Official Ballroom Song ID Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

I am a real man.
    midomi unable to identify this song... (the same situation: rumba, cha cha, salsa)

2. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I answered before I spotted all those other posts so it looked more like a weird but actual query.

As for the hips, yeah no, that's not anything close to what I'd do when dancing lindy and I basically agree with Jennifer on ballroom swing. I do watch it sometimes because I find it interesting to see what other people do but that's nothing resembling swing dancing that fits swing music.

Also speaking of the Shim sham, yeah that's the version most people across the world do, here's a fun video cut together from lots of people all over the world doing the shim sham. It was edited together in honour of what would have been Frankie Manning's 95th birthday

I'll hopefully do a workshop soon learning the tranky doo again and then the big apple lindy hop routine. Ive learnt the tranky doo once but need to learn routines like that around 3 times before it sticks and I can dance it.

Steve Pastor likes this.
  3. Siggav

Siggav Moderator Staff Member

Steve, I searched around a bit and found this clip. The couple is basically just doing simple steps, rock steps and triple steps, i.e. keeping it very basic but they're still being musical and dancing to the music. This is actual lindy hop in terms of how they move etc. obviously they are dancing to fairly slow music and were on purpose staying away from swing outs, turns or footwork variations, so it's not full on lindy but it's the closest I could get that would be kind of an actual lindy version of the stuff shown in the original video.

TrangBui and Steve Pastor like this.
  4. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

Cute! A little swagger, which is great with the music.

5. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Just liking doesn't go far enough to express my agreement with this!

Siggav and twnkltoz like this.
  6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Looks like I've been missing out!

Really, when I first saw Lindy it was pretty much a bunch of air steps and a lot of jumping around. Well, that was my impression. And the disapproval of the women that had to dance with me in the rotation was had a lot to do with my overall impression of the dance. I never thought of myself as that energetic, for one thing.
    But, as the years go by, my opinion about that is changing.

I'm kind of thankful that the CW place started that guys only cover charge, because now I'm free to do other things on that evening. Right now I've got a few things cooking but....

Siggav likes this.
  7. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Isn't the guy in the video (and I think the owner of P4D) a member here?

8. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

I don't know, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. You have to admit it's weird to have so much interest in such non-interesting music, all from the same person's videos.

9. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

William Peklinsky: For All Time

10. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

can anyone id the artist and where can i buy the cd
    thanks in advance

11. Catherder

Catherder New Member

I'm haunted by an instrumental waltz melody that I heard in the 80s or early 90s in ballroom studios. I've figured out the notes on a keyboard and tried entering them into musipedia.org, but that site doesn't come up with anything remotely like this tune. I'm wondering if there are any people out there who are intimately familiar with music played in studios in the 80s, whom I could call up and sing this tune to. I'm not kidding, it's driving me crazy! I really would like to own a copy of it. It had no lyrics and was quasi-classical, but not in a 19th c. way. If anyone has a keyboard, I'll send you the notes and you can see if you recognize it. Any suggestions most welcome, thanks!!

12. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

Ray McVay Orchestra - The Shadow Of Your Smile

13. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

14. leesalomon

leesalomon New Member

I wish I knew the title too!

15. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

Ray McVay Orchestra - The Shadow Of Your Smile

16. ballroomdancertoo

thanks Rumbabob. great people in this forum!

17. Rumbabob

Rumbabob New Member

This is one of my favourite songs.

18. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Could you make a Youtube video of the notes actually being played?

19. Catherder

Catherder New Member

I have a music recorder for singing lessons - I could record myself playing the melody on a keyboard and send it to you - would you be willing to listen to it? I have no idea how to make a youtube video and do not have smart phone.

20. ballroomdancertoo

cha cha id please at about 6 minutes in (after the samba)