowing laughter*). But since I'm just going for the weekend I'd really like to find a place that has a majority of on 1 dancers so I can just enjoy myself for a night rather than be shunned in a crowd of on 2 dancers.

Because on a 1-10 scale, my proficiency at on 1 dancing is about a 7, and my proficiency at on 2 dancing is about a... well, 2.

Anyone?

Thanks!

Amy (I'm new to the forums -- I've been dancing salsa just since the beginning of January, but I go out (and take lessons) about 4-5 times a week, and am already on a Denver-based dance performance team. Hello to all!)

2. pr

pr New Member

Welcome! :D

3. tj

tj New Member

Welcome to DF, Amy. While I have no idea, there are about 3-5 NYC salser@s who frequent the forums, so hopefully one of them will chime in.

There's also our sister forum, www.salsaforums.com, and you might want to try there as well.

4. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

Wow thats a tuff one,usally the on 1 dancers are in new jersey or philly area as far as the east coast. I go to new york about once a month to dance (but not all salsa) But i have been to a all salsa night there at a rocking place 3 years ago and danced on 1 & did not have any bad dances with the girls i asked , they just followed, but i also was with a female friend and we dance a lot. theres a place called the 412 club on 8th between 31st & 32, at 412 8th ave,lori brizzi"s 3 room dance night has a salsa room& I dance salsa on 1 there, sometimes on 2, the level of dancers seem to be about5-7 from your scale, the other 2 rooms are hustle/ballroom for the same price, i think they have all salsa night there but look for the website and the schedule(i dont know it) Im mainly a on 1 dancer. Im sure the new yorkers can help better.

5. noobster

noobster New Member

My NYC cred is about nine months out of date by now but I still visit home and keep up with my salsa buddies there so the following advice should be solid.

Yeah, Club 412 is mostly an on1 place but I think Frankie Martinez has his social there now so that night is definitely on2. Usually the on1 happens in the salsa room of the mixed-dances night (weekends often). According to their website there is a 'swing 'n salsa' night on Sat March 28th and if past experience is any guide the salsa part should be mostly an on1 scene.

http://www.youshouldbedancing.net/schedules/March412.pdf

There are also lots of on1 dancers at the more 'clubby clubs' like Latin Quarter (Wed). I heard Columbus 72 (Tue) now draws an on1 crowd as well, though I haven't been to that night.

In general weekends are a better time to find on1 dancers, as the on2 dancers have a lot of weeknight venues. Unfortunately you're also going to find a lot more 'latin-mix' places and a lot less pura salsa. You could try Gonzalez y Gonzalez for mostly-salsa but there is almost no room to dance there. Most of the studio-based socials other than 412 are going to be on2.

Funny. I can exactly picture that guy saying that.

6. DCR

DCR Member

I dance on ALL timing..so if you happen to see me lets dance. [​IMG]

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

8. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Ditto on Latin Quarter (Weds nights) and Columbus 72 (Tues nights) for having alot of ON-1/old skool dancers.

9. yippee1999

yippee1999 Member

Also, while I've never been, the Burgos Cultural Center (in Spanish Harlem), also on Weds nights, apparently has alot of ON-1 dancers....

Uptown Salsa Wednesdays @ Julia De Burgos Cultural Center - Doors open 5:30 PM. Usually live band plus DJ Brian or DJ Ron McGugins spinning old school salsa. Mainly a Latino mature On 1 crowd but there are a few On 2 dancers there. If you to be sure to dance On 2, bring a partner or group. The place gets very crowded and hot so come prepared. No jeans or sneakers. 1680 Lexington Avenue (between 105th & 106th Streets), Spanish Harlem, uptown Manhattan. How to get there: Number 6 train to 103rd Street Station. For further information: 212-831-4333. And to see their flyer with the names of the bands playing each week, click on www.TallerBoricua.com .

Update...Oops...just realized that based on your travel dates, looks like you'll be here Thursday through possibly Tuesday. A place for Friday's is below. I've never been to this dance, but since it's in Harlem, that attracts more ON-1/old school dancers. Also, I do know one person that goes to this dance, and he is an old school/ON-1 guy...

