Ballroom Dance > Official Ballroom Song ID Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

Somewhere in Time (John Barry)

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Talk about trying to make a square peg fit a round hole. That piece of music is not a waltz.

3. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Is that a joke?

4. Mengu

Mengu Well-Known Member

I think the music is 4/4, so, humorous analogy but no joke.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it is not a waltz...more like an intl FT in the spirit of waltz, which is why I should actually make note of it...might be one of the only ones I've ever heard and liked

6. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Well-Known Member

so the consensous is not waltz? but arent the figures they use waltz figures? Im confused. Musically it's 4/4 not 123? Request elaboration. thanks in advance

7. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I liked that very much. Foxtrot with a waltz feel.

8. fascination

it's 4/4... as to figures, not going to go back and watch it again just this minute (maybe later) ...it was a showcase so they may have taken license with some figures, but it looked predominantly like intl FT figures from what I recall

9. govnu

govnu Member

For showcase, great dancers have sophistication to break the music limitation

At least Luca & Loraine can make Foxtrot fit both Rumba and ChaChaCha, whether they are joking, ask them.

Link for dancing Foxtrot with Rumba music
    youtube com watch?v=r2BEabWFZBE

Link for dancing Foxtrot with ChaChaCha music
    youtube com watch?v=jiVu6XyF2Mc

It is an international standard Waltz performance with Foxtrot music.

If Judge Judy orders me to give the evidence, I will.:)

10. fascination

right...that is the beauty of showcases by pros

11. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

12. ajiboyet

I've seen a video where Arunas/Katusha and Sergey/Melia switched partners. Arunas/Melia danced foxtrot and Sergey/Katusha danced rumba to rumba music.

13. ballroomdancertoo

thanks for the explanation and the videos. I guess I was thinking quite a gap between doing a waltz to a foxtrot timing. but I guess anythings possible - anyone seen a paso to a rumba time? ;)

14. fascination

no...but my rumba frequently looks like a paso :)

15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I was wondering why you even thought it was a waltz, until I read the title on the YT page. It is mislabeled.

eta: I found several versions of this showcase on YT. All were labeled waltz. I don't get it. 3/4 is 3/4; 4/4 is 4/4. One time signature is waltz; one is not. Does dancing waltz figures in 4/4 time make it a waltz? I think not. IIRC, from my limited knowledge of Standard, there is a lot of crossover of figures from waltz to foxtrot. Just b/c there is not a single 3-step to feather to heel turn doesn't make it a waltz, imho; it makes it a less conventional foxtrot.

16. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Probably because the initial figures were waltz-ish...

I've always liked Sylvia Pitton's movement (I really should get out more and look at YT, but who has time?) and this one's no exception.

When I hear people say that Ballroom is very rigid, this is what I think they should see.

I think this is a fine example of using movement to celebrate the music.
    The thoughtful selection of the figures (obviously for deeper expression of the music) were spot on.

As for fitting 3/4 into 4/4, that's easy--one simply changes the timing around the figures in use (there were some SQQ, SQQ&, and I thought I even saw a SS&---on the NatTurns and Chasses).

It's nice to see a good couple like this take artistic license (and use figures from a variety of styles---like WF&Q, thought I even saw a modified Cha at the ending).

Fun! Thanks for posting.

m

17. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Well-Known Member

I don't understand. :confused: There weren't any arguments about Anastasia and Victor's performance not being a waltz; and that was over a year ago.

I think A & V do a wonderful job of showing the character of waltz, even in 4/4. :)

18. ballroomdancertoo

Thanks for that nice video. I dont know, seems like these "mismatch" dances are more enjoyable since it shows more of the character of the music...is that musicallity?...

19. ajiboyet

Please Help Identify Samba Music (Bryan & Karen DVD)

I came across this video series on Youtube by Bryan Watson and Karen Hardy on the samba. You can find one of them (the music starts playing immediately) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfl2u7DBkPM. Does anyone know the title of the music or the artiste?

20. ajiboyet

I can't believe no one knows it.