Ostrich Feather Boa

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by K_8ie, Jul 17, 2009.

1. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

Hi Gang!
    A quick question(s). Where can I get a good Ostrich feather boa? How Can I tell the quality? How many plies?

I never thought that having a dress with feather could be so complicated!

I want it to be as thick as the layer she has on top in the following picture:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Please HELP!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Vintage ballgowns usually have 2-3 rows of feather poofs. Are you looking for a particular color? I have harvested quite a few of them from old gowns.
  3. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

Red please! On Anna it looks like she's got some that are super thick!
  4. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Ack, red is the one color I avoid. I have lots and lots of orange boas. They can be dyed, IIRC. Never tried it myself though.
  5. emkey

emkey New Member

well anna's dress was sponsored by flash dance search for there website if they sell the fabric and materials
  6. Ron

Ron New Member

http://www.ostrich.com/shop/cat?cmd=feather-index

This is where I have bought all my feathers. They are very expensive.
  7. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

how many plies do I get?
  8. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

I have bought from them as well. If you can get information on how to dye feathers (seems to be some info on Google, or maybe someone here has tried it?), I'd be more than happy to sell you orange boas reeeeally cheap. Unfortunately I do not have red.

As for ply, you can either use multiple lesser ply or fewer higher ply. I think I have some 4-ply ostrich boa from them, and it's pretty sad looking. Definitely not the happy fluffy poofy hem effect you're looking for.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The happy fluffy poofy hem look that was so en vogue back in the mid-nineties was achieved by using two rows of four-ply boas...
    Jananananana likes this.
  10. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

or an 8 ply boa?
  11. K_8ie

K_8ie New Member

BTW Chrisanne sells 5 plies. I wish I could have a real picture of what 4 or 5 plies looks like Ostrich.com has a close up, but I would like to see the whole thing :(
  12. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

Well, they do give an approximate "poof" diameter on the ostrich.com site, so that helps a bit. Perhaps what I bought was 2-ply.... not 100% sure. But their 4-ply doesn't quite look poofy enough either, even if there were two rows.
    [​IMG]
    (~8 inches wide)
  13. Naululani

Naululani Member

I am looking for where to buy for good quality Ostrich Boa's too. I have checked ostrich.com, DSI Chrisanne...they are all very expensive... I think I like 5ply or more in white. Please share information if you know a good place to buy the Ostrich Boa. Thank you!
  14. chocobebe

chocobebe Member

I bought mine from Chrisanne. I don't think you can get too cheap with them b/c when they're unreasonably cheap, they tend to mix the feathers w/ marabo. How many boas do you need?
  15. MissKitty

MissKitty New Member

I purchased mine from an Australian supplier:

photiosbros.com.au/feathershome.htm

Great service from them :)
  16. Naululani

Naululani Member

I would like to apply boas to the hem of my standatd gown. I mesured my skirt hem, it's 13m long. If I buy it from Chrisane, I need 8 pc Boas cost about $700!
  17. Naululani

Naululani Member

Thank you for the information.
  18. chocobebe

chocobebe Member

oh i feel your pain... i needed 7 boas for my latin dress. It really jacked up the price of the dress. hmm, i think i saw a site with slightly cheaper boas before, lemme see can i dig them up.
  19. Naululani

Naululani Member

Thank you ;)
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

FWIW, Ostriches Online (ostrich.com) is closing and I guess they're blowing out their product. Boas are 75% off, feathers are 80% off, etc. Promo code CLOSEOUT2011. If you're going to be needing some ostrich feathers in the near future, might be a good time to stock up.