Windows Over Harlem - Friday Night Afterwork Salsa Party - Fridays from 6:00 PM - 12:00 midnight. With DJs Jeff and Rene playing lots of classic salsa, cha cha and a bit of other Latin music. Mature crowd, buffet. No jeans, boots or sneakers please. Security: photo ID required. Held at Adam Clayton Powell Jr. State Office Building, 163 West 125th Street, Harlem, uptown Manhattan, NYC. Phone 646-468-0787. Fax 212-665-2254. Email: woh163125@gmail.com . Web site www.woh163125.com .

10. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

Looks like the salsa room is now mixed with swing on friday nights now,at the 412 instead of lori"s sat nights, happy dancing....and i learned a few places maybe i could go to from this thread....

11. GayleR

GayleR New Member

I just returned from a few days in NY. Thanks to Yipee1999 for all the great info she provided before I left. My time was limited and I was on my own so I went to the Jimmy Anton social on Sunday. I am an On1 dancer (like you maybe a 7) but I have been dancing On2 for about a year so I thought what the heck. I wore a t-shirt that says "On1, On2...Whatever". It seemed to get a lot of attention early in the evening and I danced alot, but only On2. No one there danced On1 and it was a big crowd. I had no problem at all and I had a pretty good time. As it got later, the hot shots took over and I felt fairly inept. But for the couple of hours I was there, I remembered the words of my grandfather who always told me to adapt to the place I was in by doing what they do. I didn't do great, but not terribly either and most importantly I had a good time.

So go; try it. You'll be fine and maybe you'll have a good time!

12. noobster

noobster New Member

For someone who had been dancing on2 for a year (or even a few months) I think Jimmy's should be fine and a lot of fun, but for someone like the OP who has never danced on2 at all, I think it could be a little hard to take.

You can't really expect to find on1 dancers there. A lot of guys do not know on1 at all, and although technically someone who is 'really' following should be able to follow on any count, if you have only ever danced on1 I would imagine it could be really difficult to dive right into a place like Jimmy's for your first attempt on2.

13. Salcero

Salcero Member

That's kinda like going to Thailand and eating at Dominos Pizza. Good luck!!

14. Chamorita

Chamorita New Member

Not quite. It's more like going to Thailand and trying to find some amazing Spanish cuisine. Dominos is not a good comparison.

On 1 isn't a cheap, chain version of salsa... it is equally as beautiful as on 2. I have danced both, and because I currently live in Colorado, I dance on 1 (and know it much better).

To everyone else -- thank you so much for all your help. I will definitely try and check out 412 or Columbus 72 or Gonzalez y Gonzalez while I'm there. I'm very appreciative. And I might even go to that Jimmy Anton social anyway, because how could I not go and claim to be a true salsera? :)

15. WebMama

WebMama New Member

I am kind of late, but, if you check this while in NYC check out SOBs (www.sobs.com). I have been there and they feature a lot of Cuban music so you'll def find people there dancing on1. They have a calendar with their events.

You can also go to here: http://www.saocodc.com/worldrueda.cfm
    Scroll down to New York City and there are contacts on there for dancing. They will know where to go. Sorry I'm so late!

16. Salcero

Salcero Member

Didn't mean it is cheap cause Dominos cost more in Thailand than what the locals eat :)

17. noobster

noobster New Member

Salcero is right in that on1 dancing in NYC isn't so much different from on1 dancing anywhere else. It depends on the venue of course, but e.g. if you go to Club 412 on an on1 night you won't find anything that looks much different from the salsa you could find in any major US city.

It's the on2 venues that give NYC its salsa rep.

Somebody from the other board visited NYC a while ago, went to the Copa (it was still open on 34th street then), and then posted that she didn't see what the big deal about NYC salsa was. That is probably the reaction you will have too if you don't go to the on2 venues. If you want to see what everyone is talking about, I recommend Cache, Link (though I understand Link is closing its salsa night - if it's still running yet you should go, or find out where Marlon is moving the night and go there), or Jimmy Anton's.

Aside for the NYCers: I heard the Marlon/David night is supposed to be moving somewhere else - anyone know where, or is it shutting down for real?

18. dancin/dj

dancin/dj Member

Interesting noobster the comment on someone going to New York and dind"t see the big deal about New York salsa, i would have to agree with that as far as salsa goes, havin seen Miami style, La style,eric freedman style in colorado,Cuban direct from cuba & New York, i dont see any Edge or better than in any way shape or form, im not dissing it per say & there are some great dancers from there, but in one sense the have not moved on, like other styles.