Office Dynamic Dilemmas

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by pygmalion, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think her real question is "What do you think about putting large lunch bags and/or cooler chests [which take up a lot of space so other people can't fit their food in] in a shared fridge?"

2. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

This is generally what I do. All my food's with me, and there's no danger of anyone going anywhere near it.

Several people put their lunch bags in the refrigerator at work. It seems to work out ok for them, as long as there's room for everyone's stuff.

When the refrigerator needs cleaning, someone posts a sign that everything will be thrown out that day, unless otherwise marked.

3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

1) "You know how they say if you want something done right you have to do it yourself?"
    2) "Wouldn't you rather just go ahead and do my job for me?"

4. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

A couple of my co-workers make popcorn for a snack or lunch. Once in a while one of them burns it. The resulting smell goes through the whole office, and it's pretty bad. Once it was so bad the manager said something to the staff about being more careful not to burn popcorn.

5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Insubordination or disrespect, especially the second. Comments like those, while fun to think about, in practicality won't help the situation.

6. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

NOOOOOoooooooooooooo!

read this first!
    From Chapter 6, page 106:
    Human digestive enzymes do not target inulin. Around 89% of the inulin and fructooligosaccharides that we consume, on average, remain intact in the small intestine. As it is not digested, there tends to be a lot of it in the large intestine after eating a meal rich in inulin. However, none reaches the stools, and only a small fraction occurs in the urine. This is because inulin is completely fermented by the microbial fauna in the large intestine, especially by bifidobacteria and lactobacilli. The digestion is accompanied by the production of hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and other gaseous products. This leads to an undesirable side-effect of eating Jerusalem artichoke and other inulin-rich food: flatulence.
    The wind-inducing effects of Jerusalem artichoke have been known for many years. Although the tuber spread rapidly throughout France in the ten years after its introduction in 1607, it was not universally popular due to over-indulgence of the unfamiliar vegetable revealing its digestive downsides. Jean-Luc Hennig, in Le Topinambour et Autres Merveilles, writes of the less than complimentary nicknames the street sellers gave the tubers…. Meanwhile, in England….John Goodyer’s entry for Jerusalem artichoke in the 1633 edition of Gerard’s Herball concluded: In my judgement, which way soever they be dressed and eaten, they stir up and cause a filthie loathsome stinking wind within the body, thereby causing the belly to be much pained and tormented, and are a meat more fit for swine than man; yet some say they have usually eaten them, and have found no such windy quality in them”.

7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

True. That was the question BUT Larinda makes an excellent point. I have often thought, "What the heck, dude! Your cooler isn't doing anything for your food that a couple packs of blue ice wouldn't! Why not keep your food with you and leave the fridge for the folks who actually benefit from the cool air? All your cooler is doing is taking up space other people could use."

I didn't understand some of the other issues until P mentioned them Yes. People have cooties. Do I want cootie people touching my food? Maybe not.

What most people where I work now do is bring multi-component lunches in a plastic grocery shopping bag. It keeps the components together and allows for more squishability, so more stuff can fit in the fridge. (Doesn't address The Cootie Issue though. *grin*)

Back when I worked as a temp in a factory (years ago, now) EVERYONE brought one of those man-sized, hard sided coolers and proceeded to take up all the fridge space. VERY annoying.

8. bordertangoman

Firstly dig that NVC book out of the drawer and re-read it (Non_violent Communication)your needs are? : autonomy, trust,
    hers: communication, oversight, feedback, progress reports

As an alternative to what she's doing above; put your proposal forward:
    say; "this is how i would normally undertake this;" give her as much detail as possible...think Pate de Fois Gras Managére..

9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

What, exactly, is a cootie? ;)

10. samina

samina Well-Known Member

And it's surely in no danger of spoilage within a few hours. I have to insulate myself against the cold of the AC or the winter chill, I don't think my food is going to suffer... I don't even use a cooler, but if someone does, what would they need a fridge for, anyway? Unless it's for something to be used over the long haul, as in Pyg's regimen...

I used to keep some organic milk in there, to make cappos as I have an espresso machine at my desk and a soundless magnetic milk heater-frother, but I gave that up. One more thing to transport...

11. bordertangoman

What, exactly, is a cootie? in the UK we have coots, which are water fowl.

12. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Find a new boss... ;)

Actually, she might calm down after you build fresh credibility with her. She's no doubt concerned about being responsible and demonstrating her own capability. If you demonstrate to her that she can trust you and rely on you, she may be greatly relieved and give you the space you need to do your work.

Let her know you enjoy doing what you can to support her, but that you do excel in an environment that gives you room to move & deliver without tight management.

13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I wonder, are you sure she won't loosen up?...could it be that right now she is simply being an over vigilant PITA b/c she is lobbying for the position and that, once she would be in position for long enough to stop being really insecure about being new at it, that she might simmer down?....if not, I imagine that I would first try explaining to her what has worked so well for you, management wise, and how that actually frees her up to tend to things that truly need her attention...carefully making sure that I had also presented that in writing for her as well...so that, if that meeting didn't yield a successful outcome (or worse, created more trouble), I could take my evidence of such to higher authority

14. bordertangoman

trust in me,
    just in me,
    close your eyes and trust in me
    you can sleep...safe and sound
    knowing I am around...;)

15. pygmalion

Google definition: A children's term for an imaginary germ quality transmitted by obnoxious or slovenly people.

AKA: Something to be avoided at all costs, if you want any chance at being voted most popular ... in primary school. :p And the corporate world is nothing if not a macrocosm of primary school, if you ask me.

16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

this is a phase bosses go through they have to prove they are "better" than thier replacement they quickly tire of the excessive work and will realize you are already doing it right

trust me im a boss and i went through this when i first joined my practice

17. fascination

well...she may have known this lady for a long time and know that she is irredeemably anal...but I am hoping that is not the case....if it is the case, no amount of talking will help....hello transfer time

18. pygmalion

The boss I have now went through that for a bit, as well. He got over it eventually, when all of his employees flooded him with more work than he could possibly keep up with. *grin*

Of course, I do know more than a few managers (either from personal experience or reputation) who are micromanagers by nature and unlikely to ever change.

19. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

and now you have a plan...​

20. fascination

we had an office manager who would ****** at us for having too much bric a brac on our desks.... little personal items that made being there more tolerable, and mementos from our patients, etc....also not alllowed to have anything that was on the top shelf of our bookshelves...bear in mind, that our offices were almost never frequented by clients and we were all professionals....my funny Irish Chaplain friend just could not abide that and became a pack rat just to drive her nuts.....eventually the woman just snapped and disappeared...oh well