Online Registration??

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by hereKittyKitty, Oct 2, 2012.

1. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

I do not like old school entry forms! Seriously. It can't be that expensive to use o2cm or something similar.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  2. hereKittyKitty

Sorry to rant but it has been very frustrating finding a place to print, only to find that the browser on said computer was not compatible and would not display the entry forms. So I went home, emailed the form to myself, went back to our business office and the printer cartridge was out.o_O
    Standarddancer and Bailamosdance like this.
  3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

o2cm does not accommodate pro-am and multiple heats on the floor very well.
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I don't know about pro/am and multiple heats, but it does amateur and multiple heats just fine.
  5. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

I'll admit that when I do my pro-am competitions, o2cm is something I dearly miss. Maybe it itself is not the answer for pro-am, but from a competitor's standpoint, I do wish there were something more o2cm-like being used across the NDCA competitions I do.

Admittedly, it's less a matter of entry forms for me than it is a matter of my loving the database functionality for things like competitor-stalki ... err, historical research purposes. ;)
  6. kckc

kckc Active Member

LOL "historical research purposes"

I am sooo going to use that...
  7. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

I agree with the difficulty of filling out entry forms - everyone has a website and, yet, competition organizers make it very difficult to register. The fact that o2cm "doesn't accommodate" pro-am registrations is a bad excuse not to have some sort of online registration system. This is more of a registration design problem than anything else. I feel that registering for a competition shouldn't be a skill in of itself.
  8. Larinda McRaven

There is an online registration program for NDCA pro-am competitions. Jananananana. It is based off of CompManager, the program that every organizers uses for registration and running the comp. There are only a few comps that use the online option. I invite you to fill it out for me and 5 students, the next time. As good as it is, it is still a p.i.t.a. And paper is much more a blessing than a curse in that instance.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

IMO that's because NDCA comp rules aren't really standardized as much as USAD rules are. The latter has a strict set of rules that all organizers must follow--makes for easy entry standardization. Not so for the former.
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  10. Larinda McRaven

Have you used it? I don't see how you can assign blame for the lack of usability in a product you have never touched or used, especially in a system you don't even frequent. There is nothing about the NDCA that makes registering online bad. The fact that you only register one couple, and maybe a handful of dances, makes o2cm easy. The fact that I have to sometimes register 5 couples, in sometimes up to 60+ entries each, makes the process really confusing, regardless of NDCA, USAdance, or my backyard bbq and competition.

At least on paper I have visual confirmation at all times where I am. The moment you hide the big picture by only showing me one screen. Perhaps I only see rhythm scholarships for one student, but I can't see his single dances in standard, his championships in smooth, his package or tickets... it is so easy to get lost. It is hard enough to do it on paper... I end up sitting on my living room floor and fanning them all out in front of me trying to see them all at the same time.

(and I REALLY encourage you guys to try it before you go around pointing and laughing when you hear about teachers or studios complaining or trying to get paid for filling out entries).
  11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Perhaps your comments about not seeing the big picture are similar to entry and comp results pages we see as competitors? There is no easy way to see for instance who is entered or in your heats, and results are awkward to say the least. Maybe the people who created the NDCA software did it on purpose, but more than likely they created the format without regard to people who would actually use it, like yourself.
  12. Larinda McRaven

filling out entry forms is not related to peeking at who is your heat. I was not talking about that. I was talking about LITERALLY seeing what you just entered as you continue to fill out more entries. Instead you are ushered to another page... and there is no visual trail of what you are doing.

I do agree that AcessDances version of the results is almost unusable. But HOW is that NDCAs fault??
  13. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I also like when there is spacious practice floor (nice wood floor the best);) easy access from airport to hotel, also like if there are many other hotels nearby comp venue so in case comp hotel all sold out, could easily find other hotels; variety of judges, good scheduling (not that I have to dance RS on Thursday night, and Open pro on Saturday night).

Regarding the entry forms, would really be nice if there are any possible way to at least allow online entries for couples dance only pros or amateurs heats. It is understandable that the current online system O2cm does not accommodate pro-am entries so well:( it appears it is not designed to handle one person with multiple partners, thus would be really sweet allow the pros and amateurs (people don't have multiple partners) to register online, and pro-am entries to be handled separately; or at least can take online payment by credit card or paypal, so I don't have to print entry form and run to post office to mail check. Would really be sweet can totally eliminate the extra time to print, fill out forms, scan to email or fax (some comps don't even take personal checks, so must run to post office to buy money orders), etc. So if there are such nice online system, couples just click, click, click to register, no printing or running to post office, would be cool !!! Now Blackpool registration allows couples to set up an account to register online, it still does not allow the peeking of who else in your heat, only to eliminate the printing and mailing or faxing steps, just fill up the forms online, system provide a page to review your entries before you click "submit", sort of like online shopping, pay by credit card, your entries are like the products you will be buying, quite neat!
  14. hereKittyKitty

Guys!!! I did not mean to cause a stir about entry forms:oops:. I can see how it would be easier to use paper for multiple Pro am entries. Its just in my everyday life, I do not have easy access to a printer let alone a fax machine.
    For the little person such as myself, going to business office, printing forms, filling out forms, going to apartment office, asking the person at the front desk to please fax to such and such number, waiting around to see if it went through, contacting the organizer to make sure they got it etc, etc etc. Kind of a hassle really.
    Standarddancer likes this.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I confess I have never had to enter even a single pro/am student in any heats, online or on paper. I have, however, used O2CM for registration of a comp I help run. My comment was really more towards the way NDCA comps are set up so inconsistently, making standardization of entry systems difficult. Some NDCA comps are entry-fee transparent, some aren't. Some studios/instructors are entry-fee transparent, some aren't. Age categories aren't consistent between comps. Scholarship and championship events aren't consistent between comps. Sometimes ladies and gents are combined, sometimes they're not. The list goes on.

Having seen the pro/am entry forms, I can only say that it behooves you to make your students do their own!
  16. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I used to do my entry forms on my own, I still often print them off for my own use and then current pro re-writes them....I think it's a good thing...
  17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as to spying on who is going to be there...I am always curious as to who is and isn't going to be there, but it is never a factor as to whether or not I go...though I will check the panel
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

agree
    here is the problem

O2cm is fantastic!!! I wish all the NDCA comps would adopt it and the pros would simply change the way they bill for their services it will be the same amount of money either way

I do all my own entries/packages etc for usa dance and ndca events this assures they are correct

but i love the umm err historical research aspect of O2cm so i know who im going to bea...errr compete against :)
  19. Larinda McRaven

That is not the job of the NDCA... to tell organizers how to run their events, how to advertise prices, or assign age categories. The organizers are free business men. The NDCA simply is an umbrella organization that assigns a "minimum standard" for quality for competitions.

People seem to think the NDCA owns these competitions. That is far from the truth.
  20. Larinda McRaven

it is incapable of efficiently handling the pro-am model.

good luck with that!!