Office Dynamic Dilemmas

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Jan 12, 2013.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Not a hijack. This thread is about work-related annoyances and questions. :)

I don't know how to do that and (of course) now I have to get my tush out of here and off to work. I'll see if I can figure it out. The f1 key will usually pull up something. The problem is that it's often an hour tutorial. Who has time to sit through an hour tutorial?

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Is there a Universal law that says says computer software updates never make anything easier when it can be made more complicated, and if not can we name it after Peaches?

3. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Sounds like all of the above to me. :)

What's for sure is that she is being rude in a way that you define it, but you could very well be rude in the way she defines rudeness. What would take the drama out of it all is to honor that she may have another way of looking at it, even if it's just miscommunication between you, and just let her know how much you enjoy sharing your leftover potluck contributions with others who may appreciate it -- that in fact you tend to prepare extra just for that purpose. No avoidance or sneaky strategems needed.

This convo is reminding me of one place I worked where someone was regularly taking Good Stuff of mine from the fridge, and I didn't know who it was so I couldn't set them straight.

Stuck my stuff in a bag or bottle labeled "breast milk" and that was the end of that. <<insert missing :tongue: emoton here>> :)

4. pygmalion

That is hilarious!!

samina likes this.
  5. pygmalion

Here's what I found. Something to do with autocorrect. I haven't had a chance to read through it yet, but it looks like this is what you need -- a way to create a short keyword that will automatically fill in the text you want.

http://www.hmtweb.com/blog/2012/02/how-to-use-autocorrect-microsoft-word.html

6. pygmalion

Just FTR, there was no drama between me and Ms. Nibbles either time around. I take note of the behavior, yes, but I don't do workplace drama, except as a last resort.

The first time around, the single Mom whose food was being stolen corrected Ms.Nibbles. This time around, my leftovers were already at home when Ms. Nibbles staked her claim. In neither case did I have to say anything, and in neither case did Ms. Nibbles apologize for anything. (Although she apparently got the clue that not everything is up for grabs.)

My deal is that I like doing these potlucks and I want to take preemptive measures, because I see that this is likely going somewhere that will make make me uncomfortable. If I don't respect my boundaries, nobody will.

7. bordertangoman

and I have found the solution to my word shortcut for Word..if anyone wants to know its $5 to find out...;)

8. pygmalion

Did the blogger guy above help, or should I not even bother reading through his tutorial?

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I get that there's been no drama on the surface between you. I meant your own personal emotion around it. There's quite a bit of energy around this for you, even if it isn't coming out in a confrontation.

quote] If I don't respect my boundaries, nobody will.[/quote]
    I quite agree. :)

fascination likes this.
  10. bordertangoman

I arrived at the same solution..finding Autocorrect itself is far harder than it used to be...

but the process itself is quite simple..you just create a rule eg

when I type 'WR' autocorrect gives me 'the White Rabbit'

mac help does at least show you where a specific command is to be found..

button/options and a whole bunch of tools and settings that should be accessible via the main toolbar...

one step forward and two steps back...I symapthise with poor PAs who have to get to grips with these unnecessary changes....

11. pygmalion

Amen. There are so many things that were easily accessible in the previous version of Word that I had to relearn because they are now embedded in some incomprehensible place. What a pain!

bordertangoman likes this.
  12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

right...and, precisely because those boundaries are not universal and not apparent to the woman, I am sure she has no idea that she has caused that much consternation...I am sure she hasn't spent any time thinking about how deserving she is, compared to others, of leftovers...and if she has seen them be readily available to others, she may not have any idea at all as to why there would be a selectiveness about that...and truly, not everyone who would provide a potluck would have that selectiveness...so yes, I think the wisest conclusion can only be to either; 1) be clearer, 2) arrange things that make the scenario impossible in the future, or 3) be less selective and help the targeted friend(s) in other ways

samina likes this.
  13. pygmalion

Yup. I've decided to go with #2. :)

14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

I had the entire office "kitchen" with two massive fridges directly across from my work office.
    Everyone labeled their "food" or items or banquet or event trays. Much like you've discussed, although we
    had the "i didn't do it person" who-ever that was - taking the food, eating the food, so on and so forth.
    Not even leaving a note or a question.
    Some of us, got the little portable fridges and put them into our office space under our desks or so far inside
    the office space that you would KNOW someone was in your office.
    And, eventually, we made it impossible for the "I didn't do it" person - to actually - not do it anymore. LOL.

15. pygmalion

Since we seem to be on fridge etiquette for the moment, any particular preferences around who cleans out communal fridges? Back when we had a little fridge in the office, it was on an honor system. Everybody who used that fridge would take turns cleaning it out periodically.

With the big fridge, since everybody "owns" it, nobody takes ownership. It got so disgusting that now management pays a housekeeping company to clean it out and throw everything away the last Friday of every month.

16. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

We have four fridges here at work, in two different pantries. Two are cleaned out regularly; we all get notices that it's about to happen. Things have got to be tossed, or labeled, and unexpired or it gets tossed. I dont know who has taken ownership of this, but i prefer this system. The other fridges (that I use) are not cleaned out regularly, and it's disgusting. I have, along with someone else, cleaned them out several times when they've become unbearable. And I don't bother warning people. If stuff is perishable and it has perished, it gets trashed. Period. If its in a good container I'll keep it, but put a note on the fridge. I've run across stuff in freezers that expired several presidential terms, and I'm not asking anyone about that. Period. I've run across science experiments and things that were halfway to sentience. I'm not asking about that either.

17. pygmalion

Sentience? Oh! You crack me up!

I prefer your method, to be honest. The method of tossing everything on the last Friday of the month is good because it's predictable, but the folks who do the cleaning apply ZERO judgment to the process. If it's in the fridge at cleaning time, it gets trashed, period, even if it's still in date, obviously fresh, in a nice Tupperware container, etc. I can't help but wonder if the cleaning staff scores some nice stuff, from time to time. It got so irritating that one lady in my department set up a calendar reminder in Outlook, so that everybody gets a remider email on the last Friday of the month, a couple hours before it's time to go home.

And don't even get me started on foul communal fridges. Back when there was a little apartment sized fridge inside the room where my department lives, I absolutely refused to use it. It was so far beyond disgusting, honor system notwithstanding. Blech. There's no way I'd eat food that had been in there any length of time. *shudder*

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

At my place of work, it's Housekeeping that does this -- the same group that stock the fridge with cream for coffe. A sign is up requesting removal of one's things on Fridays because they clean it every week. A weekly clean keeps the fridge from ever becoming a science experiment.

Housekeeping appears to respect fresh, labeled items, which remain as long as they aren't becoming a liability to the public good. :)

19. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Pyg, you have me reflecting on my own workplace and realizing that things there run quite smoothly, in the kitchen as well as elsewhere. But there was an instance where I was concerned things could change...

Last year, my department relocated from a building where we all had lovely private offices to a location where only the most senior employees have offices -- the rest of the company are all located in khuubes. So we all had some adjustments to make from an environment that gave us protection from each other's idiosyncracies and noise, to one where we are quite intimately aware of each others' goings-on.

To preempt certain dramas, I sent out an email to my team with some "guidelines" I thought could help make the transition smooth, and I also sent it to colleagues at my own level, who in turn ended up forwarding it to their teams. Aside from one brief wrinkle where I started receiving emails from my horrified staff when another manager held a meeting on speakerphone in his adjacent cube :rolleyes:... we haven't had one issue. I was glad at the time that I'd sent that email before the move -- made it easy to nip those speakerphone meetings in the bud, as they were one of the things I had cautioned my team not to do. Some people lack the sort of common sense or social awareness that would naturally restrict those noisy affairs...:)

Another thing I requested is that people not bring strong-smelling foods (e.g., egg sandwiches, fried foods, curry dishes) into the work area. Some people :cough:self: are very sensitive to these smells, and I'm most grateful that no one has ever breeched that request.

EXCEPT...there is an associate director from another area who has twice brought his stinky egg-sandwiches-and-bacon into lengthy closed-room meetings, in each case, sitting right next to or near me. :gag:

Due to the nature of the meetings, it was never appropriate to ask him (or his sandwich) to leave. But that is the sort of thing I'd have to take action on if it became a habit. Thankfully, I rarely see this guy...

The only other thing I had to do for some peace was to temporarily put up a "do not disturb" sign to increase sensitivity to the fact that, though I'm "right there", I'm not necessarily available to chat for every little thing.

Aside from that...no office dynamic dilemmas, thank goodness. The worst, of course, is when you have a contentious relationship with your boss. Definitely the worst. <<Thanking lucky stars...>>

20. pygmalion

Amen to this. I don't have this issue at the moment, thank goodness, but I had a momumentally bad relationship with a boss once, bad enough to shape me forever. One of these days when I have time, I'll post a bit about it for the benefit of the group.

And yes. I think that a lot of these interaction wrinkles can be avoided with a little advance planning. If others are like me, though, blind spots can be a problem. I tend to assume that the way I see things is the way things are. Not necessarily, as I'm learning much to my chagrin. Hence this thread. *grin*

A fine example (Sorry. It's also pot luck related. I do a lot of potlucks. lol) was the time I and several other folks got steaming mad when we planned to have nachos for lunch. A young guy in our group said he'd buy and make the queso. I assumed that, since most people eat lunch between 11:30 and 12:30, he would automatically know to have the queso ready by 11:30. Uhhh. Not so much. He went to lunch and got back, planning to START making queso at a few minutes after noon. This would make the queso ready at right around the time everybody would be finished with lunch and wouldn't need queso anymore.

Boy was I steamed! But I could have avoided the whole rigamarole by explicitly stating in advance when lunch would be served and when its components were needed.

Eh. Live and learn. *shrug*

samina likes this.