One of Pablo and Noelia's last performances together :(

Discussion in 'Videos' started by gniksic, Jul 7, 2011.

1. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

WOW - He too has great musicality!

2. milongadicto

milongadicto New Member

Musicality is the minimum requirement... I don't know why you are all salivating at Pablo's musicality. It's passable at best, but all the other things I criticised about his dance (posture, embrace, walk, left arm) trump this single element.
    Carlitos, on the other hand, has so many other things to praise in addition to his musicality that it baffles me that it seems to be the only thing you are focusing on.

3. salthepal

salthepal New Member

I agree. We wouldn't be having this argument about Pablo's dancing if he was an amateur. We would probably be saying how great he dances considering he's an amateur. But a professional dancer and teacher needs to be held to a higher standard. He can't be sloppy; he needs to be a role model. A professional tango dancer just can't be hunched forward with his head pulled back and chin pointed up, while his fanboys (and girls) gush about his musicality.

Imagine seeing a beginner dance in that position. Wouldn't you be pointing out to him that he should stand up straight and let his head hang naturally? Why overlook that when it's a professional dancer that you adore? That's my major beef with a lot of "nuevo" dancers. They idolize creativity and self-expression (which I think are very important) so much, that they will allow sloppy dancing in the name of creativity.

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

To be honest, I haven't watched that much of either of the these couples videos, but just looking at the two videos in this thread, it's not even close. I like the Pablo & Noelia video better than the Carlitos & Noelia video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtHPmEHjDcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb3J2qiPEpo

That being said, there's plenty of leaders that I like better than either one of these two (again, based on the single video of each couple in this thread). If there are some better ones of Carlito (since you are raving about him), feel free to post them (or just the Youtube video ID, since this forum won't let you post full URLs yet).

5. milongadicto

milongadicto New Member

Seriously, Pablo can't even stand up straight. Raving about Carlitos? I only said it's an upgrade from Pablo, which really isn't saying that much. And I also noted that there's much more to his dance than his musicality. But if you can't see this, I won't argue with somebody who wears a hat to a milonga. I won't challenge your fashion sense, but as it has been remarked, men who wear hats to milongas tend to be awful dancers. And given your nonsensical points of views, that seems to be the case.

6. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

That was totally uncalled for.

I can vouch for the fact that Dchester is NOT an awful dancer.

Of course, he wasn't wearing a hat that night, though.

7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Wow. That is just so incredibly rude and uncalled for. And all because someone had the nerve to disagree with you. Wow.

8. gniksic

gniksic New Member

I'm not trying to convert people to Pablo&Noelism. I personally like his Di Sarli instrumental interpretations the best, which is why I salivate from time to time. Sorry, I'll wipe myself off before I post the next video... (wink)

You seem to be trying to convert us violently to Pablo-atheism. And you seem to be judging his dancing (musicality, anyway) from performances only and through your own likes and dislikes. An error many tangueros do.

Dismissing your arguments is easy, because you never pointed out what you consider *wrong*. You only expressed your dislike, which is OK if you call it that way: those "problems" of his are simply your personal taste, if you ask me. Admit it, and stop attacking people you don't know simply because they disagree with you. So let's go:

What about his left arm? I believe (know, for a fact, from workshops) his left arm seems to be moving a lot because it's his STYLE of accenting what his whole body does. And it does, believe me. He doesn't lead with that arm. You don't like it? Many people don't like it! So what, it's his style and their taste. I have yet to hear a nice reason why it would be *wrong*.

His walk? You never said what you consider wrong with his walk? Why I *like* it: the way he walks is soft, perfectly accented. Nice long steps when music wants them plus sometimes very unexpected and inventive short steps as a part of his rhythm interpretations.

The only partially true thing about your arguments which I haven't covered so far, IMHO, is his posture. It does seem strange lately, but it is consistent with his style in a strange way. If I see someone else with that posture, I might dislike it. But, in that strange way, I can't say his posture is *wrong*... just strange. I know for a fact there are many tangueros who would dislike Carlitos's posture the same way you dislike Pablo's.

9. Gotta love this :) Using the same kind of logic, you could probably demonstrate that Pablo is an awesome dance (since he doesn't wear a hat, and as it has been remarked, balding dancers tend to be good dancers).
    Anyways, back to the video : I find it absolutely awesome. More than the musicality, there's something about the way they move together to the music.

10. dchester

Good comeback.

[​IMG]

11. dchester

Ah gee, thanks. I look forward to our next tanda.

[​IMG]

Yeah, it was a bit too warm for a hat that evening.

:cool:

I'd explain why I was wearing a hat at the milonga in my avatar, but to be honest, I couldn't care less about what someone who argues like a 10 year old thinks of me, (and I'm certainly not talking about you).

12. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Although I have been known to argue like a 10 year old... I try to save it for our 2nd milonga though....;)

13. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

My first reaction: if Carlitos, why then not me?

14. dchester

After seeing the photo in the other thread, I'm also thinking, why not you.

:eek:

15. opendoor

16. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

OK guys! ... are you ready soon? .... can we take next video?

Carlos has now loaded a new *with Noelia* video on his Channel! The song is mostly slow but they can still keep me mesmerized.

Her feet clearly take musical freedom but without breaking the balance between the couple - I mean she is not taking over the leading but expressing the music. He is stable enough to balance his part of the dance.

She kicks a musical bell at 0:50 - I love it!

Noelia Hurtado y Carlitos Espinoza - Una Vez

17. dchester

I'm ready. I just need the URL, or at least the Youtube video ID.

18. salthepal

salthepal New Member

19. LadyLeader

LadyLeader Member

I would looooove to but I am still at HTML off -state!

It seems we got some help here - THaNKS!

20. opendoor

youtube.com/watch?v=oxwBfckHwkg

Their perfomance is nice, but (I dont want to iterate) that´s what I expect of either of us at tomorrows milonga.