Official Ballroom Song ID Thread

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Somewhere in Time (John Barry)

2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Talk about trying to make a square peg fit a round hole. That piece of music is not a waltz.

3. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

Is that a joke?

4. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

I think the music is 4/4, so, humorous analogy but no joke.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

it is not a waltz...more like an intl FT in the spirit of waltz, which is why I should actually make note of it...might be one of the only ones I've ever heard and liked

6. ballroomdancertoo

ballroomdancertoo Active Member

so the consensous is not waltz? but arent the figures they use waltz figures? Im confused. Musically it's 4/4 not 123? Request elaboration. thanks in advance

7. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I liked that very much. Foxtrot with a waltz feel.

8. fascination

it's 4/4... as to figures, not going to go back and watch it again just this minute (maybe later) ...it was a showcase so they may have taken license with some figures, but it looked predominantly like intl FT figures from what I recall

9. govnu

govnu Member

For showcase, great dancers have sophistication to break the music limitation

At least Luca & Loraine can make Foxtrot fit both Rumba and ChaChaCha, whether they are joking, ask them.

Link for dancing Foxtrot with Rumba music
    youtube com watch?v=r2BEabWFZBE

Link for dancing Foxtrot with ChaChaCha music
    youtube com watch?v=jiVu6XyF2Mc

It is an international standard Waltz performance with Foxtrot music.

If Judge Judy orders me to give the evidence, I will.:)

10. fascination

right...that is the beauty of showcases by pros

11. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

12. ajiboyet

I've seen a video where Arunas/Katusha and Sergey/Melia switched partners. Arunas/Melia danced foxtrot and Sergey/Katusha danced rumba to rumba music.

13. ballroomdancertoo

thanks for the explanation and the videos. I guess I was thinking quite a gap between doing a waltz to a foxtrot timing. but I guess anythings possible - anyone seen a paso to a rumba time? ;)

14. fascination

no...but my rumba frequently looks like a paso :)

15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I was wondering why you even thought it was a waltz, until I read the title on the YT page. It is mislabeled.

eta: I found several versions of this showcase on YT. All were labeled waltz. I don't get it. 3/4 is 3/4; 4/4 is 4/4. One time signature is waltz; one is not. Does dancing waltz figures in 4/4 time make it a waltz? I think not. IIRC, from my limited knowledge of Standard, there is a lot of crossover of figures from waltz to foxtrot. Just b/c there is not a single 3-step to feather to heel turn doesn't make it a waltz, imho; it makes it a less conventional foxtrot.

16. madmaximus

madmaximus Well-Known Member

Probably because the initial figures were waltz-ish...

I've always liked Sylvia Pitton's movement (I really should get out more and look at YT, but who has time?) and this one's no exception.

When I hear people say that Ballroom is very rigid, this is what I think they should see.

I think this is a fine example of using movement to celebrate the music.
    The thoughtful selection of the figures (obviously for deeper expression of the music) were spot on.

As for fitting 3/4 into 4/4, that's easy--one simply changes the timing around the figures in use (there were some SQQ, SQQ&, and I thought I even saw a SS&---on the NatTurns and Chasses).

It's nice to see a good couple like this take artistic license (and use figures from a variety of styles---like WF&Q, thought I even saw a modified Cha at the ending).

Fun! Thanks for posting.

m

17. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

I don't understand. :confused: There weren't any arguments about Anastasia and Victor's performance not being a waltz; and that was over a year ago.

I think A & V do a wonderful job of showing the character of waltz, even in 4/4. :)

18. ballroomdancertoo

Thanks for that nice video. I dont know, seems like these "mismatch" dances are more enjoyable since it shows more of the character of the music...is that musicallity?...

19. ajiboyet

Please Help Identify Samba Music (Bryan & Karen DVD)

I came across this video series on Youtube by Bryan Watson and Karen Hardy on the samba. You can find one of them (the music starts playing immediately) at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfl2u7DBkPM. Does anyone know the title of the music or the artiste?

20. ajiboyet

I can't believe no one knows it.