one guys beginning dance struggles

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by wiseman, Jun 16, 2010.

1. nottomention

nottomention New Member

It sure sounded like the situation being described was one in which it was evident the figure would not be working without further expert input.

.... likely subsequent to work under expert guidance on a number of more fundamental topics first

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

thing is... we're not talking about a practice where these refinements get addressed. in a class it's generally about The Big Picture... the framework & bones of a pattern. when you have some semblance of how to get that done, then the refining questions & practice work begin...

3. nottomention

nottomention New Member

It's hard to see the forest when you must dodge the falling trees while trying not to trip over the fallen ones.

4. wooh

wooh Well-Known Member

Then get out of the forest. If you can't see the forest, and refuse to look for the forest, then get out. Don't drag your partner, who's still trying to see the forest, down to the beach. If she wanted to look for the beach, she'd go to the beach. Not to the forest.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ayuh...don't go to a class on "how to cut trees" if the beach is what you are after

6. nottomention

nottomention New Member

But the sign said "Beach: 0.2 miles ==>"

7. kayak

kayak Active Member

I wouldn't stress over the last couple minutes of a class. I would focus on the material as a whole.

There are many polite ways to be working on the class material even when one member of the partnership is lost. I think partner dance is as much a lesson about communication as about physical ability. Helping the other person accomplish the goal of the class - even if it is only at a super slow walk - is good training for our partnering ability.

8. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Nope, I don't deserve that congrats after all. I started the Intermediate class yesterday and it is too hard and intense. I will either self-demote myself to Advanced Beginners again or give up dancing altogether because it's gotten to the point where it's just too hard/impossible.

9. DWise1

DWise1 Well-Known Member

The step from beginning to intermediate always seems, at first, to be premature. In short, it's a big shock! But are you there because you are intermediate? Or because you are ready to learn to be intermediate?

Interestingly, so many things that we find to be so impossible to grasp, the next week becomes easy, only to be replaced by something else "so impossible to grasp".

Did you ever see that movie with Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss (1991), What About Bob?? "Baby steps. Baby steps."

10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this refers back to the lesson cost thread and the other fellow on the swing thread who is struggling with dance...this is my whole point...we hit spaces in dancing where we realize that, to get to the next stage in our dancing, we have to walk through an ugly patch...and that is where we learn who we are

11. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yep. In everything you learn, there will be a point where it gets VERY hard. If you're doing it right, in fact, each move up is more difficult because the material's harder. You either push through the hard part or you quit. Well, in most sports, you do eventually hit a true wall beyond which you can't go--even most competitive, never mind rec, skaters will wash out before senior because they're physically incapable of getting a triple or a quad or a Level 4 spin, no matter how hard they work or how many lessons they take--they weren't born with the right body or talent and that's it. There probably IS a level beyond which most people can't really improve their dancing because it's too hard. People are all born with limitations. But they're usually a lot higher than you think. The jump from "beginner" to "intermediate", whatever they mean, they probably not that point! It's just when it takes more effort to learn. The limiting factor there is can you push on when it's not as easy as it used to be.

12. wiseman

wiseman New Member

It’s interesting though because these classes are cycle class. You take a level for three months, get evaluated after three months, and if you pass, they promote you to the next level. There are 4 levels to take in this place (all are three-month cycles)…..Basic Beginners, Advanced Beginners, Intermediate, and Advanced. When a new cycle begins, that level picks up from where the previous level left off. I started off with Basic beginners in October, then got promoted to Advanced Beginners in January. The promotion to Advanced Beginners was just fine. It was just a continuation, only the steps got slightly harder. But nothing too bad. Then this month, I get promoted to Intermediate. That last day of Advanced beginners to the first day in Intermediate was a HUGE jump in difficulty. The footwork is more intense, therefore requiring A LOT of practice everyday, and everything is done at a faster pace. You’d think since these classes are progressive, it shouldn’t be too bad, but for some reason, every school manages to make the promotion to Intermediate rather difficult and shocking.

13. danceronice

That's a problem with anything taught as a class--it's based on averages, ie what the AVERAGE student should be ready for. Averages rarely are exactly on point for every student. Some students will follow the "Take this one for X weeks, then you will be read for this one for Y weeks," but some won't. Depends on the group how effective that is.

But I've also never gone to a studio that "promotes" you out of group classes whether you want to or not. There are some classes where you need permission of the teacher, or approval from your private instructor (at new studio, IIRC, to take the Silver group you have to check with your private teacher first) but I haven't run into any that will throw you out of the Bronze classes if you don't want to go! The point is what you're comfortable with. Maybe if it's the beginner class for parties (which is aimed at first-timers and is usually stuff like a salsa basic, single-time swing, etc.) or beginner salsa a teacher might gently suggest they try the higher-level class TOO, but as long as the student feels they're getting something out of the class they're in, I haven't run into anyone who'll kick you out at gunpoint.

14. wiseman

wiseman New Member

There is no promotion "out of the group class." The cycle ends after three months. They will just restart everything every three months. The teacher evaluates each and every students and determines whether they'll eligible to begin the next level when the new cycle begins that following week. I can continue with the Advanced Beginner but it will be the same stuff I've learned because they've restarted everything since it's the new cycle. They've done the same with Intermediate. They've restarted it and will build up during these three months. So in the Intermediate class, the starting point is very difficult and will only get worse as they build up on things.

It's like a college course. You pass Biology 101, then you can take Biology 102 in the next semester. You fail, you retake Biology 101. Our dance school is the same. They pass or fail you. You fail, you retake Advanced Beginners and relearn the material for the next three months. Or you pass, and get promoted to take the Intermediate course. I passed, so I got moved up to Intermediate. That is why I said that I will self-demote myself to Advanced Beginners since I feel Intermediate may be too much for me.

15. There are times when you going to feel that your progress has taken 3 steps backwards...That's when a lot of people quit....

I recommend you retake beginner and advanced beginner classes again and again until those become second nature and then move up a level.

Private lessons are also a great option

16. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Yep--there definitely is an ebb and flow. And once you understand a few things, then there's more challenges around the next corner. For some people, those challenges keep them coming back for more...

17. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Dancers up to the Silver level feel they are advanced but I am at the Gold level and yet I always feel like I am a total beginner. Is this weird?

18. danceronice

No. The more you know the more you realize you DON'T know.

19. laucy.my

laucy.my Active Member

Phew...glad I wasn't the odd one out! :D

20. DL

DL Well-Known Member