Okay, can anyone help an old lady?

Discussion in 'Country and Western' started by cpamama, Feb 23, 2006.

1. cpamama

cpamama New Member

I used to live in Colorado and a friend of mine taught me something called the 10-Step or Texas 10-Step (funny thing is that when I moved to Texas they had NO idea what I was talking about). It's been soooooo long since I danced it that I wondered if anyone could help me with the steps. Also, I live in a little town between Olympia, Washington and Centralia, Washington -- is there ANY place decent to go country dancing close to me?

Crystal
  2. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Hi cpamama, could it be the Texas Two Step?
  3. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hi C! Welcome. :)

Perhaps people can describe various steps and see if anything rings a bell.

C did you go out and watch people dancing? Maybe something would ring a bell if you did. Names for the same steps could differ from one palce to another.
  4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

This is one of the first C&W dances that I learned. It's basically done in a promenade postion, 18 counts, and as the the title suggests . . . it has ten steps before shuffling forward for 8 counts around the perimeter of the floor ccw, then it repeats the ten steps. Fun dance, and there are tons of alternate moves, especially as you shuffle forward - like spinning your partner in multiple spins . . . and it was fun if the leader had a follower on each side and turned them opposite of each other. Took some coordination, but was fun.

I'll see if I have a step description for 'ya.

I just stood up in my office and tried it . . . I still can do it - though "rough" and don't quote me on the shuffles forward . . . it could be different in areas, as I've seen the shuffles split into groups of 2, 4 counts.
  5. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Oh . . . and WELCOME cpamama . . .

I forgot my manners!!!

I wonder what you do for a living, as suggested by your handle . . .

. . . from the old man of the DF . . .
  6. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Try this for 10 Step.

1 Left heel forward
    2 step Left beside right and weight onto Left
    3 Right toe back
    4 step Right beside left but no weight onto Right
    5 Right heal forward
    6 hook Right over left
    7 Right heel forward
    8 step Right beside left and weight onto Right
    9 Left heal forward
    10 hook Left foot over right ankle
    now do 4 triples forward ("cha cha cha" or "1&2")
    LRL RLR LRL RLR
    start again with the first of the 10 steps
  7. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Sounds correct to me . . . 2 and 3 is like a slight hop to get the "look" . . .
  8. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Is this a Texas dance? Never seen or heard of it, here. Texas tango, yes. Texas ten-step, no. :?
  9. Spitfire

Spitfire Well-Known Member

The closest place I know of for C&W is the Rocking Horse Barn which is in Renton, but there must be others closer to or in Olympia. Try a Google search.
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Hope that this has been helpful cpamama. You still around? Does anything what we have said about the steps make sense and jive with what you learnt way back then?
  11. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

P,

The Ten Step is one of the first dances you learn when you start out into C&W dancing!!!
  12. pygmalion

Depending on from whom/where you learn it, Vince.
  13. bjp22tango

bjp22tango Active Member

Danced starting in side by side position with lady on right, with all sorts of turns done on the 4 triples forward

This is the way I learned it too. I don't remember it being called Texas 10 Step, just 10 step, although it definitely has a country flavor.
  14. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

With your dancing prowesses, You could learn the Ten Step in less than a minute . . . even if it was me who was doing the teaching!

The secret to C&W dancing, is to learn all of the basic foot movements, i.e., hitch, a shuffle, a kick-ball-change, and dozens of others . . . then it's a matter of putting them to use as you learn a line dance.
  15. pygmalion

I love you Vince. :kissme:
  16. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

. . . the feeling is mutual!
  17. G & B

G & B New Member

10 Ten Step

Vince A, I never heard it called the Texas Ten Step, just the 10 Step. It looks like Steve Pastor rembers the steps as I do. The dance is a lot of fun and you can do all types of different spins on the shuffles.
  18. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Wan't me who called it the "Texas" Ten Step. I know it as the 10 Step, and I agreed with Steve . . . er, uh, unless you're agreeing with me . . .???
  19. dancergal

dancergal New Member

Sounds like the 10 Step to me too,Vince, but I never heard it called the Texas 10 step. In Texas my friends tell me the only dance they do is the Texas 3 Step which I only did once with a visitor from Texas. Can't exactly tell you the steps he did, but it wasn't the 2 Step I'm familiar with.
  20. danceallstyles

danceallstyles New Member

how funny, you learn about new dances all the time. I used to think I knew a dance called Zydeco, that people in Arizona call Pony. It turns out that Zydeco was different and I was doing something called the Cajun Jig. They have regional dances all over and I think it would take more than one life time to learn them all.