Ballroom Dance > O2cm banned from NDCA events?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by dancelvr, Jul 28, 2014.

1. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I just checked the COMPMNGR site, and the only file export info I can find is PDF and RTF (Rich Text Format). In other words, just standard text, not any kind of XML, database file, etc.

2. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I'm asking about official statements, documentation, explanation, etc. The speculation is very probably true, but it's just speculation as far as I've seen.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  3. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

Are the NDCA statements barring their registered judges from judging at USAD NQE's not official enough? The anti-o2cm bit on the NDCA's part might have nothing to do with the NDCA/USAD animosity, and might just be more NDCA posturing to further solidify their monopoly position in pro/am competitions (since presumably compmngr has paid some sort of fee to be the sole provider of sub-par competition management software for NDCA competitions).

4. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

I mean on the topic of o2cm. I'm not entirely sure why several people here are reading "does anyone have official info about NDCA's o2cm ruling?" as "obviously there is absolutely nothing going on here and the NDCA is a choir of angels and politics don't exist"........

I'm actually quite in agreement with most people over some of the BS NDCA has been pulling, I just want to (gasp) be informed. Shocking, I know.

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

To be fair, USA Dance has a rule requiring O2CM-only use for NQEs (non-NQE comps are not required to use it). Presumably that's for ease of use for qualification purposes--it's easier to tell who's qualified when you can just write a database search function, rather than the schitty COMPNGR results-lookup function.

dbk likes this.
  6. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

So let me ask a question, and I'm not asking to be sarcastic... I'm asking because I don't know. Our previous studio owner maintained an old Windows XP machine that she used solely for COMPMGR, because she said no newer version was available. Is this true?

7. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

I doubt it - I know the local University club ran compmgr on their laptops at our recent competition. None of them are old enough to own Windows XP machines :)

Loki likes this.
  8. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Lol! Ancient technology...

9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

What did your studio owner use it for?

10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

Probably to schedule pebbles and bam bam as a preteen couple in a comp :cool::rolleyes:;)

Borazine and dancelvr like this.
  11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

A local comp, unsanctioned. It was used to work out the heat lists (make sure no one was double-booked in a heat), and to generate the program for printing.

12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Manhattan's heat lists show all the couples in a heat. I've never seen that before. Maybe compmgr is stepping up its game.

nate and Larinda McRaven like this.
  13. rels77

rels77 Active Member

Vegas Open showed us the heats ahead of time as well. And we got to see scores right away. The dancecomp.org app (that pulls info from compmgr I think) does it as well.

I wonder if those things were always available, but organizers in the past have chosen not to show them.

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Remember most organizers are dancers, retired dancers that never had access to the things you all are expecting. So to them, this stuff sounds trivial.

Compmngr hasn't changed... but organizers finally are starting to realize that these things are not only important but in this day and age expected. Websites are getting better too... more and more organizers are ditching the ugly accessdance templates and upgrading. More and more, slowly, are embracing the idea that the internet matters.

3wishes, j_alexandra and SwayWithMe like this.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So, what you're saying is...competition is a good thing.

Apparently it has (see above).

You'd think they'd have figured this out--you see them on their phones all the time between judging assignments! Just as long as they stay away from Flash, and keep those godawful auto-loading media players off the sites. The MDC site hits about the limit of "stylish" without venturing into turnoff territory.

16. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Plus eleventeebillion.

j_alexandra likes this.
  17. Larinda McRaven

Hey at least we aren't bombarded with video and music immediately as we scramble to find the mute button anymore. Nothing worse than a website that hijacks your ears and forces you to watch videos when all you really want is to see the schedule so you know what time you dance.

If I really want to watch dance videos I would just go to YouTube.

jiwinco, middy, mindputtee and 7 others like this.
  18. Dancing Irishman

Dancing Irishman Well-Known Member

"We're less obnoxious and customer-hostile*!" - Worst. Marketing. Slogan. Ever.

*My best guess at the antithesis of customer-friendly.

19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You mean like the Embassy Ball website? ;)

SwayWithMe likes this.
  20. Larinda McRaven

Haven't attended Embassy since 1999 so I wouldn't know.