Ohio Star Ball 08 - who's going??

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Sep 18, 2008.

1. pruthe

pruthe Member

Is this Virginia State Dancesport Champs? If so, couldn't find anything about online payment. Maybe it's been taken down now.

2. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

NJ Dancesport Classic always has online payment, is this comp part of the USA Dance?

3. Standarddancer

I think also Millennium had it this year, also accept credit card payments, but still no view of who else in your heat until the day of comp

4. pruthe

pruthe Member

NJ Dancesport comp is amateur only event. I did find Millennium online entry forms and payment page. Part of Compmngr software package. Might be too late for OSB to do for this year, but maybe they could next year. Or maybe there's some reason this is not being done. If I hear possible, will let know.

5. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

Re: NDCA comps, if I recall correctly, City Lights Ball had online registration/payment (o2cm) this year.

6. Standarddancer

hope NDCA events could catch up doing online registration & payments soon. So much more convenient!

7. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I agree. In this day and age I see no reason not to have online registration as well as the ability to pay online.

BTW- back on topic
    We're going :)

8. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I'm going. Will be there Tues night through sunday.

9. pruthe

pruthe Member

I checked with Brenda of OSB registration. She said online registration/payment mechanism was used in previous comps she was associated with (not OSB) and major problems were encountered. She started listing off some of the problems to me, but I'm not going to mention here. So with a comp the size of OSB, apparently it's not yet feasible. Maybe in time a process will be worked out and proven to work, but it doesn't sound soon. Guess this is another example of it's harder to do than you think.

p.s. If you have any questions on this, you could probably contact Brenda yourself and she could fill you in.

10. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I finally had the common sense of ignoring the talmudic schedule and looking instead on the entry form - there are no multidance events (pro-am IntStandard) except in championship and over 60 (age) - seems everything is by single dance in pro am - though there are multidance in AM.

Think I have it figure out.....

11. elisedance

elisedance New Member

HI Sam - are you going to OSB, or maybe I missed your post in the flurry...

12. syncopationator

there are never any multidance events at OSB except the World Pro/Am championships which are open category and yes, in the senior divisions.

Nevertheless, you could basically crown yourself champion of a certain level if you were to win all the single dances in that level or category (i.e. if you win the w/t/vw/f/q in say bronze A division, then you are the overall bronze A standard champion - make sense?) Its kinda like in Blackpool where they judge you on each dance after the QF.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that they did crown an overall champion in each division based on the single dance entry results, but I can't recall if it was OSB or not.

13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Thanks SynP (do you have a shortening for your name??) now I can pretend I'm dancing at Blackpool :). We'll enter the open gold/gold star and chase dreams at the World championship! Anyone know how many couples were there in the latter last year?

14. elisedance

elisedance New Member

One more thing - my AM partner may go (he's not decided yet) and we compete at Gold. So the options, as I see it, are 'novice' two dance events or to enter the single dances during the pro/am comps.

Anyone know where the action is here? Do the sub-championship AMs do novice or singles at OSB (it all seems rather different from other comps.

I suppose I should be less lazy and look at the results from last year ...

15. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, that's the one. mebbe. i remember how impressed my pro was with that feature for the comp.

16. syncopationator

The action here is definitely in pro/am. Since the collegiate nationals are held at the same time in the convention center, the entries for the adult syllabus and novice events are fairly low - look at last year's winner's circle which is still up and see for yourself. You can see there what the gold entries for pro/am were like as well. Typically competitors tend to dance down a level or two at Ohio because of the amount of competition so the lower level (i.e. bronze) has several rounds where as the gold has less rounds.

I'm dancing pre silver and silver and then also doing the open just for kicks.

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yes, i will be there. sorry, been bizzy week...posting down, overall.:cool:

18. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Can't believe it Sam - looks like our first meeting will be in a competition! Wave when you pass us by OK :) Loosing team member buys drinks... :)

19. BasicsFirst

BasicsFirst New Member

Yes, the sub-champ AM's do Novice. Check the winner's circle to see the turnout in your events last year... (2 and 3 couples respectively for different age groups). Only reason we haven't danced there yet.

20. elisedance

elisedance New Member

I see. I get the impression though that there are a few more entries in the single dance events - adult ams dancing during the pro-am comps as I understand it.