Official Ballroom Song ID Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

Can anybody tell me what is this song?

youtube: watch?v=8duoQyAcT2M

Thanks!!!

2. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

I found it with the midomi app:

Denise Rivera - Si no hubiera más días

Thanks.

3. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

Can anybody tell me what is this song?

youtube: watch?v=B5SNxRKzPow

Thanks.

4. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

Does anybody know what is the title of this song?

youtube: watch?v=nzrULvF4hf0

Thanks.

5. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

youtube: watch?v=B5SNxRKzPow

Thanks.

6. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

Here:
    Passion4Dancing / Online Dance Lessons / Cha Cha
    Open Break & Underarm Turn Cha Cha Lesson

Thanks.

7. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

That is to my ears (and I totally recognize that Im a music snob when it comes to swing in particular) horrible muzak that probably doesn't even have a name. It feels like a part of a bundle of audio bought to be free of copyright issues when doing those types of instruction videos.

Note I did type in the url on my phone to get to it and didn't watch the whole clip so I'm assuming you're asking about the music right at the start. I can check out the whole clip when I get home.

The type of swing demonstrated in that video is also not what I do (Im very much a lindy hopper) so that's probably a part of it too. Anyway good luck chasing it down or finding something similar.

I can also help suggest actual swing music of a certain bpm/feel etc if you need help finding music.

Here's a tune that's a tiny bit faster but also has a really chilled out mood and it's one I love dancing too, it has fun breaks and a nicely varied melody and solos while being super smooth and fun.

Vem Vet by Lisa Ekdahl

8. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I only watched the first section.
    That song has a shuffle feel that was? popular with people teaching West Coast Swing. The "jivey" swing they are dancing seems mismatched with the music.
    I have no idea what name that "song" might have.

9. Steve Pastor

And... slight hijack here...

The hip use in that video seems quiet excessive to me, as does the bounce (the jivey look as I called it).
    The bounce I accept as part of "old style" East Coast Swing, which was called Lindy in most dance books for a long long time (but not with that music).
    Now, the question... the hip action, which looks like something someone with extensive Latin experience would do.
    I've seen various places references to "hip movements" in Lindy Hop, most notably by
    Margaret Batiuchok in her thesis "The Lindy." But, after searching through her paper I don't find much of anything that actually describes what she means. And she is not alone in talking about this.
    I searched DF, too, to shed light on it, and not much luck there.
    I've got all of Manning/Stevens tapes now, but not enough time to go through them all!

So, Lindy Hoppers, how does the hip action in the vid compare to what you do in Lindy?

PS Just about decided to go to the Lindy event on Wednesdays here in Portland, but a Milonga class on Tuesday won out. One day...

10. leee

leee Active Member

I learned the hip action once (ONCE!) in a ballroom ECS class. Tried it for a while without the expectation that it'd stick with me beyond the class. At least in my Lindy, I don't tend to isolate my hips from the rest of my torso to a significant degree.

Steve, you are positively omnivorous with your dancing!

11. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Ugh...my apologies to anyone I offend, but this is why I can't watch ballroom dancers do any kind of swing (and I teach ballroom, remember. It's sort of like dentists making dentist jokes.). This is not swing. This is a soulless latin dance done while some music plays that is somewhat related to something with a swing beat. What they're doing in the video does not look like swing, nor does it go with the cheesy music.

Steve, I let my hips do whatever they're gonna do, and while they are not stiff and do swing a bit from side to side when I do triples and rock steps, it's nothing like the video.

OP, why not write to P4D and just ask them what their songs are instead of posting all these threads? Although I'm curious as to why you want to know, since there's so much dance music out there that's actually good.

Sorry, guess I'm in a ranty mood today. Feel free to poke the bear and see what else comes out of my mouth...err keyboard!

Siggav likes this.
  12. Steve Pastor

Currently looking at books about the Ring Shout to determine how similar it is the the Big Apple.
    Someone moved into the office down the hall and he does some NW Native American dancing, which I would love to learn more about. But, like the Ring Shout, those dances are often religious in nature, so I don't think that is going to happen.

Might learn the version of the Shim Sham Manning and Stevens do in their videos. Is that the one most Lindy people do?

I guess I just love to move. But I need to challenge myself, and "perfect," or a dance being too well defined, is not attractive to me, so I keep looking around. Unnn, and Latin hip movement hasn't yet been my thing, although I did play with it a bit in salsa. Now African... yeah!

13. leee

leee Active Member

If you mean this one:

It's certainly the version that's performed in my local scene, if not the entire SF Bay Area. I did recently learn (well, "learn") a completely different Shim Sham routine, though I don't remember how it was identified.

:D

14. leee

leee Active Member

It also appears that our friend Rumbabob is, regrettably, a spam bot.

15. RiseNFall

RiseNFall Well-Known Member

:) I competed in CW ECS with a European ballroom pro and I was quite adamant/firm about "no Latin hip motion". Fortunately, he agreed (really, a Stetson and Latin hip motion just don't go together).

16. twnkltoz

I wonder if it's P4D.

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  17. twnkltoz

I find it interesting that you have started so many threads simply to find out the names of songs only from this video producer...especially given the quality of the music.

18. leee

leee Active Member

Dollars to Apple Jacks, I bet you're right.

19. leee

leee Active Member

It's an effective way to direct clicks to your Youtube videos, that's for sure.

20. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

Because midomi unable to identify it... Unfortunately I haven't got a youtube link to this song. Its lyric has a part: donde quiera que estes... or something like this. But it is a cha cha song!