Ohio Star Ball 08 - who's going??

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Sep 18, 2008.

1. reb

reb Active Member

Good advice - Brenda has been extremely responsive.
  2. reb

reb Active Member

Pro/Am:

Generally speaking . . . however, there are exceptions such as these multidance events - Gentlemen's Bronze Standard, Gentlemen's Silver Standard, Gentlemen's Gold & above. There is also Rising Star for Smooth and Rising Star for Rhythm.

Amateur:

For perspective . . . there is a Novice multidance as well as a Pre-Champ multidance (with under/over 45 years age groups) in addition to the Championship multidances . . .

You can crown yourself anything, but I'd recommend sticking with the facts, such as I won the ____ at Ohio Star Ball.
  3. reb

reb Active Member

:rolleyes:

Now, where are those threads about competitors despising those who dance down and sandbag - there's a few DFers posting here who've posted this little fellow - :rolleyes: - when sandbagging is discussed - maybe just being polite!

Maybe its more like typically people enjoy or are surprised at the level of competition at Ohio, or that you were advised to sandbag, or that you know someone who sandbagged, but typical?? c'mon.

The level one dances is so easily found, its hard to not find it - its not like you can keep your level a secret, unless you hardly compete, and then . . .
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Reb: We can't 'dance down' for fear of being penalized by our amateur association in Canada - isn't that the case in the States?
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Pro/Am doesn't really have strict level rules like the amateur associations do, so the "sandbagging" in pro/am is more...fluid.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

er...more charitably, and I think truthfully in many cases, since in pro/am the pro is actually dancing and pros all have different POVs on how long someone should stay in bronze and exactly what kind of quality one should be able to execute before leaving, one person's view of what constitues sandbagging is another man's definition of responsibility, thoroughness and excellence...but BOT ;)
  7. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Since he was referring to 'novice' I got the impression that Reb was focusing on AM competition not pro/am. Reb?
  8. reb

reb Active Member

Elise, wow - I don't know how you made those connections - in post #74, I distinctly delineate Pro/Am from Amateur, and Novice is mentioned barely, but no more than anything else.

Post #75, which addresses sandbagging, does not define Pro/Am or Amateur, and certainly says nothing about Novice . . . but to help clarify, I was addressing Pro/Am since that appears to be sync's focus, and sandbagging in Amateur isn't really a problem because of the proficiency point system which pushes dancers along - as Joe stated also:

Hopefully that helps

The issue was not generally one person's definition vs another, but sync's specific statement about Ohio Star Ball:
    I agree that we should get back on topic - hmm, to do that and yet address the issue so other readers do not assume that competitors "typically" do that or that silence constitutes approval . . .
  9. fascination

Reb....thanks for the clarity...
  10. reb

reb Active Member

Thanks for your patience!
  11. fascination

highjack...am not patient, just easily confused and therefore grateful when clarity comes along...unhighjack
  12. fascination

fwiw...I will have most of wednesday free to fiddle around
  13. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Does anyone know, really quick, if the entry has to be *received* on Oct. 7 or postmarked by Oct. 7th. My partner is at the post office right now and is wondering how to mail the form, regular mail or next day delivery...
  14. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Usually is post marked. Let him mail it certified mail. make sure he has a receipt with today's date as stamp.
  15. reb

reb Active Member

Get 'em in! :car:

:D
  16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Can you please prod my partner Reb???
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The mailman took mine on Saturday and I already had an e-mail confirmation from Brenda last evening.
  18. Standarddancer

you received an email? I received a mail confirm. Guess they do different things to everyone?
  19. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Wow, you's worth a whole stamp! Must be up there with SS....
  20. Standarddancer