Opening your own dance studio - how?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by pygmalion, Dec 21, 2003.

1. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I am in the US on the west coast. I am a social dancer, in International Style, American Style, and several club style dances. I did go through a medal system. I am not a dance teacher. I do know something about teaching and about running a successful business, though.

A medal system is good for giving students a sense of progress. But as long as you have a graduated curriculum, that sense of progress can be established.

While it may be what serious dancers look for, dance training is less important than getting paying dancers in through the door repeatedly.

2. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Always rent 1st... many places that own will help with build out costs with a good lease ( Ive done that on several occasions ) .

Staff.. go the independant contract route.. most of us are doing this now.. cuts the liability, and with the right amount of space, can give good income .We ( teachers ) are always on the lookout for good teaching space .

Failing studios.. did it once, never worked. Once they have a bad reputation, difficult to "sell" the same location again.

3. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

I guess that's one of those cases of YMMV. I've seen it do just fine.

4. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Ive personally been in that unfortunate position, with 2 of my past studios .

And, Ive seen this in many cities ( in the States ) over the yrs, where this holds to be true.. caveat emptor .

5. abundancer

abundancer New Member

Hi Pygmalion

Thanks for letting me know

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

yes, I have seen some thoroughly revived by a fresh change of management and employees.

7. lorenzof

lorenzof New Member

Our studio had it's opening tonight, an open house, and an excellent turnout. The floor was packed, and condensation was dripping off the pipes of the sprinkler system (we're going to have to insulate those.)

8. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I don't know, some days that could be a plus ....